Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Do you have Dark Oak sneakers too" LOL

In all seriousness, I would think at some point you would find the occasion to wear a pair of black oxfords.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Shell ones!

I dont disagree. There just always seems to be a shiny new nickel I would rather spend against

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

I reckon one pair of black captoe, a brown pair of quarter brogue like Asquith.

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

I am lucky to wear lace up boots more than 5 times a year in Sydney. But cap toes and brogues every cover my whole week.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I certainly considered the Asquith this time, but I chose to go with the more conservative shoe in my opinion.

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I understand, I think I've been doing this myself. However I finally decided it was more important to have better quality on all fronts first. I can always go back to getting shiny nickels later.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I personally like EG's leather since it feels "tougher" and JL's leather is just too buttery soft for me. Also, the former holds better in inclimate weather whereas the latter developed "spots" after rain drops. Interestingly, my older JL shoes are made with leather similar to EG (models before they used the "JL" heels.

The big point for me is EG's heel cup holds my foot better than JL. When I compare both shoes, the cup is made much highers, which for me, provides a better fit than JL.

I look at it as saving $500 for every pair of EG I have that's not JL. :slayer:

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Besides saving means even more shoes.[​IMG]

9. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I also got the Asquith (888 Doak) - a splendid brown business shoe, and one of the finest oxfords of which I am aware. One of my 5 favorite EGs

10. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

It is past my cut off date for the Rosewood. Ordering the Nevis on the Skoak website. Another pair Mahogany CC in my life.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

This was anticipated, and as such not a surprise. Thanks for being patient and giving it a shot. I'm sorry we couldn't pull it off. But I'm certain you will enjoy the Mahogany version as well.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I like and buy both brands, including main line and prestige line from JL. JL's leather is no doubt buttery soft - but that is, for me, a good thing.

13. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

I have a similar view. My C&J black cap-toes (Hallams, in my case) are a great fit, wear well and look quality on the foot. The gain from upgrading to EG is minimal for such a simple design and a colour without depth. I would rather spend on EG and other top makers like GG for shoes where there is a clear visual improvement between them and makers like C&J and Carmina.

14. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I own both the Chelsea and C&J Hallam, and do not place them in the same league. Not to mention the last shapes are night and day, even if the Chelsea were on the 82 rather than 202.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A few years back I upgraded my black captoe oxford from C&J Connaught to EG Chelsea. The difference, IMO, is significant.