Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

guilty as charged. I have been working hard to round out my shoe collection as of late though. Vass captoe, Viberg derby, EG Dover and EG Ullswater should help [​IMG]

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

See that's what I'm talking about. I just want to make sure I have the other areas covered as well. Quality footwear regardless for a number of various areas.

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think @Leaves checked on this for us, and I think your right. However the black upper and mink or coffee suede sounds nice.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

This has been a huge focus for me. Early on I just bought everything I really liked even though it may have overlapped too much with something I already had. This lead to things being worn less frequently as they may have been a 3rd choice in a particular style, which meant I wore them mostly out of obligation of them sitting in the closet. Lately I have been trying to take a more holistic approach and looking at areas that are well covered and selling off what isn't truly needed and replacing them with gaps in my collection.

The recent brandy willow Ullswater is a perfect example. I had an Alden Whiskey PTB and LWB. I preferred the shade and fit of the PTB and sold off the LWB. That then created a gap of a lighter colored shoe in my collection. So more or less I traded the Alden LWB for the brandy willow Ullswater and feel this rounds things out in a better way. Sorry if that is too much into my thinking but I figured if anyone would understand it, it would be here...

5. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Exactly right. How can the retailer control shipping. Retailer might want to do something for customer relations sake, but retailer would plainly be taking the hit for someone else's responsibility.

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've been guilty of the same thing. With boots I did try to make them count and only get them if they were different somehow, but this also included just different colors of cordovan. Boots and casual shoes were more a focus although I had some decent dress shoes that area tended to get less attention. For now however I'm in the process of re-evaluation and focusing on some of the areas that may have been neglected or aren't quite where I would like them to be.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I know that shell and Galway combination is not accepted; I don't remember shell and Shannon though. I don't know if there is any structural difference that would make them not use crup.

I've owned a few pairs of shell balmoral boots and I found that the shell made them more casual than I would like (at least for my suit attire at work). I've since sold all my shell balmorals and only kept bluchers in shell.

I really want to start doing this in the next few years. There is really no reason for me to keep 30+ shoes, especially now that I'm not in NYC and I don't walk as much anymore so shoes don't get that much wear. I do admit that my Alden shells and NATCXL are more of a "collection" for me. I have (or have on order) LWB and a pair of boots in each color.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this sounds great. will you do shell on the shaft or the entire boot? G&G has done the canterbury in shell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and that sucks about shipping. i can understand your frustration but i would def give skoak the benefit of the doubt. good guys over there always take care of their customers.

that canterbury was actually supposed to be delivered to me in on thursday but has been stuck in customs ever since. cant really be too upset because bespoke-england shipped day of payment. had i known it this would have happened, would have waited a week and saved $24 on exchange rate :fu:

9. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

that black shell Canterbury bespoke had should be an absolutely fantastical boot

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

lol, yeah it is a nice boot! there is another one in the wild already. anyone here have the UK10.5 pair?

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I know @jerrybrowne purchased a pair of all Cordovan Alderlys. However if I remember correctly @Leaves checked on the Galway and Shannon and neither was possible because of something with the shaft. But they way IO remember it, it was more than just the one boot (Galway). But I could be wrong, anyway LS is checking with EG and they should be getting back with @MoosicPa and I am sure he will let us know. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

Just wanted to say I'd take Skoaktiebolaget due to service alone.

Recently had an lost package with one US store, they were responsive for the first week then disappeared and then said slightly different info then what UPS told me. Ended up taking a few weeks longer than expected and way too much effort on my part to get refund.

Other US retailer had a lot of turnover in staff so a bit harder to build relationship. Also one order error and now seems to have limited new stock

It also takes a week anyways for UPS / FedEx to deliver stuff in most cases so shipping time of Skoab is not much longer than my normal wait and no customs is a plus.

Do understand shipping delays especially when you paid express but even then you can get plenty of issues and customs that USPS normally wouldn't have ( or fedex guy didn't make 10:30 deadline so actually you weren't home for example )

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I forgot to mention that Patrik practically hangs out on SF. He even does so when on vacation. He's here for this portion of his customer base. This means a lot to me, as I'm sure it does to others. Questions get answered in a very timely basis. I know he makes his living this way, but this is a Big Plus if you ask me.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I recently had a construction issue with my MTO Hoves, and was a little surprised to find Skoak does not cover return shipping in this instance. Well, other than that the service has been good. Albeit, some email inquiries do get lost in the system at times. Maybe I shouldn't make so many of those... ;)

15. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

No just the upper would be in black calf/shell, and the shaft would be in suede.