Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

They are, in fact they're even better than I anticipated. It's amazing the number of people I have received compliments from as well. Either how bad a$$ they look, or how they like the texture on these boots.

Thanks Roger

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

2. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

I am a US based customer - so yes. IFRC - they completed the paperwork with something along the lines of "shoes for repair" , ( hence non - Duty).

3. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

I am not sure whether you are being serious (?). Yes they came back with new laces and I was not up charged for the toe taps.
    New box, polishing matt, new liner and a damn good cleaning job on the suede.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

That sounds wonderful ED. :slayer: very serious

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There's the key. I thought there would have to be an entry to avoid paying any possible custom fees.

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Great. Thanks for the info!

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

How many find once they have started buying shoes from Edward Green that something from Alden or even Crockett and Jones just doesn't cut it any longer? Or do you find that because you like shoes so much there are still some very appealing choices or things which they or others do so well that you still buy shoes from them as well.

8. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I skipped alden and CJ. Am I missing something?

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Not necessarily, everybody's likes, dislikes, and paths are different. I noticed however your selling a pair of Carminas though. So I would ask you do you find that you no longer purchase anything from Carmina once you started buying Edward Greens?

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I owned EG before anything else. I find each maker has it's own advantages. I love my Alden ptbs among other offerings from AE etc. I will soon acquire some vibergs and I would imagine JL and St.C. will follow. Enjoy each shoe/boot for what it is and don't worry about the interwebz pecking order.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Actually I didn't own anything from Edward Green until after purchasing a number of other shoes from other shoemakers first. However I found even after purchasing shoes from Crockett and Jones I no longer had a desire to purchase anything further from Alden. I do however still like to purchase things from Rancourt and Viberg. Although I don't think Edward Green is the be all end all, I do think my expectations have changed. So when I'm looking for a fashion work boot for example I'll go to the maker I believe is the best, and the same for other styles as well.

12. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I can't agree with that. I own JL, EG, Cleverley, St. Crispins, but still love Aldens. I find Alden to be a classic, workhorse shoe that wears like no other. They are my go to shoes and boots. The higher end makers shoes are finished to a higher standard, and are usually more sleek than Alden, but Alden has that certain Je ne sais quois of sturdy American build to it. And as for shell, IMHO, no one does shell better than Alden. I have EG and St. C. shell, and they seem cheap and flimsy to me compared to my Alden shell.

Well, that's my $ 0.02.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Do not have a pair of EG boots yet however have Alden, Vass, Allen Edmonds and Rancourt boots and for me it is as other have mentioned - if I like a style I like it regardless of maker. Will be adding a pair of Alfred Sargents soon too and hopefully make my way to EG soon.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I would agree with you that Aldens are workhorses but then again they appear as such and initially that is why I liked them more than the AE's I started with. But since moving to others like Crockett and Jones and Alfred Sargent which appeared to be built really well, they also looked a bit more refined. I also have shell from a number of others as well. See I missed out on the rare Alden offerings as this was before my time so I tried to get the colors from other shoemakers. Although Alden seems to finish there's generally better than most I did find I really like how St Crispins, Ryder Boot Co, Carmina, and Rancourt do on some of theirs. Crockett and Jones were rather dry, but I've been able to deal with those and I generally like the way their Lasts and designs look better than Aldens in my opinion.

Then again maybe I just have the ones from Alden that I want at this point and I'm ready for something else.

15. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Sir, as much as I love EG not all their shoes or boots are to my liking! I have some boots from C&J made for Holland & Holland which I think are far better then some of the EG's I have.
    Interesting and good to read about what one gentlemen had to say about Alden as I am just about to add a pair of Alden boots to my collection!