• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jhcam8
wow.gif
You, Sir, have some exceptional shoe collection.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both the 82 and the 888 in the Westminster - maybe the offerings have changed since I bought them.

Per the most current Skoak EG price list, the Westminster can be made on the 82 and 888 last.

So how about a Westminster GMTO then :)

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sevenfoldtieguy Could you post a photo of Westminister on 202 last? Pleeeeease!

partyof6

Reaction score
Trying to purchase my first EG and leaning toward Malvern or Asquith.

How do the 82 and 888 lasts compare to Vass F? I have a very high instep and often have a large "V" gap in oxfords. Size 42 in Vass F fits me a touch long but overall very well. The laces close with about a 1/4 inch gap.

Do EG's 82 and 888 lasts accommodate high insteps as well Vass F? Any other major fit differences?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion is the instep of EG is not that high. If Vass fits close to perfect in the instep area for you, EG might leave a large 'V' when you wear oxfords.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both the 82 and the 888 in the Westminster - maybe the offerings have changed since I bought them.
Lucky I ordered these last year then - or maybe the year before.
Galway 202

Thats some really nice old age hoarding right there.
wink.gif
Great stuff! Congrats.

pandaologist

Reaction score
Shearling Galway in walnut country calf and mink suede, hopefully a feature of many winters to come, alongside the almond country calf model (both veldtschoen). Colour is most accurate in the bottom photo:

imag0391b.jpg

imag0387g.jpg

imag0398i.jpg

imag0388b.jpg
How does the shearling hold up in these boots?

With the shearling lining are they comfortable for use in Autumn and Spring, or does it relegate it to being a Winter only boot.

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
How does the shearling hold up in these boots?

With the shearling lining are they comfortable for use in Autumn and Spring, or does it relegate it to being a Winter only boot.

Shearing is looking a little bit thin after two years' wear but in good condition and they barely got worn last winter due to most of Britain just having a six-month wet autumn instead!

Seasonal wear will be relative to your local conditions, of course, but I could wear these between October and February or March if I wanted too, and that's in the mild UK climate.

If you're after a proper, shearling-lined winter boot though then Cheaney have some decent models which, to me, are much more suitable and you'll be quids in because they're less than half the retail price of EG. I own the Irvine brogue boot by them which is fully lined as opposed to just the leg of the boot, as per the Galway. Not as classy and definitely chunkier but but possibly more suited than even the 64 last Galway to a decent chunky winter wardrobe.

pandaologist

Reaction score
Thanks. I will pass on the shearling then.

The Cheaney's would be nice, but I'm a B fitting and they don't offer anything quite so narrow.

Does anyone know any other brands aside from EG and C&J that will provide a boot in a B fitting?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Cheaney lasts to be "clownish" with those toe box .. The reason I never bought anything from them, though I'm sure they have a good price/value ratio ..

Having shearling in the boots is useless if you live in the cities, imo .. Wherever you go, AC is on- malls/buildings/parking lots .. My feet would boil in those boots .. They make sense if you would walk in a snow for a longer distances, or go to mountain on vacation..

CTBrummie

Reaction score

I find Cheaney lasts to be "clownish" with those toe box .. The reason I never bought anything from them, though I'm sure they have a good price/value ratio ..

Having shearling in the boots is useless if you live in the cities, imo .. Wherever you go, AC is on- malls/buildings/parking lots .. My feet would boil in those boots .. They make sense if you would walk in a snow for a longer distances, or go to mountain on vacation..

I find their lasts to be more traditional than some of the more recent, sleeker lasts that have found fame since English boot makers have won more international renown.

They're decent boots though, just perfect for a walk down to a nice pub on a snowy night just before Christmas :)

partyof6

Reaction score

My opinion is the instep of EG is not that high. If Vass fits close to perfect in the instep area for you, EG might leave a large 'V' when you wear oxfords.

Thank you for your help. The only place near me that carries EG is brooks brothers. They haven't had my size in stock for the last several months, however, so i haven't been able to try them on. Only been able to go one size up and one size down, but that doesn't help me determine the instep gap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads