• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Galway is a great design. The bottom segment I believe is cut from 1 piece of leather. The cap is not an additional piece, but rather stitched for decorative purposes. You pair that with the 82 last and it's a very sleek, curvaceous boot. The mixed media designs with CC and suede (see axels and skoaktiebaloget designs) add visual interest and playfulness to the shaft. Even the point where the shaft attaches to the boot is curved and elegant.

Well at least that's why I like the Galway.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galway is a great design. The bottom segment I believe is cut from 1 piece of leather. The cap is not an additional piece, but rather stitched for decorative purposes. You pair that with the 82 last and it's a very sleek, curvaceous boot. The mixed media designs with CC and suede (see axels and skoaktiebaloget designs) add visual interest and playfulness to the shaft. Even the point where the shaft attaches to the boot is curved and elegant.

Well said, except the words "playfulness" and "shaft" really should never appear in the same sentence.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally like the fact the boot can be configured to come in two different types of leathers. I think it gives the boot a bit of extra texture and character. The way they designed the side of boot is a perfect place to transition from one to the other.

CTBrummie

Reaction score

I personally like the fact the boot can be configured to come in two different types of leathers.  I think it gives the boot a bit of extra texture and character. The way they designed the side of boot is a perfect place to transition from one to the other.  

You know that the design of the boot isn't an unique EG makeup, right? C&J have the same design in the Snowdon, and boots were made on that generic pattern by older makers, notably George Webb, Tecnic and Alfred Sargent, back when they still made normal shoes.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know that the design of the boot isn't an unique EG makeup, right? C&J have the same design in the Snowdon, and boots were made on that generic pattern by older makers, notably George Webb, Tecnic and Alfred Sargent, back when they still made normal shoes.

I wasn't aware of this, and thanks for the information. However there are other things about the boot that I like as well.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midnight blue monks with a little bit more wear on them

hysuryry.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i remember when you got those about 2 years ago? very nice looks great

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nice kicks.  it seems like Galways are all the rage lately, i.e. the last couple years but more so recently.  Does anyone have any theories as to why? don't get me wrong, I like the model, but does every igent, EG fan, etc. need a (dress) boot?  thanks.

Though the conversation has been done before, I thought I'd chime in since I'm an outlier. I'm a boot nut at about 3/4 of my shoes being boots, and Galways are the only boot I've seen that don't draw me.

Heck, I got a great deal on a pair from Malford of London when he last proxied an EG Sale and I passed them along. Something about the upper just doesn't resonate with me. Everything else about them was fantastic - leather, color, construction, details, etc. But, for me, they just don't sing. Heck, looking at the picture after all this time and I'm still thinking "nice, but not quite."

Clearly, there's something wrong with me.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Nothing wrong with you at all. Different strokes for different folks. I look at that same pic and say "wow, they are gorgeous".

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Though the conversation has been done before, I thought I'd chime in since I'm an outlier. I'm a boot nut at about 3/4 of my shoes being boots, and Galways are the only boot I've seen that don't draw me.

Heck, I got a great deal on a pair from Malford of London when he last proxied an EG Sale and I passed them along. Something about the upper just doesn't resonate with me. Everything else about them was fantastic - leather, color, construction, details, etc. But, for me, they just don't sing. Heck, looking at the picture after all this time and I'm still thinking "nice, but not quite."

Yes, yes there is.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

How do you feel about Mahogany country calfed, 202 lasted, Dainite soled Dovers???? :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads