1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

A-H of course? the upper construction is almost identidcal with the Demeter-Halmos on previous page, including the back-strap and the kissing toe seam. Must be a tradition?

amazing, yes Harrydog, but quite some time ago. 4.5 yrs! that is a serious shoe-memory, esp for someone who is no EG fan. Bought at a factory sale in 2008

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

A traditionally handmade ‘split-reverse’ (‘stormwelt’ in English) looks something like this:

[​IMG]

The leather strip is partially split; the lower section is stitched underneath while the upper section forms a lip
    against the shoe. Unlike the Goiserer/Bentivegna, you won’t see any additional stitching on the outside of the shoe:

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Guyla Kiss, one of the greatest I have ever met. certainly, I'm biased, though. I've seen the work frome some of the best in the world in flesh, so I allow myself this judgement. the back strap is tradition and I love it. not sure what you mean by the kissing toe seam?

it's the arrangement of the pic and the quality of the pic. ap never had the depth and never pictured boxes.

not a fan, oh well. i'm happy, when you guys are happy. never forget, we, who write and participate here in a disiplined manner have one in common - we love shoes and not solely ours collection.

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I mean the way the lips of the leather at the split on the toe are pinched, sewn, then trimmed - as opposed to ghosted the EG way or an overlap seam as seen on the 'lake' of the Demeter-Halmos.

5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

oka thanks- I'm surprised as I didn't think this was possible.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ah, i see.

7. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Make it simpler: in the Kiss sample the leather is folded to the outside, in EG (or JM Weston) the leather id folded to the inside.
    So in one you can see the inlay, while in the other you cannot.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Hello,
    I have three questions concerning EG, which I hope can be answered.

1. Is "Dark Oak" and "Dark Oak Antique" the same color? I'm confused by this and by looking at pictures, which states different names of colors (antique and not antique) but seems to look the same in color.
    2. I wear C&J UK7.5 E width (348 last), Vass UK7.5 normal width (U- and F-lasts) and G&G UK8 E width. What should my EG size be for the 888 last?
    3. Could someone explain the "Dark Oak Antique" color compared to C&J's "Dark Brown" (Hallam), Vass "Dark Brown" and/or G&G's "Dark Oak"?

Thanks in advance.

9. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

1. The base color is dark oak. You can order it without antiquing which is the applied patina look that EG is known for.
    2. I was advised to get a 1/2 size larger than usual, but it's bit long for me. I would probably stick with usual size. If your feet are on the wider size, just get a width bigger.
    3. EG's dark oak is pretty comparable to the G&G color. My Vass dark brown was a bit darker in color. I prefer the EG color.
    4. Buy my EG's on the B/S forum.

10. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Where can I purchase the Telford or Asquith in 9.5/10E?

Anyone have a website that carries this? Or a retailer in the US or one that ships to the US?

Thanks

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Try calling EG Jermyn street or Edwards of Manchester in the UK. Not many retailers in the US keep regular stock but you can try Leather Soul, Leffot, or Axel's.

12. Burton

Burton Senior member

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thank you very much for a very helpful answer.

4. You have PM.

14. 89826

89826 Senior member

The jokers at BB are only carrying Greens in E widths. Must be the C&J Peal influence. Bastards.

15. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

E.G. Southwold on 888 in Burgundy antique

PS: Excuse the lousy quality iPhone pics.

16. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

You need a UK D width?

17. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

that is US D width. carry on.

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

quite nice

19. LS7

LS7 Senior member

Yes, the RLPL Carter has 3 eyelets, as opposed to 5 on the Dover. Here are the pair I have:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Also there is no heel counter. Pretty sure these are equivalent to EG ectons.