• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second pair of EGs. Another pair of suede Galways, but this time in mink suede and on the 202 last. I must confess, while I like the rounded toe shape of the 202 last, the 82 last is a more contoured, tailored fit. I think I’ll stick to the 82 last from now on, despite its longer, pointier toe.

P.S.: 2-day shipping from London to the USA. Holy **** that’s impressive.
942C8014-8045-4477-A82A-7243042020E4.jpeg
33A076FA-EA84-4036-87E1-C596B2DA8E60.jpeg
F6FBFF7E-D7ED-48D0-8B7A-F6CA8BF6BA95.jpeg
F093D0F3-E41C-432F-9AD1-6F861171D894.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few of my EGs need resoling. Do you all send your shoes back to England for a factory resole or have them resoled locally? Part of me wants the channeled sole, the other part doesn’t want to spend the time or money. Plus, EG did not do a good resoling job for my last pair.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of my EGs need resoling. Do you all send your shoes back to England for a factory resole or have them resoled locally? Part of me wants the channeled sole, the other part doesn’t want to spend the time or money. Plus, EG did not do a good resoling job for my last pair.

you could try B Nelson in NYC.

Personally, I’d bite the bullet and send it to the U.K. I Know it will cost more, but at least you’ll have it done by the manufacturer.

Iadbound

Reaction score

I'm having a pair of G&G resoled at Bedo's now and I'll advise on the quality of the work once I get them back. Price is probably similar to EG. Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with EG's repair work?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with EG's repair work?
Sole is peeling at the toe. This shouldn’t happen with any resole, much less a factory one.
0BD20B68-A66F-4B20-9C02-7D1A7325BE6B.jpeg

michaelvl

Reaction score
Sole is peeling at the toe. This shouldn’t happen with any resole, much less a factory one.
View attachment 1338967

Who installed the flush toe plates, E.G. or a third party? If the threads located directly under where the toe plate now sits, were completely sliced through as part of a botched sole plate installation, then it is no wonder that the sole has started to fall apart. Imho, the party that carried out the the plate installation, is the one to blame.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EG installed the sunken toe taps.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a pair of G&G resoled at Bedo's now and I'll advise on the quality of the work once I get them back. Price is probably similar to EG. Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with EG's repair work?
I’m curious why bedos & not send back to England. I resoled a pair of greens stateside; and while they’re okay, I lost all of the finishing details of Edward green. He close channeled the soles but the shape is lousy. How much is bedos charging you, if you don’t mind me asking.

Iadbound

Reaction score
I’m curious why bedos & not send back to England. I resoled a pair of greens stateside; and while they’re okay, I lost all of the finishing details of Edward green. He close channeled the soles but the shape is lousy. How much is bedos charging you, if you don’t mind me asking.

The G&G's were bought on Ebay and I figured I would have the work done locally as Bedo's is only about 20 minutes from me and shipping to from G&G is usually 50 pounds. Plus, he had just done another G&G job that looked very nice. Price is around $400, including JR soles, JR combination heels, staining the sole black, stretching the shoes the bit, and stripping the uppers for me -- I'm going to try my hand at doing my own patina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads