1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

I do them through Leffot. Definitely not the cheapest, but great customer service and they have been willing to handle all issues with my shoes (e.g., repairs) - even the shoes that I didn't buy through them. I've been a customer since they opened.

2. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I order through LeatherSoul, Tom and Will are great to deal with.

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

4. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

^ So true! I enjoy the conservative and classic look of one continuos color/material on this type of boot. Well done.

I am curious about the types of leather dressing people opt for on a dress boot like this, or a country boot in country calf. Please advise. Thanks.

5. Renton

Renton Senior member

Just heard back from Skoaktiebolaget, EG is out of Heather Gorse and there are no concrete plans for a restock. It's back to the drawing board for my dover mto.

6. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

In some older Edward Green catalogs, for example, the Galway comes in two country style versions:

(1) "Country" version in Rosewood Antique
    (2) "Highlander" version in Heather Gorse

Aside from leather type, other details appear to be the very similar: Veldtschoen construction, four speed hooks, Medway or Ridgeway sole, waxed laces.

The same style treatment was also given to the Dover:

(1) "Country" version in Almond Country Calf - double leather sole, 202
    (2) "Highlander" version in Heather Gorse, 505, ridgeway sole

Can't Country Calf be substituted for Heather Gorse, if the factory is out of Heather Gorse? Is the Heather Gorse any more waterproof than Country Calf? Is it reasonable to assume some winter/waterproof dressing could make the Country Calf more impervious to water than it is out of the factory?

Cheers.

7. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Nope, those are just a pair of Tricker's 'Regent' captoes made by Tricker's on the 4537 last.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Greetings all - just a few pics of a new arrival. A while back the good people at Skoak had a pair of EG Westminsters on sale, in my size in my size. And as I've long been a fan of double monks in general, and this rendition in particular, I was very tempted. Only problem: they were in Maple.

[​IMG]

No offense to fans of this shade, but it was a case of "like" at best for me, and at this price point I have got to feel much love to make a purchase. Coincidentally, I had just read a blog post on TheShoeSnobBlog about the custom patina work of Alexander Nurulaeff ( http://www.dandyshoecare.it/ ) and inquired as to whether the good people at Skoak would assist in sending the shoes out (and receiving them back) on my behalf.

Having given Mr. Nurulaeff a very general idea of what I had in mind, I simply let him do what he thought looked best. I have the shoes in hand now - and while I appreciate this won't be to everyone's taste (what is? I absolutely love them. My thanks to Alexander and to Skoaktiebolaget!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    4 people like this.
  9. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Saw the video but your pics show the shoes better. They are amazing. Do you know if he uses dye or cream only?

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

RogerP, great look and a nice change from maple. I assume he used dye and not just polish to get that look? It's like a bolder museum calf effect!

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Much better, great looking shoes Roger.

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

He does such wonderful work!

How long was the turn around from them being sent and you getting them back?

I definitely have a few old pairs of shoes lying around that could use some new vibrancy.

13. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I absolutely love the shoes Roger, I would love to have a pair in that patina! did the gentlemen learn the trick from Berluti ? Because the close to one of my Berluti shoes.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Roger P, those are great, simply amazing at how they were "remastered". Skoak is a class act for acting as the facilitator. I have a pair of rider shell walnut boots I want to get antiqued. May I ask how much the remastering set you back?

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Amazing. Those are not for everyone, for every shoe, or for every occasion -- but I think they are absolutely beautiful. I saw these when the video was posted and immediately thought of Berluti. But I'm not a huge fan of Berluti's styles, so this seems the best of both worlds.

16. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Thank you, gents.

17. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I got a quote from him just after Christmas @ 100 gbp for boot work

18. steveabdn

steveabdn Senior member

Roger these look fantastic! I had a look on his website after watching the video here and I have a pair of shoes I think this may well happen to!!

Just a cool thought, no idea if it's possible but I wonder if he could customise shoe trees to match the patina work?

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

wonderful

20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

~~Quote: Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post wonderful

Thanks very much gents!

Frank - I'm not sure about the specifics of the products or the process.

DpprDr - yes - museum calf with attitude is what came to mind for me when I saw them. They also nicely split the diference between brown and gold museum in tone.

PCK1 - turnaround time depends on his backlog at the time you make the request - which for me was 5 weeks. It ended up getting pushed back a couple weeks due to the Christmas holidays and our respective travel plans - we agreed to kick it into the new year.

NAMOR - these were 90 Euro plus shipping.

steveabdn - interesting - I know Skoak has some unstained lightweight travel trees - matching stain to patina would be very cool.