• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fanthom

Reaction score
For the grains, I typically use Venetian Cream and a wax (Saphir) .

I use the Renovateur for the smooth leathers, then creams (Saphir, Burgols), and waxes (Saphir).

Bick 4 for the boots as I find it hydrates remarkably well. Above mentioned creams and waxes. I use Obenauf for the welts and soles.

Thanks! Although I am confused: which of these categories does utah fall?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Although I am confused: which of these categories does utah fall?

Grain. Although, it has a high content of fat embedded into it so a nice brushing is all that's required for that one.
When it dries up a bit throw on the Venetian cream.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if the Cavour styleforum discount code still works? If so, what was it, again? Thank you!

tonicab

Reaction score
202 mink suede:

OTjjDS3.jpg

64 rosewood country calf:

vkBVV9H.jpg

202 vs 64:

82jxaHr.jpg

202 (9UK) vs 234 (8,5UK Carlos Santos):

CC6C792.jpg

tonicab

Reaction score
Nice! The 64 appears wider at the ball of the foot and roomier in the toe. Would that be accurate?

It is correct.
Last 64 is a country last, sport and no formal last. To Wear with jeans or chinos. No appropiate with formal clothing like suit.
202 is very close to 234 last from Carlos Santos. 82 is closer yet.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. I am perplexed by how different the 202 and 82 lasts are from what I THOUGHT they were going to be. I have wider feet and almost always cramped into shoes that are my size but on the narrower side. I thought the 82 last was going to render similar results. Oddly enough, it fits like a glove. The 202 is a roomier last, and you can feel that all around. Even the heel is roomier. The 82 last, however, is not narrow. It’s just tapered, far more contoured and sculpted. It feels like it was meant to glove your feet. The 202 last does not fit that way. Oddly enough, I like the 82 much more.

In your experience, how does 82 last compare to Carmina Forest in terms of length and toe volume? I know this is far from an apples to apples comparison and suede (82) vs shell (Forest) makes the comparison even less meaningful, but I'm curious. I own two boots on the 202 last and they appear to fit differently. My Alderleys in Utah feel more roomy than my delapare/suede Galways. The fit on the Galway is fantastic, but 82 last really appeals to me aesthetically.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your experience, how does 82 last compare to Carmina Forest in terms of length and toe volume? I know this is far from an apples to apples comparison and suede (82) vs shell (Forest) makes the comparison even less meaningful, but I'm curious. I own two boots on the 202 last and they appear to fit differently. My Alderleys in Utah feel more roomy than my delapare/suede Galways. The fit on the Galway is fantastic, but 82 last really appeals to me aesthetically.

Ufff... difficult to answer this. Here's what I'll say: if the Forest fits you, the 82 will fit you. The 82 toe is longer and much more asymmetrical than the Forest toe, which is proportional and much more rounded.

tonicab

Reaction score
I am 9UK in both. Forest and 82, but 82 is a bit longer. For boot 82 fits perfect. For shoes a bit long.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ufff... difficult to answer this. Here's what I'll say: if the Forest fits you, the 82 will fit you. The 82 toe is longer and much more asymmetrical than the Forest toe, which is proportional and much more rounded.
Thanks. Galway on 82 last is on my target list for this year

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 9UK in both. Forest and 82, but 82 is a bit longer. For boot 82 fits perfect. For shoes a bit long.
Thanks. In terms of US sizing 82 in 9UK = 9.5 US, while Forest in 9 UK= 10 US. I guess you find 82 last long enough to accommodate your feet in half a size smaller US equivalent size versus Forest? My feet are average or slightly below average in terms of instep and volume, so I've wondered whether 8UK/8.5 US would work better than my standard 8.5UK/9US size in EG. I wear 8UK in Carmina and C&J (all lasts, but find I can comfortably wear my Lindrick on 325 last with heavy boot socks).

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Galway on 82 last is on my target list for this year
You really won't be disappointed. I own shoes on 202 and 888 and owned boots on 202. My Galways on 82 are my favorite. I sized TTS on all lasts fwiw. Also don't own forest last, but own rain 9UK and EG in 9.5EUK

tonicab

Reaction score
Thanks. In terms of US sizing 82 in 9UK = 9.5 US, while Forest in 9 UK= 10 US. I guess you find 82 last long enough to accommodate your feet in half a size smaller US equivalent size versus Forest? My feet are average or slightly below average in terms of instep and volume, so I've wondered whether 8UK/8.5 US would work better than my standard 8.5UK/9US size in EG. I wear 8UK in Carmina and C&J (all lasts, but find I can comfortably wear my Lindrick on 325 last with heavy boot socks).

I have 9UK in all EG shoes (maybe 184 could be a bit tight).
I have 43 (9UK) in forest and uetam. 8,5 UK (42.5) in detroit.
325 is a impossible last to me. I bought a cavendish shoes in 8,5UK and it was small. 9UK very big. I bought a coniston one month ago in size 9UK and I returned them because they were wide for me in D width.
If you have any doubt in EG, buy always your size. 184 last could be small in your size, but other last are TTS generally.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads