• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is usual EG loafer size TTS? For example, I'm a 12D brannock, so I'd take 11/11.5 E in Picadilly.
@smartbrother

Exactly the same here. 11.5/12 for other EG's but 11/11.5 for Piccadilly's. US Size 12D

Alan Bee

I personally take UK6.5E for 202/606/888/82 myself and also take UK6.5E for 184 Picadilly (both lined and unlined) myself. But yes, I have seen some customers take half size down for 184 last loafers :)

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally take UK6.5E for 202/606/888/82 myself and also take UK6.5E for 184 Picadilly (both lined and unlined) myself. But yes, I have seen some customers take half size down for 184 last loafers :)

steve and I are feet buddies

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! But what is your brannock size?

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you! But what is your brannock size?

My brannock size is US7.5E on right and US7.25E on left. I also have high instep but small heel cup.
I can fit into UK7E for most EG lasts as well but I prefer my shoes a little snug at first.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Hello. First time in this thread but would like to ask for advice. I've never thought of owning a pair of EG's, not in this lifetime that is but I stumbled upon the Harrogate at Brook's Brothers. It was on sale and checked out for only $291 (with shoe trees), regularly priced at $1370. It was an impulse buy, saw it and bought it kind of thing. I'm worried about the sizing though as it is a half size smaller than my regular size. I wear US 10D for most shoes; Carmina, C&J, Alden, Allen Edmonds etc. I would say the size/last that fits me perfectly is the Carmina Forest 9uk,10us medium width.

The EG's are in size 9.5EE 888 last. Please let me know how would this fit? Thanks in advance.

haroro.jpg
harro.jpg
harrogate.jpg

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. First time in this thread but would like to ask for advice. I've never thought of owning a pair of EG's, not in this lifetime that is but I stumbled upon the Harrogate at Brook's Brothers. It was on sale and checked out for only $291 (with shoe trees), regularly priced at $1370. It was an impulse buy, saw it and bought it kind of thing. I'm worried about the sizing though as it is a half size smaller than my regular size. I wear US 10D for most shoes; Carmina, C&J, Alden, Allen Edmonds etc. I would say the size/last that fits me perfectly is the Carmina Forest 9uk,10us medium width.

The EG's are in size 9.5EE 888 last. Please let me know how would this fit? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1400164 View attachment 1400165 View attachment 1400166
Congrats, it's a heck of a deal. I saw it too but it was one whole size too big for me (8.5E/9US in EG). EG shoes are listed in UK sizing on BB website, so 9.5 = 10 US. I'm not 100% sure about width though. I believe Brooks used to carry only E width (equivalent to US D), so when I saw it online I assumed "EE" was a mistake and the shoe was actually E width.

Brooks had quite a few other steals, including C&J and AS made loafers and chukka at $170 or less. Unfortunately none in my size.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Congrats, it's a heck of a deal. I saw it too but it was one whole size too big for me (8.5E/9US in EG). EG shoes are listed in UK sizing on BB website, so 9.5 = 10 US. I'm not 100% sure about width though. I believe Brooks used to carry only E width (equivalent to US D), so when I saw it online I assumed "EE" was a mistake and the shoe was actually E width.

Brooks had quite a few other steals, including C&J and AS made loafersd and chukka at $170 or lower. Unfortunately none in my size.

I check their site on a daily basis, my keyboard is probably worn out for the letters P, E, A, L lol.

Are you 100% sure that 9.5 in EG BB is in UK sizing? Isn't it usually 1 full size up to convert from UK to US sizing?

If possible, can someone else confirm this?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I check their site on a daily basis, my keyboard is probably worn out for the letters P, E, A, L lol.

Are you 100% sure that 9.5 in EG BB is in UK sizing? Isn't it usually 1 full size up to convert from UK to US sizing?

If possible, can someone else confirm this?
EG standard is 0.5 size up from UK to US (8.5EUK for 9D US brannock). Some folks size down (i.e. 8EUK for 9D brannock) for more snug fit or for lower volume feet. A few size up (9UK for 9D brannock) on certain lasts to accommodate wider feet or higher instep. I own a pair of Galways that are 9UK/9.5US, but they are UK D width (US C width), so they fit fine.

ducatiti

Reaction score
EG standard is 0.5 size up from UK to US (8.5EUK for 9D US brannock). Some folks size down (i.e. 8EUK for 9D brannock) for more snug fit or for lower volume feet. A few size up (9UK for 9D brannock) on certain lasts to accommodate wider feet or higher instep. I own a pair of Galways that are 9UK/9.5US, but they are UK D width (US C width), so they fit fine.

