1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

Potentially interested based upon finalized/chosen colors and other details.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. S K M

S K M Senior member

That's great, please PM me so I won't forget you once we have settled on the details of the boot. As of now six members have shown interest, so I think it looks very promising for the project.

3. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Gentlemen,
    Does anyone prefer an all heather gorse (zug) Galway boot for a potential group MTO? I am contemplating something possibly more like the classic (without suede). Otherwise, it could be the same: 64 last, ridgeway sole, possible shearling lined shaft, likely E fitting. What do interested parties think? Please advise and PM, if you think these details attractive and suitable. Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

AFAIK, Zug was Scottish tannery W & J Martin's trademark. Just like Nettleton's trademark Loafer, it is now a generic name.
    http://www.trademarkia.com/zug-wj-martin-72285033.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

England tannery William Paul also made scotch grain leather and named it Beva.

Here is a recipe for Zug and Beva.

2 people like this.
  5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Love the concept, but I'm afraid I have different preferences for a number of details. 1) prefer double dainite soles 2) prefer 82 last in an E width (though I wouldn't rule out another last if I could arrive at a point of reasonable reassurance as to likely fit. I know a 9E 82 will work 100%). 3) any lind of shearling lining is a deal-breaker. I have very warm feet. ;-) Also - is this something you are contemplating running on your own, or through a vendor?

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

VegTan - I look forward to reading through that info you have helpfully prpvided.

7. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Seconded. Incredible collection of info in that post.

@VegTan, I have a pair of boots made of Beva leather in the same pattern as that pair pictured. Mine carry the CC41 utility stamp so can be dated to around 1941 to 1948 which is when, I think, they dropped using the stamp on clothing.

If anything, the Beva leather (pronounced, presumably, 'beaver' due to the animal appearing on the Beva-branded pull tabs) is even thicker than zug.

8. S K M

S K M Senior member

Not sure yet, but possibly through Skoak once we have sorted all the details out. Btw, EG will only do Veldtschoen on the 64 last, so that leaves no room to discuss the last if it's going to be Veldtschoen – and it is [​IMG]

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Skoak would definitely work for me. Understood re. last. Keep me posted.

10. laufer

laufer Senior member

A
    I would be interested in all leather makeup. Also if we go with suede option I am not interested in anything exotic such as blue or red suede.

11. S K M

S K M Senior member

Agreed. I think some shade of brown would be most suitable and add a distinct touch to a rough out country boot without looking out of place. But what shade to choose is quite another question, and I hope to have some swatches sent over so the choice will be easier. I reckon the heather gorse is quite a special colour, so I thinks it's crucial to choose the right shade of suede if it shall work out...

12. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I just started a project to photograph and upload the current EG swatch books. Most are done but I need to get my web guy to make a good table for them, this might take a while.

Just PM me if there are any special types of leathers you are interested in. I just spotted some really nice reindeer swatches by the way.

13. S K M

S K M Senior member

Awesome job, PM sent! Cheers!

14. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Got my Galway MTO today. Dark Oak, last 82, double dainite. They are awesome :)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ fantastic frank. Dark oak is a winner

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Terrific boots - congrats!

17. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Who do you guys go thru for MTO orders?

18. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Got my Galway MTO today. Dark Oak, last 82, double dainite. They are awesome :)

Beautiful boots Frank, congratulations.

19. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Agreed, great boots Frank! I especially like seeing these made up in one colour only, I think many times people have a tendency to go a bit too crazy mixing suede and leather. A boot in all Dark Oak is timeless and classic!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014