Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I think ive seen a thread like that on SF but i dont remember being impressed. id like for a "well-worn shooz thread $500+ retail". if i want to see a pair of used flosheim i can see one anytime on ebay

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

The problem is there are shoes that look amazing after being well worn and there are some shoes that should be used when doing construction/gardening that some would want to post.

3. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I wouldn't have an arbitrary value associated with it, as a well-worn and well-cared for pair of Loakes or Barkers will look a lot better than many a pair of EGs that have only ever walked the house-car-office-car-house route.

I'm convinced that some of the WAYWT shoe pics are posed and then the shoes are carefully returned to their box till the next photo opportunity, anyway!

4. Crat

Crat Senior member

Damn Brummie, you got me there mate ;)

5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

jjl, nice to see you posting!

Any new Adelaides to share with us?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

higher cost, non-designer shoes made from higher quality leathers, better craftsmanship, etc, age better. $500 might be too high a threshold but i want to see an old shoe worth of a recraft, with years of polish and wax. a subpar shoe just wont age well. I guess anything sf approved would work i think

7. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

Thanks Wes. I've still been reading the forums from time to time and I've picked up a few new additions along the way but haven't gotten around to posting them.

No new EG adelaides but I did pick up an AS Moore in black calf and I have a navy Meermin adelaide on order (see the Meermin thread for more info).

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

great shots of the Berkeley, there are plenty of brand new shoe photos from the manufacturers and retailers, a few worn shots are awesome.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

great boots.

10. brax

brax Senior member

[quote name="laufer"
    Brax, that Dover looks great if I may ask what color and last is it?[/quote]

It is chestnut

11. brax

brax Senior member

Sorry for the double post but I forgot to answer the second part of the question. It is on the 202.

12. brax

brax Senior member

No, my Gallaways are in a rosewood/tobacco-suede combination.

13. brax

brax Senior member

As usual, NAMOR is correct.

14. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Yeah. the materials used in higher-end footwear have the potential to age well, but if the shoes and boots aren't getting the wear and follow-up care then they might as well just stay in their boxes as very expensive masturbatory gewgaws to be paraded online for e-adoration and fuck all else.

You're right that some kind of control would be needed to stop utter dross from being posted left, right and centre...just need to try and avoid anything too arbitrary like a price tag; SF is too obsessed with cost (and any associated discounts) to the point of vulgarity at the best of times.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

It's definitely hard to gauge the amount of use since I could go through oak bark soles in about a year and a half in a pair of shoes that I wear once every couple of weeks just due to my mileage per wear. Subjectively, my calf uppers goes as follows: EG, G&G > AS, C&J HG > Carmina, C&J ML.

Woohoo MI! Unfortunately most of my shoes are in storage until my fiance and I finalize a place to stay but hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be back here more often.