• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hear you.  You may be homeless but stay classy!  (Goes straight to hell.)

hell? i hope not. imagine sitting in a hot and humid room for all eternity. i would be annoyed initially, but would probably become bored out of my mind around year 21243242423. would probably leave the shell at home and opt for a loafer. unlined would be ideal. something in green would be a nice contrast to the eternal fires of hell

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

you are describing half the hipsters I see one  daily basis. my buddy likes to play homeless or hipster. the fact they are tap into earbuds makes it seem like they are walking down the street talking to themselves like a crazy person

lol, dress up as homeless people? thats awesome. are they wearing C&J? lol amirite EG crowd? right?

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
LOL @ NAMOR. He is on a roll today...

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol, dress up as homeless people? thats awesome. are they wearing C&J? lol amirite EG crowd? right?

Hipsters don't wear C&J, more like Alden, Grenson X Wooster, or Dr. Martens.

Hey... I wear Alden... :nest:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hell? i hope not. imagine sitting in a hot and humid room for all eternity. i would be annoyed initially, but would probably become bored out of my mind around year 21243242423. would probably leave the shell at home and opt for a loafer. unlined would be ideal. something in green would be a nice contrast to the eternal fires of hell
"I'm going to hell! The worst place in the world! With devils
and those caves and the ragged clothing! And the heat! My god, the heat!"

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ dude can you imagine if we were allowed to bring a handful of items with us? handsdown would bring a horsehair brush and shoe polish. id finally have time to get that spit shoe shine

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

£295 is indeed a decent price, but pretty sure it's still pretty far from cost price and EG are still making good profits at that price point.

I think some people have a distorted view of "production cost".

The cost of an individual pair of shoes is more than the actual cost of the materials. There is a factory where premises, utilities and taxes have to be paid, there is staff working in production and admin that need to be paid every month (even when they are sick or on maternity leave), the amortization and depreciation of machinery needs to be accounted, interest on loans will have to be paid etc. etc.

It will cost every day/week a certain amount to keep the factory going, even if not a single pair of shoes were produced. The accountants will know, how many pairs need to be produced every day as not to make a loss, to break even and to make a (modest) profit. Maybe EG (the company) can file a profit these days, but profit (after all costs are paid) is likely to be a few, single figure, percentage points of the firm's turnover.

At least 90% of all the Northamptonshire shoe factories that were in existence 100 years ago have gone to the wall, not due to making excessive profits but due to making losses. 10 years ago, business was very bad and virtually all the surviving factories were on short-time work.

Nobody ever got rich in the shoe trade, not even those men who founded the factories in the late 19th century. Well-off and comfortable maybe, but to get rich (seriously rich) they should have ventured into pharmaceuticals or armaments.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @MalfordOfLondon --- Just ordered my first EGs (finally, after so much time here) -- Dark Oak Chelseas on the 82 Last -- at an amazing price. Really appreciate the generosity in acting as proxy. I've been neglecting the more business-oriented part of my wardrobe and these are absolutely THE perfect addition. Been eyeing them for a long time as it was.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am following styleforum and your posts for some time now.

Perhaps something interesting to share: a friend informed me that Dutch www.stijlforum.nl is organising a 'wholesale' purchase action after an Edward Green ex factory/ cost price list was posted late last week, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/95619497@N04/.
In case you're interested, one of the global moderators seems to be in the lead listing your Edward Green wishes.

Here is the post with old wholesale prices

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to @MalfordOfLondon
 --- Just ordered my first EGs (finally, after so much time here) -- Dark Oak Chelseas on the 82 Last -- at an amazing price.  Really appreciate the generosity in acting as proxy.  I've been neglecting the more business-oriented part of my wardrobe and these are absolutely THE perfect addition.  Been eyeing them for a long time as it was. 

Great start! The shade of dark oak is also great and should age well. Welcome to the club.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

--- Just ordered my first EGs (finally, after so much time here) -- Dark Oak Chelseas on the 82 Last -- at an amazing price.  Really appreciate the generosity in acting as proxy.  I've been neglecting the more business-oriented part of my wardrobe and these are absolutely THE perfect addition.  Been eyeing them for a long time as it was. 

Congrats, Buda!! What's next????

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whaaaa? all those posts about hell, trolling this thread for how long now, and you dont even own a pair? GTFO!!!!!!

you need atleast 5 pairs before you can have the balls to post asinine comments worthy of unsubscribe status

edit - congrats btw. i hear eg makes good shoes

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Buda!! What's next????

Poverty, destitute poverty. Basically chilling behind the dumpsters with NAMOR, maybe in some Galways…

Whaaaa? all those posts about hell, trolling this thread for how long now, and you dont even own a pair? GTFO!!!!!!

you need atleast 5 pairs before you can have the balls to post asinine comments worthy of unsubscribe status
I am an attorney. I can make asinine comments all I want and generally do so all day long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads