• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think ive seen a thread like that on SF but i dont remember being impressed. id like for a "well-worn shooz thread $500+ retail". if i want to see a pair of used flosheim i can see one anytime on ebay

The problem is there are shoes that look amazing after being well worn and there are some shoes that should be used when doing construction/gardening that some would want to post.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
I think ive seen a thread like that on SF but i dont remember being impressed. id like for a "well-worn shooz thread $500+ retail". if i want to see a pair of used flosheim i can see one anytime on ebay

I wouldn't have an arbitrary value associated with it, as a well-worn and well-cared for pair of Loakes or Barkers will look a lot better than many a pair of EGs that have only ever walked the house-car-office-car-house route.

I'm convinced that some of the WAYWT shoe pics are posed and then the shoes are carefully returned to their box till the next photo opportunity, anyway!

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn Brummie, you got me there mate ;)

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the only pic is have on the burgundy Shannon shortly after they had been worn a few times and they don't look much if any different now...

EGs do seem to hold up rather well. Here's a brief history in photos of a pair of Berkeley's

New:

During their regular rotation:

Now (after a resole courtesy of EGs referb. service):

jjl, nice to see you posting!

Any new Adelaides to share with us?

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't have an arbitrary value associated with it, as a well-worn and well-cared for pair of Loakes or Barkers will look a lot better than many a pair of EGs that have only ever walked the house-car-office-car-house route.

I'm convinced that some of the WAYWT shoe pics are posed and then the shoes are carefully returned to their box till the next photo opportunity, anyway!

higher cost, non-designer shoes made from higher quality leathers, better craftsmanship, etc, age better. $500 might be too high a threshold but i want to see an old shoe worth of a recraft, with years of polish and wax. a subpar shoe just wont age well. I guess anything sf approved would work i think

jjl5000

Reaction score

[/SPOILER]

jjl, nice to see posting!

Any new Adelaides to share with us?

Thanks Wes. I've still been reading the forums from time to time and I've picked up a few new additions along the way but haven't gotten around to posting them.

No new EG adelaides but I did pick up an AS Moore in black calf and I have a navy Meermin adelaide on order (see the Meermin thread for more info).

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="laufer"
Brax, that Dover looks great if I may ask what color and last is it?[/quote]

It is chestnut

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well my first purchase is one that I am selling now. Shortly after I bought Inverness and Galway.

Brax, that Dover looks great if I may ask what color and last is it?

Sorry for the double post but I forgot to answer the second part of the question. It is on the 202.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some great classics! Is the Galway the same combo as my Shannon II (bauxite or a similar variant in scotch grain) & coffee suede? Looks fantastic regardless :slayer:
:cheers:

No, my Gallaways are in a rosewood/tobacco-suede combination.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
higher cost, non-designer shoes made from higher quality leathers, better craftsmanship, etc, age better. $500 might be too high a threshold but i want to see an old shoe worth of a recraft, with years of polish and wax. a subpar shoe just wont age well. I guess anything sf approved would work i think
Yeah. the materials used in higher-end footwear have the potential to age well, but if the shoes and boots aren't getting the wear and follow-up care then they might as well just stay in their boxes as very expensive masturbatory gewgaws to be paraded online for e-adoration and **** all else.

You're right that some kind of control would be needed to stop utter dross from being posted left, right and centre...just need to try and avoid anything too arbitrary like a price tag; SF is too obsessed with cost (and any associated discounts) to the point of vulgarity at the best of times.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely hard to gauge the amount of use since I could go through oak bark soles in about a year and a half in a pair of shoes that I wear once every couple of weeks just due to my mileage per wear. Subjectively, my calf uppers goes as follows: EG, G&G > AS, C&J HG > Carmina, C&J ML.

Woohoo MI! Unfortunately most of my shoes are in storage until my fiance and I finalize a place to stay but hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be back here more often.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general Dppr, agreed.

No two pairs of shoes are the same however; the leather of my 2009 galways is much better than that of my 2013 pair. Then again, a mate of mine has a pair of CJ benchgrades of which the upper leather is about as good as it gets. Just saying that classification of shoemakers' quality isn't an exact science.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads