• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently bought a pair of Oundles (888 last, Burnt Pine) from Leffot. They arrived today and feel a bit tight just at the opening, where you'd insert your foot. Essentially, when I walk, the top of the shoe feels like it's cutting a bit into my foot . Anyone have experience with this? It feels like I should get a different size, but I'm not sure if that would help. Should I return them or hope they'll break in?

they'll probably break into your feet/shin bone/ankle...

better return or exchange for a wider size

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any guidance on the 82 last? In particular, I'm trying to understand the widths and whether to buy D or E. I have read quite a bit on various threads regarding what is considered the "standard" width, but can't confirm what's fact vs. fiction. Some say that the 82 last runs wide, so that a "D" is the medium width, while some say that the "E" is medium width. I would love to try both, but for the fact that I'm trying to score a pair online and need some guidance.

FWIW, my Alden size is Barrie last 9.5D and in the Lobb Lopez loafer I wear a 9E.

Many thanks!

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any guidance on the 82 last?  In particular, I'm trying to understand the widths and whether to buy D or E.  I have read quite a bit on various threads regarding what is considered the "standard" width, but can't confirm what's fact vs. fiction.  Some say that the 82 last runs wide, so that a "D" is the medium width, while some say that the "E" is medium width.  I would love to try both, but for the fact that I'm trying to score a pair online and need some guidance.

FWIW, my Alden size is Barrie last 9.5D and in the Lobb Lopez loafer I wear a 9E.

Many thanks!

E is more like a US D medium IMO. I have a pair of D that are a little too narrow. My E width shoes are fine OOTB.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to all regarding the compliments on the EG's the other day, they are awesome. Finally the first EGs I got that fit correctly.

Any guidance on the 82 last?  In particular, I'm trying to understand the widths and whether to buy D or E.  I have read quite a bit on various threads regarding what is considered the "standard" width, but can't confirm what's fact vs. fiction.  Some say that the 82 last runs wide, so that a "D" is the medium width, while some say that the "E" is medium width.  I would love to try both, but for the fact that I'm trying to score a pair online and need some guidance.

Many thanks!

FWIW, the 82s I just posted are a 9/9.5 and fit my 9.5US foot perfectly. I take an 8.5 in Lobb lasts, but don't have much experience with Alden.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Many thanks!

Sounds like you are a 9.5UK/10US D in EG

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dieworkwear, I had this same issue with my Grant. The vamp area and instep are really low and you probably feel pressure at the base of your toes. The first day i tried "breaking" them in, i got blisters. Afterwards I grabbed my show trees from the JL 8695 last (high instep) and left them in the grant overnight. Stretched out just enough and now fit like a glove

cwh812

Reaction score

Many thanks!

I have about 15 pairs of EG shoes. 10 I have in D width and the others are an E. For me D is a little tight out of the box, but ultimately fit perfectly after 10 or so wears. I have found it to be a little more narrow than other American D makes (e.g. Allen Edmonds) and definitely more narrow than John Lobb's E. The E width is slightly wider to me to John Lobb's E, however, still fit me ok.

With respect to the 82 this last is very narrow in the toe box. I have 2 pairs in D and my toes were definitely cramped at first. If I were to order another pair on the 82 last I would order in an E.

mrbrioni

Reaction score
I just purchased the "newmarket" boots from Leffor and the D width was a tad tight for me so Steven left them on the stretcher for the weekend.

Maybe bring them back to him and have him stretch them out a little.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a 9.5UK/10US D in EG

Thanks NAMOR! Just ordered the Claverton in 9.5/10D on Leffot....it was on sale for $675 (40% off) and the last pair.

Seems like that was a good deal, unless I'm missing something and the Claverton is the redheaded stepchild of EG???

Oh, and I suppose I owe you an apology for calling you an a-hole on the Alden thread....
shog[1].gif

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call Mark at Edward's of Manchester if you're looking for something stock at EG. He's helping me get some westminster's in dark oak. You get to use the current discount code as well. Hopefully it works out.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks NAMOR!  Just ordered the Claverton in 9.5/10D on Leffot....it was on sale for $675 (40% off) and the last pair.

Seems like that was a good deal, unless I'm missing something and the Claverton is the redheaded stepchild of EG???

Oh, and I suppose I owe you an apology for calling you an a-hole on the Alden thread....
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Great purchase! I want those too and Leffot didn't have my size and the only othe place I know of has an 10.5US.

Call Mark at Edward's of Manchester if you're looking for something stock at EG. He's helping me get some westminster's in dark oak. You get to use the current discount code as well. Hopefully it works out.

Nice to know.

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I see you are back at being a d@#k, hence my references to your reputation on here.

Do you have a picture to contribute, some information to contribute, anything to contribute to an appreciation thead? Use your knowledge for something, because I have seen limited posts where you demonstrate it.

Now run along, hope all is well :slayer:

Last edited:

Stirling

Reaction score
^^ I see you are back at being a d@#k, hence my references to your reputation on here.
Do you have a picture to contribute, some information to contribute, anything to contribute to an appreciation thead? Use your knowledge for something, because I have seen limited posts where you demonstrate it.
Now run along, hope all is well
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Hey idiot, are you even literate? That wasn't a negative comment...spend your money on english lessons not shoes clown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads