• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean the way the lips of the leather at the split on the toe are pinched, sewn, then trimmed -  as opposed to ghosted the EG way or an overlap seam as seen on the 'lake' of the Demeter-Halmos.

Make it simpler: in the Kiss sample the leather is folded to the outside, in EG (or JM Weston) the leather id folded to the inside.
So in one you can see the inlay, while in the other you cannot.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have three questions concerning EG, which I hope can be answered.

1. Is "Dark Oak" and "Dark Oak Antique" the same color? I'm confused by this and by looking at pictures, which states different names of colors (antique and not antique) but seems to look the same in color.
2. I wear C&J UK7.5 E width (348 last), Vass UK7.5 normal width (U- and F-lasts) and G&G UK8 E width. What should my EG size be for the 888 last?
3. Could someone explain the "Dark Oak Antique" color compared to C&J's "Dark Brown" (Hallam), Vass "Dark Brown" and/or G&G's "Dark Oak"?

Thanks in advance.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,
I have three questions concerning EG, which I hope can be answered.

1. Is "Dark Oak" and "Dark Oak Antique" the same color? I'm confused by this and by looking at pictures, which states different names of colors (antique and not antique) but seems to look the same in color.
2. I wear C&J UK7.5 E width (348 last), Vass UK7.5 normal width (U- and F-lasts) and G&G UK8 E width. What should my EG size be for the 888 last?
3. Could someone explain the "Dark Oak Antique" color compared to C&J's "Dark Brown" (Hallam), Vass "Dark Brown" and/or G&G's "Dark Oak"?

Thanks in advance.

1. The base color is dark oak. You can order it without antiquing which is the applied patina look that EG is known for.
2. I was advised to get a 1/2 size larger than usual, but it's bit long for me. I would probably stick with usual size. If your feet are on the wider size, just get a width bigger.
3. EG's dark oak is pretty comparable to the G&G color. My Vass dark brown was a bit darker in color. I prefer the EG color.
4. Buy my EG's on the B/S forum.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I purchase the Telford or Asquith in 9.5/10E?

Anyone have a website that carries this? Or a retailer in the US or one that ships to the US?

Thanks

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where can I purchase the Telford or Asquith in 9.5/10E?

Anyone have a website that carries this?  Or a retailer in the US or one that ships to the US?

Thanks

Try calling EG Jermyn street or Edwards of Manchester in the UK. Not many retailers in the US keep regular stock but you can try Leather Soul, Leffot, or Axel's.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The base color is dark oak. You can order it without antiquing which is the applied patina look that EG is known for.
2. I was advised to get a 1/2 size larger than usual, but it's bit long for me. I would probably stick with usual size. If your feet are on the wider size, just get a width bigger.
3. EG's dark oak is pretty comparable to the G&G color. My Vass dark brown was a bit darker in color. I prefer the EG color.
4. Buy my EG's on the B/S forum.
Thank you very much for a very helpful answer.

4. You have PM.

Reaction score
The jokers at BB are only carrying Greens in E widths. Must be the C&J Peal influence. Bastards.

michaelvl

Reaction score

E.G. Southwold on 888 in Burgundy antique

PS: Excuse the lousy quality iPhone pics.

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

did not know-  r these the 'carter'-   with 3 eyes?

Yes, the RLPL Carter has 3 eyelets, as opposed to 5 on the Dover. Here are the pair I have:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also there is no heel counter. Pretty sure these are equivalent to EG ectons.

I wasn't aware of the Ecton EG model. Will do some further research, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads