• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That explains why the Sasseti RLPL shoes were so heavily discounted during the last sale.
After getting my Marlows and Lindricks I haven't paid much attention to RL shoes.

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
I'm kind of iffy on the Shearling. It looks nice when new and everything, but the fact that it's only on the shaft and I don't get the impression it ages or wears well has me a bit hesitant.

Does it matter how it ages, given that it's on the inside of the boot leg? It will still keep your feet warm.

For what it's worth, having a lined boot leg is pretty much all anyone would need for a typical British winter assuming that you drive and aren't prone to spending hours standing still in snowy fields. I also have the Cheaney Irvine boot which is fully lined and they are like wearing radiators on your footsies!

The shearling Galway is fine for the typical wintery things that an English bloke might do, such as strolling down the pub on Christmas Eve, going to the footy on Boxing Day, and having to yomp home after a heavy snowfall because the local council ran out of grit for the roads and all cars are at a standstill as a result...

If you live somewhere proper cold then head over to Cheaney's website and see what shearling models they have on offer. Their heavier boot options are showing Tricker's how classic models should evolve, and they did three (non-shearling) veldt boot models at the last count (although I think only the Pennine is a 360 degree stitch-down boot and the Mallory and Fiennes are 270 degree).

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then you're missing out on the EG and GG offerings!

Here's a link to @NAMOR comparison of the Sasseti and RLPL Sasseti models.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii/13095#post_5610211

That might be true, and correct me if i'm wrong but I don't remember EG and G&G shoes going on sale on the RL site. besides their selection is pretty limited with those two brands. Skoaktiebolaget has been fairly EG price friendly so I've made most of my EG purchases there recently.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it matter how it ages, given that it's on the inside of the boot leg? It will still keep your feet warm.

For what it's worth, having a lined boot leg is pretty much all anyone would need for a typical British winter assuming that you drive and aren't prone to spending hours standing still in snowy fields. I also have the Cheaney Irvine boot which is fully lined and they are like wearing radiators on your footsies!

The shearling Galway is fine for the typical wintery things that an English bloke might do, such as strolling down the pub on Christmas Eve, going to the footy on Boxing Day, and having to yomp home after a heavy snowfall because the local council ran out of grit for the roads and all cars are at a standstill as a result...

If you live somewhere proper cold then head over to Cheaney's website and see what shearling models they have on offer. Their heavier boot options are showing Tricker's how classic models should evolve, and they did three (non-shearling) veldt boot models at the last count (although I think only the Pennine is a 360 degree stitch-down boot and the Mallory and Fiennes are 270 degree).

Great points, thanks for the insight.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That might be true, and correct me if i'm wrong but I don't remember EG and G&G shoes going on sale on the RL site. besides their selection is pretty limited with those two brands. Skoaktiebolaget has been fairly EG price friendly so I've made most of my EG purchases there recently.

They get discounted at sale time. EGs go down to about $800 or slightly less. GGs in the $600 range.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/SPOILER] nephew, looking good in your ct
Thanks uncle
They get discounted at sale time. EGs go down to about $800 or slightly less. GGs in the $600 range.
Sadly I am size-less by the time this happens. After a conservative Monday (black Chelsea), midnight/twiligh Shannons today:
15216324990_489f582ac7.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah yes now I remember. I actually purchased the EG Hutton from RL. It happened to go on sale and I got them then.

However since then I found out about Skoak and I've been purchasing more standard fare or joining with others here on a couple of GMTOs.

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you ever wear those Huttons? I find them attractive, appealing even, but I have always avoided them because I doubt I would have occasion to wear them much. Do others have thoughts?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you ever wear those Huttons? I find them attractive, appealing even, but I have always avoided them because I doubt I would have occasion to wear them much. Do others have thoughts?

I haven't worn them yet, but I plan to when the opportunity presents itself. This shoe probably won't be worn that often, but that's fine with me. When worn they will certainly bring enjoyment to me.

MrChris

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am in need of some size advices, as I'm contemplating adding the Dover E606 in country calf to my collection, but I have never tried on the 606 last.
For reference I wear the Chelsea 202 D8,5/9 and Beaulieu 82 E9...based on this which size would be most suitable on the E606 Dover?
Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads