• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aha, you would need to grow two full sizes to be in with a chance! Have to catch up over coffee soon, been talking about meeting in Northampton for too long...

True enough, let's pick a Friday. I'll meet you there and drive us back for a coffee/snifter :slayer:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aha, you would need to grow two full sizes to be in with a chance! Have to catch up over coffee soon, been talking about meeting in Northampton for too long...

The Kelso's more heavy-duty than the Galway, as the pattern AS used means that they can be lined with leather, too. The zug used by them when they used to make them is more burgundy than brown. Nice boots, some need to size down a half size into them as the last is pretty roomy. Where did you get them from? The only place I know that stocks them is out of my size...

I got them from Tredders, they have size 11 left. They also fave AS Selkirk which is the same boot but with leather soles.
I noticed these are on FX fitting which generous fitting. I palm to wear them with the thick socks.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear horror stories with the Galway and the suede shaft anyone have similar issues that the suede is coming off after lot of wear?

Any leather will wear through if subjected to conditions conducive to aforesaid wear. I've not heard of normal use resulting in wear through of a suede shaft. Got pics?

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They've been very responsive to SF, with MTO's and such. Patrik appears to go out of his way in regards to looking for things the SF membership wants. The Zug boot, was and is something I really appreciated. Patrik also came through with the willow calf leather that a number of members were looking for. Yes he makes his money this way, but then again he's coming through with what some of us are looking for.

I have nothing but exemplary service, and their prices are extremely EG friendly. I've yet to pay extra delivery and customs fees, and I am willing to wait a couple of days for this convenience.

Well said, ddd. I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Durn tootin'

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been e-mailing with Skoak the last couple of days trying to get a price quote for a Galway MTO.

Is it really not possible to order a shearling-lined Galway? According to the Skoak person I'm volleying e-mails with, Galways can be ordered on the 202 and 82 lasts whereas shearling-lined boots are solely made on the 64 last.

Does that sound right to you all?

Yes

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I've found a way of getting photos up but there must be an easier way. The boots are on a 202 last with dainite sole. It's hard to capture the colour with a overcast grey London sky. quote]

You need to upload your photos to PhotoBucket or another hosting service and copy the 'img' code and paste.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can change it, but be aware that veldt boots only have a limited number of resoles due to the fact that the uppers are flanged out and stitched down to the midsole - the leather will only take so many resoles before it becomes difficult to effectively stitch down the uppers. EG themselves will only resole a veldt boot once and then will turn it into a standard welted boot for subsequent resoles.

You can definitely get more than one resole from a veldt boot though, I had to have a pair re-resoled after Koko's of London butchered both the resole of my vintage EG veldts and failed to sort the problem the second time. The Shoehealer handled the re-resole and did a good job, too. But the stitched down part will start to look a little more tatty with each resole.

For a WW2 pair of Lotus veldt boots I own, I had them resoled with a double leather sole but with a cover sole added so only that and the heels will ever need replacing as the boots themselves are irreplaceable..

They probably wouldn't do that unless you had it as a normal welted model on the 64, which they may or may not do. For the stitch-down construction, you need a sturdy leather to effectively flange it out and keep it out. My rough-out Snowdons caused C&J all sorts of problems, and the leather they use for rough-out s relatively sturdy...
Wow, I didn't know any of this. But it sounds like I have at least one resole that I can expect from EG and still maintain the veldt welt. Given my current rotation and the Ridgeway sole I should hopefully have no issues. but this certainly is nice to know. Thanks for sharing, your certainly have a wealth of knowledge about these boots.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I've found a way of getting photos up but there must be an easier way. The boots are on a 202 last with dainite sole. It's hard to capture the colour with a overcast grey London sky.

Congrats!!!

Wow, that certainly is different from any other Galway I have seen to this point.

Last edited:

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL Carter -basically a modified Ecton on the 808 with HAF sole. Picked them up from Ed Morel - a great seller, which probably goes without saying at this point - and just got around to lathering in saphyr reno and neutral polish:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL Carter -basically a modified Ecton on the 808 with HAF sole. Picked them up from Ed Morel - a great seller, which probably goes without saying at this point - and just got around to lathering in saphyr reno and neutral polish:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/
Very nice, Congrats.

If you have the Dover how would you compare the two in look, fit, wear, and preference if any?

Last edited:

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ you know, I actually don't own the Dover. I have the Carter and the Halifax which are both Dover/ecton hybrids for rlpl. Personally, I like the three eyelets on those models because there's more room for the arch. The 89 last for the split toe Halifax is a bit more chiseled than the 202, but still pretty roomy. I probably could have gone down a half size on the 89 for the snug fit that I like. The Halifax is also a double sole but without the HAF sole, which feels much stiffer when you wear it, and much more substantive, IMO.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ you know, I actually don't own the Dover. I have the Carter and the Halifax which are both Dover/ecton hybrids for rlpl. Personally, I like the three eyelets on those models because there's more room for the arch. The 89 last for the split toe Halifax is a bit more chiseled than the 202, but still pretty roomy. I probably could have gone down a half size on the 89 for the snug fit that I like. The Halifax is also a double sole but without the HAF sole, which feels much stiffer when you wear it, and much more substantive, IMO.
Cool, maybe not what I was looking for initially but still great insight into how these wear for you. Thank you and congratulations again on your latest acquisition.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads