• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iadbound

Reaction score
I never really got a straight answer from Leffot. This was at the now defunct Chicago location. I kept getting excuses like quality control as well as the pilfering of experienced craftsmen by a new, rival shoemaker.

I finally emailed EG directly and expressed my frustration. That seemed to get the ball rolling.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last 2 weeks in EG ...

AD8F4729-2CF6-460D-9FB8-80DEF9E68862.jpeg
BCB0FA39-465B-45C1-98C9-46E0573CF17C.jpeg
8E8FBD83-A3A2-495F-A771-7641D2115D1C.jpeg
33694920-9AF0-41C3-9732-E4CE8C26DC3B.jpeg
4C0085E9-C4CD-466A-B9C2-04478068D133.jpeg
AC9B8193-8EFA-4583-A34A-91B2F70C53B0.jpeg
8D53FB0C-A453-4BC4-A4E0-B6DBB0E2F3B3.jpeg
134F139A-4CD2-4FF0-86F5-51A2C3FDC322.jpeg

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Gents, can I ask which size fits better?
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Alden: US8D plaza last, US7.5D barrie last
C&J: UK7E 348 (Best fit) UK7E 341 last, UK6.5E 325 last
Carmina: UK7E for Rain last, UK7.5E Simpson last

Please see the photos if it helps.
UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5
IMG_9560.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9561.jpeg
    IMG_9561.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9560.jpeg
    IMG_9560.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

TokenMao

Reaction score
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5

IMG_9560.jpeg

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:

Based off of what you've said, I'd say go for the 7.5. If your toes are squished at the front in the 7 then it's too short. Where does the ball of your foot align with the shoe? It should be at the widest part. Also with your high instep you're getting a very wide v-gap on the facings.

A bit of heel slip is okay, as the sole breaks in it should go away. What type of sole is it?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Personally i think the 7.5UK fits and looks better. Heel slip can go away with time as the sole starts to flex and give. As well, if the instep isn't too tight, a tongue pad could also help with the heel slip.

There appears to be too big of a gap at the V for the 7UK and your toes shouldn't be touching the front of the shoes either.

UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5

IMG_9560.jpeg

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Based off of what you've said, I'd say go for the 7.5. If your toes are squished at the front in the 7 then it's too short. Where does the ball of your foot align with the shoe? It should be at the widest part. Also with your high instep you're getting a very wide v-gap on the facings.

A bit of heel slip is okay, as the sole breaks in it should go away. What type of sole is it?
Personally i think the 7.5UK fits and looks better. Heel slip can go away with time as the sole starts to flex and give. As well, if the instep isn't too tight, a tongue pad could also help with the heel slip.

There appears to be too big of a gap at the V for the 7UK and your toes shouldn't be touching the front of the shoes either.

Thank you for you guys’ advice. But this Chelsea is on R1 sole. Do you think heel slips will go away with R1 sole?

TokenMao

Reaction score
Thank you for you guys’ advice. But this Chelsea is on R1 sole. Do you think heel slips will go away with R1 sole?

Slight heel slip should, but obviously can't guarantee anything with 100% certainty. Rubber soles tend to be a bit stiffer compared to single leather soles and require longer to break in. That being said R1 is fairly slim / flexible for a rubber sole and isn't too hard to break in. How much space do you have between the end of the shoe and your heel when you're standing? If you can easily fit a finger in there then it might be too long and in that case heel slip won't go away.

Meyboom

Reaction score
This looks to be the 82 last? Although it's a great looking last it is not very suited for someone with a high instep. With the 7.5UK it looks like there is quite some space between your heel and the shoe which makes me think that 7UK is the best fit length-wise. It does look tight though width-wise and on the instep which is due to the way that the 82 last is designed.

JohnFM

Reaction score
^ Meyboom, what is it about the 82 that isn't well suited for a high instep? Is the 606/202 better in this regard?

jamesnyc

Reaction score
This looks to be the 82 last? Although it's a great looking last it is not very suited for someone with a high instep. With the 7.5UK it looks like there is quite some space between your heel and the shoe which makes me think that 7UK is the best fit length-wise. It does look tight though width-wise and on the instep which is due to the way that the 82 last is designed.
It's 82 last indeed. Yes, what you said is exactly right. Yes, the reason why I'm hesitating is because UK7's width is too tight. I wonder, whoever has high instep, is it better to go UK7.5 in 82 last shoes then? (Since V gap is too big for UK7)

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Slight heel slip should, but obviously can't guarantee anything with 100% certainty. Rubber soles tend to be a bit stiffer compared to single leather soles and require longer to break in. That being said R1 is fairly slim / flexible for a rubber sole and isn't too hard to break in. How much space do you have between the end of the shoe and your heel when you're standing? If you can easily fit a finger in there then it might be too long and in that case heel slip won't go away.
I just tried what you suggested, and when I put my finger between end of shoes and my heel, the finger goes in until the mid-point from insole to the top (back height). In this case, do you think heel slips will go away?

Meyboom

Reaction score
^ Meyboom, what is it about the 82 that isn't well suited for a high instep? Is the 606/202 better in this regard?
Of course all feet are different but in my experience the 202 last is a bit better suited to a high instep. 606 is difficult to say since this last is mostly used for the Dover which is of course a derby. But even then I don't feel the 606 last is very accomodating to a high instep. For guys with a really high instep like myself and looking for a well-fitting oxford I would recommend Italian makers like Enzo Bonafe and Stefano Bemer...

Meyboom

Reaction score
It's 82 last indeed. Yes, what you said is exactly right. Yes, the reason why I'm hesitating is because UK7's width is too tight. I wonder, whoever has high instep, is it better to go UK7.5 in 82 last shoes then? (Since V gap is too big for UK7)
Not sure if that's any help but I think a 7UK in 202 last would work better for you (or the 82 last in F-width but it will still be tight in the instep area).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads