• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Thanks my-man, same here. Funny thing is once I knew I was close to retirement I started listing a lot of stuff and originally listed the 202’s as the Doak 606’s just seemed classic, almost iconic and I knew it made no sense to keep both. After about a week I took down the listing for the 202’s as I simply liked them more. Could be due to the casual nature of my non-dressy style 9and having way too many dress shoes) but for me, I prefer the 202’s.
They do look great. Do you feel any significant difference in fit, 606 vs 202?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Significant? No. They both fit my feet just fine. 606 is more chiseled which gives it more of a dressy vibe. I like the more casual look of the 202. Nothing more than that.

shoefan57

Reaction score
My experience is that for me the 202 is way more comfortable than the 606 last which I find shorter in length and lower in instep ( too low for me but have my few on the 606 stretched). So it’s the 202 all the way for me. As ever YMMV

jazznpool

Reaction score
A short while ago I was fortunate enough to have a tour of the Edward Green workshop in Northampton, England while the entire team was working. The experience was educational and moving. The lady who led me though the workshop, Julie, has over 45 years experience in the footwear industry most of it hands on at Edward Green.

The workshop has excellent lighting, a good deal of it is skylight natural lighting. It was clear to me the EG team is comprised of skilled workers who are dedicated to achieve excellence. There are quality control checks thoughout the manufacturing process. I was able to examine several pair of shoes in the final reject rack--some of which will end up in the company store sold as seconds. There was one pair with a slight irregularity in the leather on the heel (which would not have been a great concern to me) it is pictured here. The shop foreman, Steven, said that there is very little tolerance for blemishes at EG.

At the conclusion of the workshop tour I ended up in the company store which is adminstered by a gentleman named Wayne. It was busy--there were 5-6 customers in the small store. This was just before noon on a Friday. The selection in my size UK8.5E was rather thin so I was not tempted to buy anything.

All in all visiting the EG workshop was an enriching experience I recommend for any fans of the brand. I want to thank Steve from Gentleman's Footwear in San Diego for contacting Hilary ahead of time to request a visit (much appreciated Hilary!). Hat's off to everyone involved at EG.

If you a fan of English made shoes and in the area, there is a well organized exhibit of Northampton shoemaking history at the local museum.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1912.jpeg
    IMG_1912.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 96

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am far from an expert on EG lasts but I’ve got two pair of Dovers, both roughly 5-6 years old. I decided to list one and ultimately decided to list the he Doak pair on 606 as I preferred these on 202…….

View attachment 2211667

Again, not knowing much about EG lasts I never found them to be odd or unusual.

Personally, I would keep both, both are nice and different enough to be used in different contexts.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doral9497