• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume this isn't true for U.S based customers?

I am a US based customer - so yes. IFRC - they completed the paperwork with something along the lines of "shoes for repair" , ( hence non - Duty).

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my biggest question is - with the complete refurb, did they include brand new laces?

I am not sure whether you are being serious (?). Yes they came back with new laces and I was not up charged for the toe taps.
New box, polishing matt, new liner and a damn good cleaning job on the suede.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a US based customer - so yes. IFRC - they completed the paperwork with something along the lines of "shoes for repair" , ( hence non - Duty).
There's the key. I thought there would have to be an entry to avoid paying any possible custom fees.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Great. Thanks for the info!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many find once they have started buying shoes from Edward Green that something from Alden or even Crockett and Jones just doesn't cut it any longer? Or do you find that because you like shoes so much there are still some very appealing choices or things which they or others do so well that you still buy shoes from them as well.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many find once they have started buying shoes from Edward Green that something from Alden or even Crockett and Jones just doesn't cut it any longer? Or do you find that because you like shoes so much there are still some very appealing choices or things which they or others do so well that you still buy shoes from them as well.

I skipped alden and CJ. Am I missing something?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I skipped alden and CJ. Am I missing something?

Not necessarily, everybody's likes, dislikes, and paths are different. I noticed however your selling a pair of Carminas though. So I would ask you do you find that you no longer purchase anything from Carmina once you started buying Edward Greens?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned EG before anything else. I find each maker has it's own advantages. I love my Alden ptbs among other offerings from AE etc. I will soon acquire some vibergs and I would imagine JL and St.C. will follow. Enjoy each shoe/boot for what it is and don't worry about the interwebz pecking order.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I didn't own anything from Edward Green until after purchasing a number of other shoes from other shoemakers first. However I found even after purchasing shoes from Crockett and Jones I no longer had a desire to purchase anything further from Alden. I do however still like to purchase things from Rancourt and Viberg. Although I don't think Edward Green is the be all end all, I do think my expectations have changed. So when I'm looking for a fashion work boot for example I'll go to the maker I believe is the best, and the same for other styles as well.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't agree with that. I own JL, EG, Cleverley, St. Crispins, but still love Aldens. I find Alden to be a classic, workhorse shoe that wears like no other. They are my go to shoes and boots. The higher end makers shoes are finished to a higher standard, and are usually more sleek than Alden, but Alden has that certain Je ne sais quois of sturdy American build to it. And as for shell, IMHO, no one does shell better than Alden. I have EG and St. C. shell, and they seem cheap and flimsy to me compared to my Alden shell.

Well, that's my $ 0.02.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not have a pair of EG boots yet however have Alden, Vass, Allen Edmonds and Rancourt boots and for me it is as other have mentioned - if I like a style I like it regardless of maker. Will be adding a pair of Alfred Sargents soon too and hopefully make my way to EG soon.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't agree with that. I own JL, EG, Cleverley, St. Crispins, but still love Aldens. I find Alden to be a classic, workhorse shoe that wears like no other. They are my go to shoes and boots. The higher end makers shoes are finished to a higher standard, and are usually more sleek than Alden, but Alden has that certain Je ne sais quois of sturdy American build to it. And as for shell, IMHO, no one does shell better than Alden. I have EG and St. C. shell, and they seem cheap and flimsy to me compared to my Alden shell.

Well, that's my $ 0.02.

I would agree with you that Aldens are workhorses but then again they appear as such and initially that is why I liked them more than the AE's I started with. But since moving to others like Crockett and Jones and Alfred Sargent which appeared to be built really well, they also looked a bit more refined. I also have shell from a number of others as well. See I missed out on the rare Alden offerings as this was before my time so I tried to get the colors from other shoemakers. Although Alden seems to finish there's generally better than most I did find I really like how St Crispins, Ryder Boot Co, Carmina, and Rancourt do on some of theirs. Crockett and Jones were rather dry, but I've been able to deal with those and I generally like the way their Lasts and designs look better than Aldens in my opinion.

Then again maybe I just have the ones from Alden that I want at this point and I'm ready for something else.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sir, as much as I love EG not all their shoes or boots are to my liking! I have some boots from C&J made for Holland & Holland which I think are far better then some of the EG's I have.
Interesting and good to read about what one gentlemen had to say about Alden as I am just about to add a pair of Alden boots to my collection!

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sir, as much as I love EG not all their shoes or boots are to my liking! I have some boots from C&J made for Holland & Holland which I think are far better then some of the EG's I have.
Interesting and good to read about what one gentlemen had to say about Alden as I am just about to add a pair of Alden boots to my collection!

Can I see the C&J for Holland and Holland boots?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads