• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ unbelievable. Reading the alden thread makes me want to smash my head against the wall.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, NAMOR, used shoes for about twice what they cost as new. The hardcore Alden guys (and neophytes) make me laugh, constantly. Cheers.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, I don't get it. Have alden reached a cult level status like Jordan's from early 90s-2000s? What's frustrating is that anyone whose tried EG, Vass, etc would ever spend that coin. Certainly not for a lesser shoe. And #4 isn't that great either! Ravello or Cigar all the way. I think the take away from that is sell your #4 shoes @stevent

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I don't get it. Have alden reached a cult level status like Jordan's from early 90s-2000s? What's frustrating is that anyone whose tried EG, Vass, etc would ever spend that coin. Certainly not for a lesser shoe. And #4 isn't that great either! Ravello or Cigar all the way. I think the take away from that is sell your #4 shoes @stevent
Maybe it's the camera or my screen settings but the way those color 4 boots look, they are like an inferior, washed out version of Carmina's ruby shell. I am not a fan at all. I cannot understand the frenzy. Who you gonna impress with that rare color 4 shell? Internet strangers? (No offense to the dude selling - hope he makes as much as possible off those.)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I don't get it. Have alden reached a cult level status like Jordan's from early 90s-2000s? What's frustrating is that anyone whose tried EG, Vass, etc would ever spend that coin. Certainly not for a lesser shoe. And #4 isn't that great either! Ravello or Cigar all the way. I think the take away from that is sell your #4 shoes [@=/u/76580/stevent]@stevent[/@]

Maybe it's the camera or my screen settings but the way those color 4 boots look, they are like an inferior, washed out version of Carmina's ruby shell.  I am not a fan at all. I cannot understand the frenzy.  Who you gonna impress with that rare color 4 shell?  Internet strangers?  (No offense to the dude selling - hope he makes as much as possible off those.)

For shoes and boots, i personally have never understood the appeal of color 4 shell (brownish - red, but mostly red) or ruby shell (red).

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they sell for north of $2000 I'm gonna list mine for the selling price
For shoes and boots, i personally have never understood the appeal of color 4 shell (brownish - red, but mostly red) or ruby shell (red).

With denim I like color 4. Shade has a lot of depth that older ravello / cigar has. But then again I like green shoes and don't really like color 8 cordovan so my preferences are quite skewed

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly.

That's just too much money for an Alden shoe or boot period.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Color4 is not even that nice a color. Like Buda said; the only people that boot will impress are people here. I still like my Aldens, but I do not like color4 and I can get a MTO Galway for that money.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It is not the best cordovan color but it does have its moments.
peepwall[1].gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score
Inlike the color 4 For casual looks with khakis and jeans. I was recently lucky enough to be able to get a pair of the color 4 long wings offered by alden of Carmel and I am happy to have them.but even the price I paid, which is a relatively small fraction of the auction price for the pair on eBay,I had to think about the purchase. Never in my wildest dreams (nightmares) what I consider payIng what is going on in that auction. But I would never pay one cent for someone else's funked - up , bacteria - ridden shoes. Even if I would, at 4 figures, the equation makes no sense: funky, used shoes v. EG, or Lobb or st. Crispin or (insert your own choice for high end shoe) made to fit your feet with your choice of leather and design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads