• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also there is no heel counter. Pretty sure these are equivalent to EG ectons.

I wasn't aware of the Ecton EG model. Will do some further research, thanks.

That's the Ecton

EGEcton.jpg

The difference is a set of additional facings (underneath the lacings) which the Carter does have but not the Ecton.

michaelvl

Reaction score
The Ecton's are different to the RL Carters, here is a pic of a pair of Ecton's (not mine).
The Ecton's are basically a 3 eyelet version of the Dover, without the heel counter and with a single sole.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the RLPL Carter has 3 eyelets, as opposed to 5 on the Dover. Here are the pair I have

damn, some nice shoes rite there, thanks for posting

That's the Ecton
EGEcton.jpg

The difference is a set of additional facings (underneath the lacings) which the Carter does have but not the Ecton.

Like these too- they seem to work quite well without the heel counter.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

damn,  some nice shoes rite there, thanks for posting

Like these too-  they seem to work quite well without the heel counter.

Not bad wtihout the heel counter but I prefer them with . . .

Reaction score
EG E width is NOT equal to an American D. At least in EG's view, and from my experience also. How can you know for sure? There is only one width printed on the inside, but two lengths. It is true that for many, if not nearly all, British makers, an E does equal a US D. C&J is a good example.

All of my Greens are marked D, and that is my US width also.

Of course you should choose the fit you like. Green's philosophy is that shoes should fit snugly in width, like a slipper. Snugger than many Americans are used to.

Last edited:

gsugsu

Reaction score
It does come down to fit. I wear 8.5/9E which I find to be equivalent to a US D (almost). But it does come down to the last and how it fits you.

I believe that there are some posts here in this thread stating that EG shoe width sizing is the same in the UK and US. I take that to mean an EG shoe with the UK/US size labeled E at BB indicates a UK E. But if you require a UK D (narrow) then I see what you are driving at.

Others may care to comment or correct my interpretation.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Gsu,
But it would also indicate a US E, no?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A traditionally handmade ‘split-reverse’ (‘stormwelt’ in English) looks something like this:

welt.png

The leather strip is partially split; the lower section is stitched underneath while the upper section forms a lip
against the shoe. Unlike the Goiserer/Bentivegna, you won’t see any additional stitching on the outside of the shoe:[

Yes, the stormwelt/split reverse is quite different from goiserer and bentivegna. It's essentially just a normal welt with a lip running around the outside.

Funnily enough, if you look at Alden's storm welt, they have faux stitching on the top split lip, which makes it look like it's Bentivegna construction, when it's really just a normal welt with a lip (i.e. the stitching does not run through the upper to the insole). I think this is called "fudge" stitching.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does come down to fit. I wear 8.5/9E which I find to be equivalent to a US D (almost). But it does come down to the last and how it fits you.
I believe that there are some posts here in this thread stating that EG shoe width sizing is the same in the UK and US. I take that to mean an EG shoe with the UK/US size labeled E at BB indicates a UK E. But if you require a UK D (narrow) then I see what you are driving at.

I think the EG "E" width is much closer to a U.S. "D" width. Maybe a "D+" but certainly not an U.S. "E" and the EG "D" is narrower than a U.S. "D."

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the Brendon might actually be more of an Ecton boot than a Dover boot . . .

Promised some pics of the RLPL Brendon aka EG Halifax - double-soled on the 89 last in dark oak:
With flash:

Natural Light:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All EG's I have seen show both the UK and US length and a single width, e.g. 10.5/11B. Therefore, I would conclude that they do not have a width coding specifically for the US.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Comparing the picture of the 'Brendon' (which I've never seen before) to my four eyelets 'Halifax' (which is the boot version of the 'Dover'), I believe it is actually the same boot (same pattern) with just a different arrangement of the eyelets.

At one time, EG did offer the 'Halifax' with five eyelets. Again it was the identical pattern, just the eyelets were a bit closer spaced to get five pairs into that same space. Judging by the picture, the 'Brendon' might be the five eyelets 'Halifax' version with the bottom two let off. The eyelets look closer together than on my four eyelets version.

Here is the five and the four eyelet version of the ;Halifax:

IMG_2788.jpg

halifax_l.jpg

Actually my mistake, looking at the pictures again, there is a difference in the pattern between 'Brendon' and 'Halifax'. The bottom corner, where the lowest eyelet sits is cut off on the 'Brandon'.

Last edited:

cwh812

Reaction score

I'm not sure about that. I would take the heel counter as being more definitive measure of the extrapolation of a shoe to a boot, rather than the number of eyelets. I think the number of eyelets from a shoe to boot conversion is always something that may change because the lacing and elongation up the ankle is one of the main components of the difference. I think it is safe to say, however, if anything, it is a mixture of both.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Canterbury and the Lichfield?
The only thing I can see is that the latter has smaller brogueing holes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads