• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NY this week and went on a “loafer mission” today. Hit Carmina, Alden Madison, The Armoury, C&J and Leffot. Tried several models in each store.

And OF COURSE the best fitting loafer (by a good margin) was also the most expensive (by far). EG’s Harrow from Leffot.

Can’t complain though!

View attachment 2199387
Unlined?

barutanseijin

Reaction score
In NY this week and went on a “loafer mission” today. Hit Carmina, Alden Madison, The Armoury, C&J and Leffot. Tried several models in each store.

And OF COURSE the best fitting loafer (by a good margin) was also the most expensive (by far). EG’s Harrow from Leffot.

Can’t complain though!

View attachment 2199387

Great choice. My Harrows are my most comfortable loafers, too.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Hi Brains trust, can anyone tell me if there is any significance to the colour of the lining inside a pair of EG Galways? I've seen them with green and with brown and with red/pink. Is it just random or does it mean something?

Here's a red/pink version

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg

and these are green
14859925_1253569067997430_8842171163035173110_o.jpg

symphvaria

Reaction score

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can’t complain though!

Congrats, they look super nice! What size did you go with compared to your other EG of C&J shoes? Currently on the MTO fence about this exact model, the sizing is the only issue holding me back, so trying to gather as much intel as I can for me to calmly place my order.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Brains trust, can anyone tell me if there is any significance to the colour of the lining inside a pair of EG Galways? I've seen them with green and with brown and with red/pink. Is it just random or does it mean something?

Here's a red/pink version

View attachment 2199505 View attachment 2199507

and these are green
View attachment 2199509

The green linings are a MTO option that you can choose when ordering your shoe at a trunk show or a dealer.
When you go the MTO route, there is a booklet of a bunch of different colored linings and you can choose the color you like. Most default to the green

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you go the MTO route, there is a booklet of a bunch of different colored linings and you can choose the color you like. Most default to the green

Although I like some contrast lining, I would always opt for a natural leather one. It always looks good and is safer for the socks.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Congrats, they look super nice! What size did you go with compared to your other EG of C&J shoes? Currently on the MTO fence about this exact model, the sizing is the only issue holding me back, so trying to gather as much intel as I can for me to calmly place my order.
Thanks!

For reference, I'm a 9 Brannock, between D and E (US width).

The Harrow's are 8.5/9E (US/UK). It's my first pair of EG's but at Leffot I also tried the Picadilly (184 last) and two Dovers (in 202 and 606 lasts). I'm the same size in all of them. I was actually surprised how little EG's lasts vary compared to Alden.

The Harrows felt slightly wider than the Picadilly at the forefoot / ball area. The Picadilly's were a bit more snug at the ball and under the strap. The salesman (Benjamin, super nice guy) confirmed this is usually the case. The difference is subtle, certainly not enough to require a change in size (for instance, going down a width in the Harrow). And it didn't impact heel slip for me - both loafers had very little.

I'm also a 8.5E (UK sizing) in C&J Boston and Harvard. Compared to Harrow and Picadilly, I get a bit more heel slip with the C&J's. I believe EG's lasts just fit my foot shape better. But otherwise sizing is the same - 8.5 UK in C&J and EG's feel the same size for me.

Hope that helps! Let us know what you decide.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Each one has a different grade of tolerance: this would bother me, a loafer has to be just perfect, with no slippage at all for me.
True. Loafers are tricky. I absolutely hate the feeling of crammed toes, so I sacrifice a bit of heel slip for more toe freedom. The ideal loafer would offer good toe room and zero heel slip, but probably only bespoke would do that for me. EG's come close though.

With the EG's actually my heels never come off the shoes, they just move a few millimeters up and down inside them, and not on every step. I expect this to improve as the soles break in.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. Loafers are tricky. I absolutely hate the feeling of crammed toes, so I sacrifice a bit of heel slip for more toe freedom. The ideal loafer would offer good toe room and zero heel slip, but probably only bespoke would do that for me. EG's come close though.

With the EG's actually my heels never come off the shoes, they just move a few millimeters up and down inside them, and not on every step. I expect this to improve as the soles break in.
It should improve. If you want to speed the process, which I did with my newest pair. I hand flexed the sole a few times and it went away immediately

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

For reference, I'm a 9 Brannock, between D and E (US width).

The Harrow's are 8.5/9E (US/UK). It's my first pair of EG's but at Leffot I also tried the Picadilly (184 last) and two Dovers (in 202 and 606 lasts). I'm the same size in all of them. I was actually surprised how little EG's lasts vary compared to Alden.

The Harrows felt slightly wider than the Picadilly at the forefoot / ball area. The Picadilly's were a bit more snug at the ball and under the strap. The salesman (Benjamin, super nice guy) confirmed this is usually the case. The difference is subtle, certainly not enough to require a change in size (for instance, going down a width in the Harrow). And it didn't impact heel slip for me - both loafers had very little.

I'm also a 8.5E (UK sizing) in C&J Boston and Harvard. Compared to Harrow and Picadilly, I get a bit more heel slip with the C&J's. I believe EG's lasts just fit my foot shape better. But otherwise sizing is the same - 8.5 UK in C&J and EG's feel the same size for me.

Hope that helps! Let us know what you decide.

Great info, thanks a lot! Interesting info on the Harrow vs. Picadilly, will certainly consider that.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Although I like some contrast lining, I would always opt for a natural leather one. It always looks good and is safer for the socks.
The socks thing doesn’t really make sense in the end of the day since buying an unlined shoe like a pair of loafers or even the shaft of a boot like the Galways will bring them into contact with the dyed suede underside of the unlined leather anyways. People usually opt for the green lining on their boots as a souvenir for a MTO project, something special that you can’t get RTW.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvid2kkrr