Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Went back and looked at the Falkirks again today. The wife likes them and the brogue on the side of the shoe looks kind of cool. I do wonder how hard it would be to maintain such a light colored shoe though.

2. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

The Falkirk is an excellent style that does not seem to get as much love as it deserves on this thread. Everything here is Galway related 70% of the time. Seriously though, I like the Falkirk and feel about it as you do about the Inverness; it was one of the first designs that seemed unique when I first saw Edward Green shoes a long time ago. Anyhow, I do not yet have Falkirks, but I will probably acquire them at some point.

I understand the appeal of lighter colored brogues: you can easily see all of the intricate brogueing detail. But I'd personally prefer the Falkirks in a darker brown color. Although you'll probably not find a better deal/purveyor than Skoak. As for caring for light colored shoes, it's really not difficult. Although dark scuff and spills/stains will be more visible, but to my mind patina is a good thing after all. Every time I see brand new fancy Top drawer or exotic Green or bespoke shoes here or on Instagram, I wonder how much use those bright new things will actually see. Cheers!

Btw- take a look at my signature for a potential steal. Too many shoes...

3. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

^^
    Falkirk has always been one of my EG favourites. As mentioned by the previous speaker, it feels like a very unique EG design. I noticed this article about the style a while back, it's a nice read. There are more articles if you Google Falkirk. http://uptowndandy.blogspot.se/2011/04/fine-english-brogue-edward-greens.html?m=1

As for light coloured shoes, I own a lot of them. They are not hard to maintain IMO. A bit of Bick4, a bit of neutral polish for shine and dark brown (even black, yes you heard me, if applied VERY carefully) for the burnish, that's it. Because the Falkirk is such a casual style I do feel it performs well in a lighter colour. I love how it accentuate the brogueing. This type of colour performs particularly well with denim IMO, and things like brown corduroy, green moleskin, etc.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for the link it's a nice little article which makes me want them even more. Thanks for the maintenance tips as well. I might have even bought the shoes, but for now I'm safe as you didn't have them in my size.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. wurger

wurger Senior member

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Jealous! You know t o send them my way should you change your mind! Lucky! I didn't know they were on order else I would have jumped on my size too!

7. laufer

laufer Senior member

Where was this Falkirk love a few months ago when I was trying to organize GMTO? I ordered mine too but in hazel zntique and 202 last. I have many tan shoes and I wanted something unique for a unique shoe. You do not see hazel calf very often out there.

wurger I am looking forward to seeing a pictures of your Falkirk as you seem to have adequate space to take pictures in the natural light. I live in apartment so natural light is hard to come by.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Congratulations!!!

Which color did you decide to go with?

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Timing and other priorities (shoes), at least for me.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Timing is key for GMTOs, and apart from some seasonally dependent choices, largely unpredictable. The same shoe can fall flat now, yet take off like a rocket 6 months later.

11. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leaves

^^
    Falkirk has always been one of my EG favourites. As mentioned by the previous speaker, it feels like a very unique EG design. I noticed this article about the style a while back, it's a nice read. There are more articles if you Google Falkirk. http://uptowndandy.blogspot.se/2011/04/fine-english-brogue-edward-greens.html?m=1

As for light coloured shoes, I own a lot of them. They are not hard to maintain IMO. A bit of Bick4, a bit of neutral polish for shine and dark brown (even black, yes you heard me, if applied VERY carefully) for the burnish, that's it. Because the Falkirk is such a casual style I do feel it performs well in a lighter colour. I love how it accentuate the brogueing. This type of colour performs particularly well with denim IMO, and things like brown corduroy, green moleskin, etc.

Thanks for the link it's a nice little article which makes me want them even more. Thanks for the maintenance tips as well. I might have even bought the shoes, but for now I'm safe as you didn't have them in my size.

Thanks for the kind words leaves and drdrees - I could probably write for hours about my Falkirks. I think the chestnut antique works well with the broguing, and the 82 last is also quite complimentary. After wearing them quite often, my main concern was the creasing at the toe, which coincides with the broguing design along the side of the shoe. I was wondering if that would exacerbate the normal creasing that you get along that point of the shoes, but it seems to be mitigated by the occassional application of saphyr renovateur. I can't even recall the number of compliments I've received about these shoes - take the plunge, I don't think you'll regret it. Here's a reader pic from my blog of the Braemar (basically an older version of the Falkirk with a floral motif under the laces) in something called stag suede:

[​IMG]

Now if we could just convince EG to re-make the punching tools for the Windsor, that is a group buy I could get into. I have been told by multiple parties that the tools were lost during the move from C&J's factory to the current premises, but that seems like strange reason to discontinue a shoe model, doesn't it? How can they be lost forever - how much can it cost to remake the tools?

[​IMG]

12. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Yes, this is a little funny. I remember raising the idea of a Falkirk MTO, and there was tepid interest. Oh well.

I think Hazel still falls in the tan family. I have a couple shoes in Hazel. Like dark oak, there is a lot of variability in hazel's color; it can come out indistinguishable from Edwardian or burnt pine. I spent the better part of a year re-patinating/finishing a pair of RL Aksels, transforming them from a light tan version of Hazel to a museum calf finished medium brown that is between burnt pine and dark oak. They look much more subdued and versatile now.

Edwardian and chestnut seem like the common default choices for the Falkirk, whether is appears at Leathersoul, Leffot, or Skoak. If I were mulling an MTO, I would likely lean toward burnt pine or dark oak, or even something in country calf. Bengal stripe posted a nice pair in Heather Gorse some time ago, which looked appealing also. Cheers.

Edit P.S. - Part of the reason I would do an MTO is to match the extra thistle punching of the Braemar. I have seen a couple new modified versions of the Windsor, but I cannot remember whether it featured something different in the brogue pattern other than the golf motif.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I just can't take the Falkirk seriously. Total overkill on the broguing imo

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

hey! we agree again

15. laufer

laufer Senior member

I respect that and that's why there is Malvern which I may acquire in chestnut eventually.