Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

^If they're almond country calf, then I have that model on the 64.

From that pic, they definitely don't look like veldts. Although the boots in the pic below aren't EG the contrasting stitching is useful for showing clearly where the upper has actually been flanged outwards and stitched directly to the midsole, which doesn't appear to be the case with the pair you posted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice, I think you made an excellent choice.

Welcome to the club, it's about time.

Where did you get them from?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Most definitely... I figure that now I'm in MI I should rough it more lol
    That's right, Balla!
    I see what you're saying. Okay, maybe not veldts then.:embar: No ankle deep waters...
    Thanks! Had an acquaintance across the pond who was was kind enough procure it for me from EG.

4. Burton

Burton Senior member

I also love this shoe. If we can get enough for a group by I am in.

5. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

^ No question it's a beautiful makeup. However, I always question the versatility of a light brown balmoral, as it's a casual color with a formal structure, and thus isn't totally compatible with casual nor formal attire. But it does look great in photos...

6. S K M

S K M Senior member

Sounds awesome. Should you change your mind about that, though, I think I'll try to whip up some interest for a GMTO through Skoak later this year for the Alderley in Edwardian with only i very little amount of antiquing – so they can develop the patina naturally [​IMG]

7. S K M

S K M Senior member

Good point. However, I think they will work out great as boots to be worn casually with denim, chinos etc. Btw, would love to see a mini (nano?) shoe circle of those three shades [​IMG]

Cheers,
    SKM

8. S K M

S K M Senior member

if you decide not to, and if they're 9.5, you should sell them to me [​IMG] In other words, I think they look mighty fine, veldtschoen or not! Almond country calf?

9. JulianL

JulianL Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any advice on heel slippage? I've seen it mentioned by a few people here.

I have my first pair of EG Top Drawer in 6.5D on the 888 last and I'm getting quite a lot of heel slippage, particularly on my left foot. I can't go any narrower because I'm only just getting away with the narrower D width on my forefoot as it is, a C width would be unwearable. Wearing thicker socks also isn't really a solution for the same reason.

In fairness it's not a problem that's specific to EG, I have some degree of heel slip on all my shoes except for a single pair of bespoke Cleverleys and it is always worst on my left foot. I think it's a combination of narrow heels and a very low instep. I've tried addressing the low instep issue by putting about a 1/8" heel lift into my left shoe and also experimented with padding stuck on the underside of the tongue beneath the lacing point, both aimed at trying to get more bite down on my foot at the lacing point to hold the heel more firmly in place; neither experiment has been particularly successful. (Both these experiments were done by me cutting up bits of after-market foam insoles and putting them in the shoe rather than adjustments made by EG during manufacture.)

I'm hoping that more break-in might give more flex on the soles and reduce the tendency of the heel to want to move away from my foot as I walk and another solution might be heel grips of the type found on Amazon (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/eCobbler-Heels-Grips-Black-Beige/dp/B007SS6QBY/) but it seems such a shame to be sticking cheap aftermarket stuff like the heel grips into beautiful new shoes.

I'll be doing this myself but has anyone else discussed heel slippage with EG or an agent and had any useful suggestions? Are EG able or willing to make any adjustments during MTO manufacturing (e.g. an extra thickness of lining at the heel) to address the issue? I intend to specify Top Drawer for future purchases since I love the slightly tighter waist that they have; I'm not sure whether EG might be more willing to do something for a TD order, if indeed it is possible to do anything.

I'd really like to fix this problem since even Top Drawer are less than half the price of bespoke and, apart from the heel slippage and the slightly more squared-off heel vs bespoke, EG TD gives me everything I want from a shoe and I love the 888 last.

- Julian

10. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

Went in to Jermyn Street yesterday and they still have some great shoes on sale if you're in the area. Only really looked at the 9.5-10's but the pick of the bunch was a pair of Alderley's in burgundy cordovan. They also had a couple of pairs of Galways in Dark Oak (1 with country calf and the other with suede), another pair of Alderley's in black country calf (I think). Almost walked out with a pair of Ectons in cloud antique but managed to restrain myself.

11. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

- veldtschoen or not!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  12. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Looks like they re stock every few days! I was there last week and saw no boots in larger sizes!

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I totally agree.

14. laufer

laufer Senior member

Here you go it's only a swatch but it may help. From top to bottom
    Almond
    Rosewood
    Mahogany
    Walnut
    Black

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  15. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

^Useful to see them all together. Worth noting that in my experience, the walnut country calf is a lot darker but the almond and rosewood shades are accurate.