• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mina262

Reaction score
Hi guys. With 184 last, would vamp stretch over time? Just picked up a pair of Piccadillys. Fits a bit tight on one of my feet at the moment.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. With 184 last, would vamp stretch over time? Just picked up a pair of Piccadillys. Fits a bit tight on one of my feet at the moment.
I have a higher instep and had to get rid of two pairs due to it. They were both lined versions, so ymmv depending on how tight and whether they are lined or not.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
If anyone has EG Chelsea with rubber sole, would you mind to share how’s rubber sole feels? EG website describes as slim rubber sole, wondering whether it makes shoes little chunky compare to leather sole.

lazym

Reaction score
If anyone has EG Chelsea with rubber sole, would you mind to share how’s rubber sole feels? EG website describes as slim rubber sole, wondering whether it makes shoes little chunky compare to leather sole.
I have a pair of belgravia loafers with a rubber sole and don't really notice it, besides softer footfalls. If that makes sense.

BomTrady

Reaction score
These galways keep calling me. I’m a sucker for blue/navy with all clothing although not sure how versatile these will be. Anyone have them?
I have them. They are beautiful, but not very versatile. I don’t think of them as dressy because they are Utah all over and Utah doesn’t shine that well in my opinion. I have the brown suede on brown delapre and they seem much more versatile as the delapre leather shines well and easy and I feel they go with tailored clothing or weekend stuff, especially grey trousers - the color of most of my trousers.

Because I found the navy slightly limiting, I just got black (Utah on delapre) and feel like they are more versatile as you can dress them up or down and I have mostly grey odd trousers . Obviously, one man’s opinion.

jimney

Reaction score

Not what you asked, but I have the rubber sole on some Dovers and it’s super thin, durable, and comfortable. My favorite sole on any of my shoes and it lasts so well it’s unbelievable.

Iadbound

Reaction score
I have the Chelsea on the R-1. Unless you really look close, no can tell the difference. Very comfortable and easy to wear. Doesn’t feel clunky, obviously not exactly not leather in terms of feel.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for the R1

Have them on my unlined Duke’s. Great pairing. Love and wear them often.

Wouldn’t exactly call them ‘comfortable’ though, it is a 1/4” slab of rubber after all, but they’re not painful by any stretch. I do think the standard leather sole is slightly more comfortable by way of footbed settling over time...but at this point we’re delving into minutia.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for the R1

Have them on my unlined Duke’s. Great pairing. Love and wear them often.

Wouldn’t exactly call them ‘comfortable’ though, it is a 1/4” slab of rubber after all, but they’re not painful by any stretch. I do think the standard leather sole is slightly more comfortable by way of footbed settling over time...but at this point we’re delving into minutia.

This comment is very interesting. Why don’t you think it’s comfortable? Not that it’s entirely comparable, but I own plenty of C&Js on their City Sole, a rubber sole made by Dainite that mirrors EGs R1 sole. It’s SUPER comfy. Is the R1 too thin, like, to the point where you can feet the ground?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EG loafers are perhaps the worst fitting loafers on the planet. LOW insteps, lots of heel slippage.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This comment is very interesting. Why don’t you think it’s comfortable? Not that it’s entirely comparable, but I own plenty of C&Js on their City Sole, a rubber sole made by Dainite that mirrors EGs R1 sole. It’s SUPER comfy. Is the R1 too thin, like, to the point where you can feet the ground?

That’s a fair question and to start my response I would preface that individual context plays a major role. For my experiences, outside of the office I’m a distance runner and spend a considerable about of time on feet. My feet are continually adapting to that stress stimuli and may be a bit ‘sensitive’ vs norm. I find that the cork footbed and leather sole to mold to my foot shape, offering more support, compared to the R1. I associate the perceived difference, based on my experiences, with the material in this case rubber vs. leather. Again, IMO, the differences are very marginal and would not deter my purchase on the basis of comfort alone.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a higher instep and had to get rid of two pairs due to it. They were both lined versions, so ymmv depending on how tight and whether they are lined or not.

Did you take your normal EG size?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a fair question and to start my response I would preface that individual context plays a major role. For my experiences, outside of the office I’m a distance runner and spend a considerable about of time on feet. My feet are continually adapting to that stress stimuli and may be a bit ‘sensitive’ vs norm. I find that the cork footbed and leather sole to mold to my foot shape, offering more support, compared to the R1. I associate the perceived difference, based on my experiences, with the material in this case rubber vs. leather. Again, IMO, the differences are very marginal and would not deter my purchase on the basis of comfort alone.

Thank you. Totally understand your perspective.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting perspective, one I hadn’t considered anyway. This may be a factor in my preference for leather, as I overwhelmingly choose leather when available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads