Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cezinho

cezinho Senior member

Ops did not know, I will edit

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I was checking out the prices of the Chelsea in Doak at a couple of websites.theor are some places like Leffot which have more than one in Dpak listed and the price iOS different. They only list the Last on one of them so it was impossible to tell of this was the reason or not. Leffot was not the only site like this but I can't remember the others off hand. I just thought this was a bit strange.

3. Naesuk

Naesuk Well-Known Member

Well I've found a way of getting photos up but there must be an easier way. The boots are on a 202 last with dainite sole. It's hard to capture the colour with a overcast grey London sky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cezinho

cezinho Senior member

These are nice sir

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was down at Khaki's of Carmel on Saturday.They have a nice collection of EG.

[​IMG]

6. luc13

luc13 Senior member

The Galway look like a Desert Boot!
    Very nice Sir!

7. luc13

luc13 Senior member

Gents i will Order a nother Galway but i am not sure about the Last.

It is 202 vs 82

I would like to take the DO with walnut CC.

I still have the Velt on the 64 in rosewood. Is this possible to change the sole? I would like to have this One with the ridgeway for the hard days.

8. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

You can change it, but be aware that veldt boots only have a limited number of resoles due to the fact that the uppers are flanged out and stitched down to the midsole - the leather will only take so many resoles before it becomes difficult to effectively stitch down the uppers. EG themselves will only resole a veldt boot once and then will turn it into a standard welted boot for subsequent resoles.

You can definitely get more than one resole from a veldt boot though, I had to have a pair re-resoled after Koko's of London butchered both the resole of my vintage EG veldts and failed to sort the problem the second time. The Shoehealer handled the re-resole and did a good job, too. But the stitched down part will start to look a little more tatty with each resole.

For a WW2 pair of Lotus veldt boots I own, I had them resoled with a double leather sole but with a cover sole added so only that and the heels will ever need replacing as the boots themselves are irreplaceable..

They probably wouldn't do that unless you had it as a normal welted model on the 64, which they may or may not do. For the stitch-down construction, you need a sturdy leather to effectively flange it out and keep it out. My rough-out Snowdons caused C&J all sorts of problems, and the leather they use for rough-out s relatively sturdy...

9. S K M

S K M Senior member

On a side note I can tell that EG were hesitant to do my Galways in heather gorse/suede as a veldt, because the protective covers they normally use to shield the shoes and boots can't be used for the veldt construction. As such, the boots are potentially exposed to oil and hot wax dripping from the old machines, and with less sturdy leather like suede and calf this could ruin the boots. However, I managed to persuade EG to go ahead with the make up since the suede was only on the shaft of the boot, and I let them understand that I was completely OK with the suede potentially having a stain here and there. But I think it's a very good explanation nevertheless…

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

really nice. would like to see more suede boots in this thread

@Farhad19620 these remind me of your C&J holland & Holland boots

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

11. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I'd have called them out on that - they do two stock veldt models with suede legs, don't they.

12. S K M

S K M Senior member

All true, and I was about to wave the flag if they hadn't agreed to do it. However, there must be a reason for their reaction (they took contact months after the order had been placed), so who knows, maybe they have sold too many of those boots as seconds due to oil stuns on the upper…?

13. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I doubt they would continue to sell a model that resulted in so many rejects, if that was the case...

I only found out about the problems C&J had with making my MTOs through another forum member who had enquired after a similar model (although I'd heard that it hadn't been straight forward). The upside is though that C&J will never make another rough-out veldt boot, meaning my rough-out Snowdons are and will be the only pair in existence...

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Buddy, what size are you again? :smarmy:

Pretty sure you're not UK7.5 so no cheeky offer from here!

Hope you're well mate

15. laufer

laufer Senior member

Thanks for the explanation, I just ordered a pair of AS Kelso in zug leather on on veld construction, hopefully they will fit. I think 2 pair if zug boots should be enough.