• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galways are on the dressier side of casual for me, but not a dress boot. Not that anything turns on the label - it's a terrific boot. Love my pair.

Have no problems with my midnight blue / navy suede Galways - although I have yet to wear them with a suit.

'Dem speed hooks for the laces sometimes catch the inner hemming of me pants though! (Pardon the pirate-like language, hanging out with the kids all day)

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have no problems with my midnight blue / navy suede Galways - although I have yet to wear them with a suit.

'Dem speed hooks for the laces sometimes catch the inner hemming of me pants though! (Pardon the pirate-like language, hanging out with the kids all day)

I don't have problems with my dark oak / walnut country calf either. I just wouldn't likely pair them with a suit. Sport coat, yes. That's why I put them on the dressy end of casual, as opposed to seeing them as a pure dress boot. Two tones, two textures, plus derby closure take it out of the pure dress category in my estimation. But it also makes for a more versatile boot.

They are dressier than, say, my AE Bayfields - which go hiking, hunting and get muddy - but still short of what I see as a dress boot:

Even with the speed hooks, the Carminas below are what I think of as dress boot.

I don't claim to have ownership of the term, but I hope that explains where I'm coming from. Opinions may differ.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have problems with my dark oak / walnut country calf either.  I just wouldn't likely pair them with a suit.

Great with country (tweed) suit. Not so much with business suit.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'Dem speed hooks for the laces sometimes catch the inner hemming of me pants though! (Pardon the pirate-like language, hanging out with the kids all day
Like I said before, and I'll say it again.

Sure like that Blue on Blue.

Patek and EG, what a combo.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have no problems with my midnight blue / navy suede Galways - although I have yet to wear them with a suit. 'Dem speed hooks for the laces sometimes catch the inner hemming of me pants though! (Pardon the pirate-like language, hanging out with the kids all day
Like I said before, and I'll say it again. Sure like that Blue on Blue. Patek and EG, what a combo.
+1, PP and EF :slayer:

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Don't forget about olive!
nod[1].gif

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Galway heaven!

Will be waxing mine up very soon for the autumn, as soon as the one pair is back from the Shoe Healer having the heels sorted. All three pairs will be most definitely seeing the worst of the autumn and winter.

Almond country calf today, 64 e last, field boot model:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Galway heaven! Will be waxing mine up very soon for the autumn, as soon as the one pair is back from the Shoe Healer having the heels sorted. All three pairs will be most definitely seeing the worst of the autumn and winter. Almond country calf today, 64 e last, field boot model:
Beautiful boots, I have the same colour but on the 202 last, love them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads