• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so weird to be honest. PayPal recently changed their policies. As a online retailer you get charged a substantial amount of fees. If the product is returned, you would previously have the fees refunded, but not anymore. I'd quit PayPal too.
Interesting. Thanks for that info. Adjusts my perspective, a bit. Still the safest way to shop, I think.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So about my first pair of Edward Green :cool:

Again, thanks for your help with sizing and choosing the right model for me.
I am so happy with my choice.

I hope you like the pictures =)

First, the box. Great moment. You can already feel the quality.
View attachment 1368309

Then, the unboxing. Looks amazing.
View attachment 1368310

Out in the wild. They look gorgeous. Very nice dark brown with a strong grain.
View attachment 1368311
View attachment 1368312

Getting ready, feeling the pressure.
View attachment 1368315

Amazing. They feel and look so great.
Lighter than expected, in a very good way because they still feel quite substantial.
The R2 sole is amazing. Thin, good grip and good with water.
View attachment 1368317
View attachment 1368318

Funny comparing with what they replace.
View attachment 1368319

I am extremely happy with the shoes as they are. Amazing quality, amazing look and they fit really well.
Can't wait to get out whenever that might be.
Nevertheless, I spotted a few things and would like your opinion about them.

First, there is one spot that is not well finished as you can see. There is a thread that comes out and you can see a piece of leather that is not colored as the rest.
View attachment 1368320
View attachment 1368321

Second, there is quite a difference in the shape of the sole at the front of the shoes.
On the first picture, you can see on the left that the shape of the sole is quite square-ish and that it goes out further from the shoes.
On the second picture, it is more rounded and I prefer it that way.
Honestly, this is quite noticeable and affects the overall shape or perceived shape of the shoes (at least from my point of view when wearing them)
View attachment 1368322 View attachment 1368323

Then, there is some color missing here.
View attachment 1368324

On to the next pair :cool:
Is that London grain? Gorgeous shoes. I wouldn't worry about any of the issues you've highlighted. All very minor. Could you please elaborate on how the R2 sole feels/flexes? Thanks.

ixk

Reaction score

View attachment 1368309

View attachment 1368310

View attachment 1368311
View attachment 1368312

View attachment 1368315

Lighter than expected, in a very good way because they still feel quite substantial.
View attachment 1368317
View attachment 1368318

View attachment 1368319

I am extremely happy with the shoes as they are. Amazing quality, amazing look and they fit really well.

First, there is one spot that is not well finished as you can see. There is a thread that comes out and you can see a piece of leather that is not colored as the rest.
View attachment 1368320
View attachment 1368321

Second, there is quite a difference in the shape of the sole at the front of the shoes.
On the first picture, you can see on the left that the shape of the sole is quite square-ish and that it goes out further from the shoes.
Honestly, this is quite noticeable and affects the overall shape or perceived shape of the shoes (at least from my point of view when wearing them)

View attachment 1368324

The different toe shapes seem a bit weird. Is it the welt?

JohnFM

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new shoes! I own the same pair and agree that the fit and overall quality is very high. My pair has some of the same 'details' as yours. I would regard the variation in shape of the front of the soles as minor and nothing to worry about. In addition, your and my Dovers have a more rounded toe in general than that of other Dovers on 606 (e.g., some mink suede that I've seen).

My biggest question concerning my own, similar pair relates to the EG trees. They're sized for the shoes (UK10E) yet are very difficult to insert into the shoes, to the point that I fear excessive stretch. Has anyone else experienced this?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new shoes! I own the same pair and agree that the fit and overall quality is very high. My pair has some of the same 'details' as yours. I would regard the variation in shape of the front of the soles as minor and nothing to worry about. In addition, your and my Dovers have a more rounded toe in general than that of other Dovers on 606 (e.g., some mink suede that I've seen).

My biggest question concerning my own, similar pair relates to the EG trees. They're sized for the shoes (UK10E) yet are very difficult to insert into the shoes, to the point that I fear excessive stretch. Has anyone else experienced this?

All of my EGs, shoes and boots, come with EG lasted shoe trees and I've never had an issue inserting them. It's a bit tricky at first, but they actually slip right in once you figure out the angle of insertion (no...I did not have a career writing for Penthouse!).

As for shoe trees stretching shoes, in general, this will not happen. If you've ever used a proper shoe stretcher, you would notice the degree of load necessary to affect a change in the material is quite significant.

I'm not sure, but there may be a youtube video on how to do this.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for that info. Adjusts my perspective, a bit. Still the safest way to shop, I think.
PayPal is easy. Most credit cards in Norway offer some kind of insurance for online shopping too, though.

JohnFM

Reaction score
I'll try them again Phileas, focusing on the angle of insertion, as you say. But I fear the wood is just too big for these beautiful Dovers ;-)

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unlikely that shoe trees would cause any type of excessive stretch.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
Is that London grain? Gorgeous shoes. I wouldn't worry about any of the issues you've highlighted. All very minor. Could you please elaborate on how the R2 sole feels/flexes? Thanks.
It's Walnut country calf.
I'll elaborate more later on the R2 sole when I have more feedback.
But they are light, comfortable, good support, good grip and seems flexible enough.

The different toe shapes seem a bit weird. Is it the welt?
Yes, it's in the welt which appears to be a different shape.

ixk

Reaction score
A cobbler could conceivably shave off the welt a bit and use a burning iron to refinish it then, although I'm not sure the difference is noticeable in person.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1368309

View attachment 1368310

View attachment 1368311
View attachment 1368312

View attachment 1368315

View attachment 1368317
View attachment 1368318

View attachment 1368319

View attachment 1368320
View attachment 1368321

View attachment 1368324

Just check out how a factory trims soles down on the machine, heaps of YouTube clips. You will understand why no 2 sole outlines are the same.

mockingboy

Reaction score
MTO help here...id like to get a pair of Dover’s in chestnut antique.

I willbe wearing exclusively with jeans and trying to figure out last and sole; was thinking 606 on a tapered double leather but then also saw a 66 Last online(never in person) and also thinking about R1 sole.

I have a couple pairs of Dover’s in 606 so I know the shape and just want a more tapered sole.

Thoughts and photo inspiration?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In part for me it would also depend on what part of the country/world you live in. I love the 202 on the dover for casual wear the 82 to me (favorite last btw) is just too pointy for the dover.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
Just check out how a factory trims soles down on the machine, heaps of YouTube clips. You will understand why no 2 sole outlines are the same.

Thanks, interesting indeed.

Nevertheless, I have mixed feelings about this.
Indeed, it's a sign of craftsmanship and makes the pair truly unique..
On the other hand it affects the perception of the shape of the shoes. The left looks more squarish.
I guess I will learn to love it with a lot of wear.

Anyway, as I said, I love the shoes and was just looking for the community opinion whether it is acceptable or not.

Thank for helping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads