• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
The Barksdale is basically a modified Winchelsea. This model was offered by RL off and on when they sold Edward Green shoes; it was most frequently available in Edwardian, as well as dark oak, black, and suede. The skin stitch is limited to the very tiptoe of the shoe vs the Winchelsea, which has a full skin stitch around the vamp, and the Winchelsea is a half strap. All of these variations on the theme are nice: Winchelsea, Sloane, Buxton, Harrow, etc. The 100 and 101 lasts are narrow. Enjoy your new shoes!
Thanks for the detailed history! Hearing that these lasts are narrow is music to my narrow, boney feet. How is the length of the 100 and 101? I'm a 10C(left)/9.5C(right) US, so sizing down to a 9.5D US is typically my best option with medium width shoes provided the toes have some elongation.

If these work out well, the Winchelsea in dark oak is my next pair, even it means going MTO. I love the piecrusting on the apron and heel counter. I feel like those details will patina even better with age. I would love a black pair of Pimlicos down the road for something a bit more formal.

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will be happy with the length. The tricky part with this style is the potential tightness across the full strap. They are cool!

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
You will be happy with the length. The tricky part with this style is the potential tightness across the full strap. They are cool!
b54397c6-fa3a-493e-8f56-a9d95eb9aab0_text.gif

Genuinely as a guy who has to tongue pad even narrow width shoes, that sounds like another serious positive for me.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Barksdale is basically a modified Winchelsea. This model was offered by RL off and on when they sold Edward Green shoes; it was most frequently available in Edwardian, as well as dark oak, black, and suede. The skin stitch is limited to the very tiptoe of the shoe vs the Winchelsea, which has a full skin stitch around the vamp, and the Winchelsea is a half strap. All of these variations on the theme are nice: Winchelsea, Sloane, Buxton, Harrow, etc. The 100 and 101 lasts are narrow. Enjoy your new shoes!

Very interesting, thanks a lot! However, from my google research this morning it seems that the Montpellier and the Barksdale are still the only full strap loafers? It's the full strap design I'm after, but a (full) split toe would be icing on the cake.

Interesting info on the snugness of 100 and 101. I recently read that they would be much more accommodating do wide feet with high instep than the 184 - but maybe that's not the case? I don't own any EG loafers yet, so I'm quite keen on getting the fit right, especially when going MTO and in crup.

Thanks a lot!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aubergine is British English for 'eggplant.' Shades of purple.
London grain is the stamping pattern on the leather.

Your boots look amazing and I'm jealous.

Appreciate both the compliment as well as the massively helpful info. Thanks.

The rare consecutive day EG post for me as it is a rainy day in Pittsburgh. Rain calls for my suede Harlow’s (on R1 I might add)………

image.jpg

image.jpg

I mentioned yesterday how I thought it would be tough getting booted from an office but I’ve never had an office with such a glorious view of the city. Not at all a difficult transition…….

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the wonderful advice of @mxgreen, these gorgeous NIB Edward Green for RLPL Barksdales are on their way to me:
s-l1600.jpg

At an absolute steal and with a full 30 day return policy.

just remember that the RL EG models are made to U.S. 'C' width (not an issue if you have narrower feet). I bought a pair of RLxEG a few months ago, and had to get them stretched by my cobbler.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
just remember that the RL EG models are made to U.S. 'C' width (not an issue if you have narrower feet). I bought a pair of RLxEG a few months ago, and had to get them stretched by my cobbler.
Thanks for the heads-up, the seller told me the opposite that these are marked US D as in medium width. I specifically asked if the D was UK D (US C as you mention) or US D (ie. UK E width) since I know there was some confusion back in this thread about this issue.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, the seller told me the opposite that these are marked US D as in medium width. I specifically asked if the D was UK D (US C as you mention) or US D (ie. UK E width) since I know there was some confusion back in this thread about this issue.

Yeah, it's a typical RL thing. Even their RL x Gaziano models were UK D/US C.

For their UK/European market, the shoes are standard UK E / US D.

barutanseijin

Reaction score

I would assume that they’re US C width. They have the typical UK/US dual size, last and width from EG on them.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a typical RL thing. Even their RL x Gaziano models were UK D/US C.

For their UK/European market, the shoes are standard UK E / US D.
EDIT: Also meant to quote @barutanseijin, but my phone doesn't like SF's advanced formatting options for some reason.

This just makes sad that RLPL no longer has EG and G&G make their shoes because not only have I always loved the models they made for them, but it sounds like their RTW offerings were the perfect fit for my feet!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just makes sad that RLPL no longer has EG and G&G make their shoes because not only have I always loved the models they made for them, but it sounds like their RTW offerings were the perfect fit for my feet!

EG still makes RL shoes:

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
EG still makes RL shoes:

Interesting, neither of those links work for me in Canada. The RL webstore only shows the lesser Italian made models for me.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
And pro tip: They frequently end up at outlets for a fraction of the price. I picked up the above double monks from the RL outlet for ~$500.
Great to know. Sadly, the Ralph Lauren Outlet here in Canada sucks and usually only has lower end items and Factory Store only garbage.

There used to a nice Ralph Lauren Outlet just over the border from me in Michigan. Any chance I might still find Barksdale or other 100/101 last loafers there? Or are they too old a model? I would love a pair in Dark Oak.

jazznpool

Reaction score
aubergine is British English for 'eggplant.' Shades of purple.
London grain is the stamping pattern on the leather.

Your boots look amazing and I'm jealous.
I was under the impression the texture of London grain was the natural outcome of the tanning process and dry tumbling, not embossing. Nevertheless I like the versatility that leather offers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 75 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 21 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads