1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

This is a great style. I suppose now is the time to scoop up ready to wear stock of any styles you like, perhaps even during late summer sales, if you can wait. The recently announced price increases and policy changes are interesting at best.

Also, when did Top Drawer become so damn expensive, lol? Glad I am not really in the market for much of this stuff these days. I expect EG will re-introduce a bespoke service yet again. Cheers gentlemen.

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Thanks. Great deal. Let us know how they fit and, of course, post plenty of pics!

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Not a problem, Buda.

4. laufer

laufer Senior member

Tifosi,

Congratulation and good luck. Do let us know how do they fit in respect to other EG shoes you wear. I am reluctant to order because I really do not know how to size F last.

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thank you and I will. I didn't really even consider the F width when sizing. I stuck with the same length and I think that is most important. I hope these will fit like "real" boots and that is what I want anyway, haha. Only time will tell. I will report back next week when they are on my feet.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

You will be F. There is so little difference and simply a bit thicker sock will take up any volume. I believe you can also get a sock liner from EG to take up volume as well if need be

7. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@tifosi Hot Damn! I might just follow! But will use a darker cream, as the color is a bit loud for my taste.

One Q:

I see the price is 745£ including the VAT, in my case shoes would be sent to Germany, that is EU. So, no VAT return for me, need to pay the full price.

However, can I have the 10% discount on that amount and end up paying them 670 GBP? For that money - all systems go-, that's the price some flippers are selling the Galway rejects on ebay.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Can anyone here compare the Galway on 64 compared to the 202? Trying to decide on an MTO an unsure which last to choose. Thanks!

9. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

The Galway on 64 seems very "stubby" to me (in the toe area) and I'm def not a fan. I do like it in 82 and 202, however, in that order.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It's true, the 64 is a bit more "stubby" than the 202. I find it stubbier looking in real life, actually, than what's often depicted online. I may have said this elsewhere, but a lot of shoe photographs seem to angle the shoes so they're at a sort of 3/4 profile, giving them a sleeker look.

Anyway, I like the 64 with really casual pants, including jeans. Just depends on what you plan to wear your shoes with.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

3/4 look does look less stubby

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

If you go to the site and you get a pop up that says "10% off your first order if you sign up for the newsletter" you are good to go. The code I got in my email didn't want to work on the site, but I called and got it all straightened out.

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Thanks pretty much will always wear with denim or casual pants so looking at 202 or 64.

14. Sabutai

Sabutai Well-Known Member

I just purchased the same boots that @tifosi did. I will post some pictures. I sized them the same as my 888 last, and while an F width, they fit great. Super deal and they shipped and were received in two days. I'm really happy with them, as they will be my go to country shoe.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That is great news. Let's see some pics!

1 person likes this.
  16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I've always liked this pair. Sadly, Steven does not typically stock 6.5E.

17. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

A little bit of history of Edward Green from an interview of Andrew Murphy who's now with Foster & Son:

My next step was when I left New & Lingwood to start the Edward Green brand of ready to wear for retail. Edward Green was a shoe manufacturer, they’d never run their own store. So in 1991, when John Hlustik was the owner of Edward Green and he decided that he wanted to start a retail business, everybody around said: "Don’t do it, you are manufacturer, you don’t know anything about retail. It will fail, what you are doing is crazy!" Edward Green was the first factory with its own shop in London. Of course, I knew John Hlustik from my time in New & Lingwood and told him that I’d help him to open the store. There were three of us, John Hlustik, the owner, me and another guy, and we opened the first store in 1991, when I was 23. Nobody had heard of Edward Green and customers would ask: "Who are you? Where do you come from?" We explained that we were manufacturers with a Northampton factory that had been in existence for more than 100 years, that we had never had a shop before and that we made lovely and beautiful shoes. And people said: "Well, yes, they are quite nice". And, slowly, slowly, we were educating people about who we were.

In those days there was no Internet, no social media, you couldn’t advertise for free. If you advertised you had to pay lots of money to magazines and other publications and that was not an option for us. So we worked by word of mouth. Customers came in and we talked to them. They might buy shoes, they might not. In those early days we might sell two or three pairs of shoes a week, and every pair of shoes we sold was a true victory for us, we celebrated like we’d won a cup. Like any business, we had to start with tiny steps, from nothing to something. As we started people slowly began to understand the brand and the shoes, they realized it was a high-quality product and we went from there, from strength to strength. So we opened two more stores - one at Jermyn Street, one at the Arcade. Today Edward Green has one store at Jermyn Street and they have great brand and a great product. Edward Green sell their shoes around the world, they came from that humble beginning, as a retail store, and just take a look at where they are now. Now they are very well known in the market place. I stayed until 2000 when I left to work with John Carnera again.

http://www.pennyyard.com/#!andrew-murphy-interview-eng/ck1l

1 person likes this.
  18. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I would get the 202 every day of the week and twice on Sunday before the 64. But that's just me.

1 person likes this.
  19. pandaologist

pandaologist Well-Known Member

I'm after the Galway in 202. Want to see if we can get some sort of GMTO?

20. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@pandaologist I really like the 202, but as I understood it would cost 1,080 GBP with a MTO surcharge ..

We can purchase the Galway right away on 64 last for a 670 GBP ..

I'm just not sure whether or not I really want the 202 last for 400 GBP / 700 USD more ..