Thank you for your input. So I do have a chance, that is if they ship it out. I have a feeling that I will receive an email that it is no longer available... Forgot to ask, how does the 888 last fit? Is it close to Carmina's rain last?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you say they fit "fine", does that imply that you would be unlikely to go this route again? I passed on a pair at Axel's that were a "D" width and half a size larger than my normal size because I was just uncertain whether it would be a decent fit given my correct size in an E width fits so well.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you say they fit "fine", does that imply that you would be unlikely to go this route again? I passed on a pair at Axel's that were a "D" width and half a size larger than my normal size because I was just uncertain whether it would be a decent fit given my correct size in an E width fits so well.

@ducatiti sorry I don't own any EG on 888 last. My ideal fit is TTS on both Carmina (UK8/US9 on Forest and Oscar) and EG (UK8.5E UK/US9). Leffot recommends wearing same size on all EG lasts, but YMMV.

@jischwar the UK9D Galway from Axel's is actually a pretty good fit, and I'd definitely buy again if another pair popped up in same size at 50% off (after additional 15% discount). I don't own a Galway on 82 last in my brannock UK8.5E/US9D to compare, so I hesitate to call the pair from Axel's a great fit. When I first tried the boots on, they felt just a tad too long. Then I bought the Westminster in UK8.5D and they're extremely snug and won't work at all, even though the suede has more "give" in it. That extra 1 cm in length makes a huge difference as the longer Galway tapers at just the right spot. The Galway from Axel's is a good fit with medium weight socks. It's about the same length as my UK8.5E Thorpe, but Thorpe has a slightly more snug (glove-like) fit.

One thing I've noticed after my first wear is the UK9D Galway on 82 last creases perfectly behind the stitching on the cap, while my 202 Galway in UK8.5E/9D creases just in front of the stitching and on the cap itself.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ducatiti sorry I don't own any EG on 888 last. My ideal fit is TTS on both Carmina (UK8/US9 on Forest and Oscar) and EG (UK8.5E UK/US9). Leffot recommends wearing same size on all EG lasts, but YMMV.

@jischwar the UK9D Galway from Axel's is actually a pretty good fit, and I'd definitely buy again if another pair popped up in same size at 50% off (after additional 15% discount). I don't own a Galway on 82 last in my brannock UK8.5E/US9D to compare, so I hesitate to call the pair from Axel's a great fit. When I first tried the boots on, they felt just a tad too long. Then I bought the Westminster in UK8.5D and they're extremely snug and won't work at all, even though the suede has more "give" in it. That extra 1 cm in length makes a huge difference as the longer Galway tapers at just the right spot. The Galway from Axel's is a good fit with medium weight socks. It's about the same length as my UK8.5E Thorpe, but Thorpe has a slightly more snug (glove-like) fit.

One thing I've noticed after my first wear is the UK9D Galway on 82 last creases perfectly behind the stitching on the cap, while my 202 Galway in UK8.5E/9D creases just in front of the stitching and on the cap itself.
That's an interesting comparison, but strange about the creasing. I do however find the 202 to be a bit roomier overall. I may have to try it at some point and for the right price.

I do have a pair of Westwood's half a size up in a "D" width but they are on the 888 last and I needed a heel pad to make them work.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. So I do have a chance, that is if they ship it out. I have a feeling that I will receive an email that it is no longer available... Forgot to ask, how does the 888 last fit? Is it close to Carmina's rain last?
I think the 888 last is pretty close to Rain. Rain has slightly more toe box room and a bit larger heel, but not enough to change your size imo. Here are a couple comparison pictures for you and hopefully they are helpful.

Rain (9.5UK), 888 (10E) and 888 (10D)
20200604_102908.jpg

20200604_102931.jpg

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting comparison, but strange about the creasing. I do however find the 202 to be a bit roomier overall. I may have to try it at some point and for the right price.

I do have a pair of Westwood's half a size up in a "D" width but they are on the 888 last and I needed a heel pad to make them work.
Do you use the heel pad to get tighter fit and reduce heel slippage? I do have very slight slippage, but since it's a boot and can be laced tight the slippage causes negligible fit issue.

At the end of the day, fit is truly unique to each individual and depends on the 3-D shape of our feet. Some folks consider C&J 341 last to be long and relatively voluminous (someone on the Carmina thread compared 341 to Soller). I have average or slightly below average instep and volume, but the Harlech hugs my feet on all the right spots and I love the fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads