1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There's no right way to do it, and I think life style and or needs certainly help determine the path you take. All I know is after a few Galway i'm real glad I've become more equal opportunity and now I've also included more shoes both buisness and a few for casual needs as well. EG boots and shoes tend to meet and exceed my expectations for both boots and shoes.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I know, I kid. I love my Beaulieus as they are one of the most comfortable shoes I own. It's weird because the chelseas and my tg73 sinatras don't fit nearly as well in the same size. Speaking of other shoes, I'm planning 2015's purchases and I think my next purchase might be a Malvern like you but in 202 Doak because I'm boring and I like the classics :D.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The Beaulieu isn't something that's appealed to me yet, this just isn't a style I've yet to consider. However if I keep looking for more business shoes I should, because it gets boring just getting the same styles. Hey, you can't go wrong with the Malvern in my opinion, whether it's in Doak or in some color of Calf and suede. It's one of those shoes that work equally well be it business or casual depending on the material or colors that you chose. This is another shoe I could see getting in more than just one version.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Don't forget the occasional Delapre PRN (as needed for) changing things up for the most smooth leather you can imagine.

7. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Can't wait to see them!

8. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Yes the 202 last is great for large feet so they don't look quite as big as in the other lasts. The size keeps the 202 looking sleek too! I love it!

9. S K M

S K M Senior member

There you have it! :lol: (although I am a Carlsberg man)

As far as I know you always had to make an appointment in advance which now is not necessary anymore… I do hope she is old though, and not cold :eh:

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

burrrrrr ice cold

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think you make an excellent point, the leathers really should be reversed. Hmm, not so sure I agree with the 202 or not. 202 (not blobby) but it just seems bigger than what I looking for at times.

I did however see a Galway on the 202 just recently and I really thought that looked great. I forget exactly what one person said, but description was a perfect fit. Something to the point that it wasn't as sleek as the 82, and it was better than the 64 in the business environment because it didn't have such a rounded toe.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Too be honest I've seen a couple of pictures but no hands on experience with this leather and I don't like what I've seen so far. I think it looks like it's probably very supple and thus it also looks like it has very little structure to it. I've yet to see anything in this leather that visually appeals to me to this point.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It's a perfect day to break (Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) out a brand new pair of Shearling lined boots. It's just too bad I've not yet made up my mind whether I'm keeping them or not.

Besides I'm seriously debating whether to treat them or not before I subject them to the nasty salt and chemicals they have to put down during this time of year. A couple of SF users in the shoe care thread highly recommended Glen Karens waterproofing cream. I'm thinking about giving this a try.

14. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

First, she doesn't sound interested in providing any useful info over the phone. I know for sure she provided me a false info at least once, as I phoned her on the day of the sale to ask about the style and got the reply" We haven't got any", but the guy who went there found them sitting on the rack and purchased them for me.

Second, I do think she might be lazy, as EG FS do not have the clear policy about posting the shoes outside their shop. Recently, Hilary Freeman advised the rejects should be posted outside the factory, after they charge your credit card. Postage should be around 25GBP to EU.

The John Lobb FS and Church's are whole different story. The ladies working there are a dream always willing to assist. I even got the free shoe trees in john lobb after repeated purchase.

Also, I heard from many guys dropping by the EG shop without any appointment that they have been allowed to enter the shop without a problem.

15. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

@dddrees

Seen these?

[​IMG]

Mole suede and rosewood cc.

16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I'm really surprised to hear that someone who interacts directly with their customers isn't more customer friendly. I find it very odd that they haven't done something about that.

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes I have, but I don't think I realized at the time the calf was in Rosewood CC . I've often thought about getting a Galway with a brownish suede shaft, however since I have a version on the 82 with blue already I thought maybe about doing something on the 64 with a suede shaft this go around. Lately I've been thinking more along the 202 Last however. I think I want to think about it a bit longer before making any decisions.

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

That's how I felt when I handled it, I questioned the durability and really thought EG's crust leather held burnishing better. I don't totally hate but feel like there are better options out there for me.

19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think for versatility if there is such a thing when you have 3 or more Galways. LOL

If not primarily for a bit of difference it's important to look at the various colors that you can use on the vamp, as well as the materials and colors on the shaft, and finally the Last. But the lower part or Vamp is the portion that will be seen the most. So with one if not two in Rosewood CC, and a Dover in Mahogany which very similar to Rosewood I would more than likely go in a different direction with the color on the vamp or lower portion of the boot.

However for someone who doesn't have the ones I have this would be a fabulous version to get.

If I were to get another pair of Galways I think I would even seriously consider getting a pair in green like they sell at unipair.

This would not stop me from getting the Harrogate in Rosewood CC though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  20. mw313

mw313 Senior member

The Beaulieus are a great looking shoe. There are so few Austerity brogues in the first place but EG keeps theirs so classy. It definitely seems for formal but I can see it also used for some more casual pairings if you choose certain leathers.