• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, again. It’s me - the EG newb. I am looking to get my third pair of EGs. Specifically, I’m looking to get a pair of Doak Dovers. However, I’m torn. I love the 82 and 202 lasts. They fit perfectly. I’m on the fence about the 606 last, not because it won’t fit, but because it has a square toe. I have an aversion to square toes, much more of a classic round toe guy. Am I crazy here? Pics to prove me wrong? Should I just give up on life and wear TOMS every day?

* HELP *
I have never tried 82 but love both 606 and 202 for dover. As others have said, 606 isn’t really square toe, in my eyes it’s just not ‘round’. Here is a pic of my Nevis boot on 606 in dark oak

And Utah dover on 202

I’d say, 606 for dressy calf leather and 202 for casual leathers

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never tried 82 but love both 606 and 202 for dover. As others have said, 606 isn’t really square toe, in my eyes it’s just not ‘round’. Here is a pic of my Nevis boot on 606 in dark oak

And Utah dover on 202

I’d say, 606 for dressy calf leather and 202 for casual leathers

I would have said the reverse (606 casual, 202 dressy) but is there really a wrong answer here? Hell you can even put the Dover on the 82, and still be fine.
We are just talking preferences really.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I like Mink Suede (606)

I thought @lazym was referring to the Mink suede as the "espresso" suede. I definitely prefer the Mink (I am biased since I own it haha). The espresso is almost too dark. The old Chocolate suede was a thing of beauty.

The casual leather, read non-smooth leather, works beautifully on the 606.

Last edited:

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
32979CDA-334F-4842-97FD-F660637D7469.jpeg

Cardiff MTO Redwood Antique 202 Last.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who own both C&J handgrade and EG, which last of EG would you say is more similar to the 363 of C&J? I've tried in shop the 202 and the 82 in different widths but I couldn't figure out which one would fit me better. I have a very narrow ankle, low instep, narrow feet but quite long overall.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who own both C&J handgrade and EG, which last of EG would you say is more similar to the 363 of C&J? I've tried in shop the 202 and the 82 in different widths but I couldn't figure out which one would fit me better. I have a very narrow ankle, low instep, narrow feet but quite long overall.
@aristoi bcn

Aristo, you have exactly the same feet as I do. Mine are narrow, long (US 12), shallow instep, narrow heels, and flat.

I suffered for many years and tried pretty much everything out there in EG and other brands. For EG, I had to go down to C width for oxfords. For boots I went to D width. Most on 202 because of the wider forefoot.

Vass Budapester last worked very well for me, and to some degree G&G standard width (but still too much room in instep).

I finally had to break down and go custom with St. Crispins and let me tell you, I’m not going back. St. C is made with very solid arch support which helps flat feet but then I went the distance and got A custom last.

If you’re keen on EG, you have to go 202 on a narrow last (C or D). That’s the sum total of my (very costly) experience.

Alan Bee

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Edward Greens for Abercrombie & Fitch on the Great 88 last in a nice snuff suede that’s still looking lovely after about 35-40 years. UK 9E turned out to be just a touch small so I’m getting ready to re-sell but just thought I’d post for posterity’s sake.

841D6B62-534A-419B-987C-5C28939FA61E.jpeg A7D4816F-E308-406E-B922-F16A30BDEB97.jpeg DDE1379D-C1E6-40EC-A538-F0F1A99E4D8F.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it’s always interesting to come across vintage A & F items - typically they’re of a high quality. Odd how they ended up where they are now. A heritage brand that could care less about their heritage.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@aristoi bcn

Aristo, you have exactly the same feet as I do. Mine are narrow, long (US 12), shallow instep, narrow heels, and flat.

I suffered for many years and tried pretty much everything out there in EG and other brands. For EG, I had to go down to C width for oxfords. For boots I went to D width. Most on 202 because of the wider forefoot.

Vass Budapester last worked very well for me, and to some degree G&G standard width (but still too much room in instep).

I finally had to break down and go custom with St. Crispins and let me tell you, I’m not going back. St. C is made with very solid arch support which helps flat feet but then I went the distance and got A custom last.

If you’re keen on EG, you have to go 202 on a narrow last (C or D). That’s the sum total of my (very costly) experience.

Alan Bee

That's really helpful, thanks Alan.

I've just arrived from a shop after trying (again) the 82 E-width (Galway) and the 915 E-width both in size 6.5 and the fit was quite good. I was wearing thick socks that's maybe why. Lengthwise I'm still worried a bit but it didn't feel as uncomfortable as sizing half a size with Lobb, for example.

I'm also in a process of having a bespoke pair but I already know it will take a little back and forth and this will be extended a couple of years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics