Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I am surprised by the extent to which people are preferring Galways over Shannons. It seems like a very high ratio, maybe 5 or 10 to 1.

I think maybe 4 or 5 years ago it seemed like there was a preference for balmoral boots over open lacing.

I personally prefer the look of the Shannon, but have not been able to convince myself that I will have any practical use for a fancy boot.

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I choose the galways as they provide the greatest versatility. I tried to order the shannon as well but I was advised against them due to my high instep. :(

Also the Galway being rtw stock helps IMO.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

the Galway - particularly the dark oak, 82 last model - is a dressy boot, even by SF standards. When made on the 82 last, its sleeker than most AE and Aldens - staples of a conservative wardrobe. The dainite sole doesnt add any heft, nor does the tight EG flat welt. Open vs. closed lacing argument is a mute point in the work place, imo. Unless you work at SF inc.

The shannon boot is exceptionally dressy and is arguably overkill in just about any formal situation outside of a black tie (if you dare, what would Vox say [gasp]) or any other fashion forward gathering. Id wear the shannons with the sole purpose of turning some heads

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

good looking boots, wear in good health

6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I prefer Shannons because I don't own any balmoral boot at the moment, the most dressy boot I got is CJ Northcote which is suffice for all intent and purpose (it's not like you can tell it's open lace unless I pull my pants up).

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Shannon is much better company on nights out. :slayer:

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I'm not much of a fan of either one; however, I prefer the Galway over the Shannon, particularly if ithe Galway is in dark oak or in dark brown grain as pictured above by Quantimil.

9. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I like both boots and wear both, the Galway boots get more wear, the Galway originally being a hunting boot specially the one like Quantimil has is a very good example but the Galways that were made for [email protected] is probably the best example IMHO.

I can not wait to see the new collection of Shannon boots that will be out soon!

[​IMG]

10. Quantimil

Quantimil Well-Known Member

They look awesome, enjoy.

Personally I prefer the Galway due to the increased versatility. Easy to dress both up or down - would not wear with a suit, but equally nice with flannels or dark denim. I would feel overdressed wearing the Shannon anywhere aside from perhaps my own wedding, and I really don't like the look of visible eyelets on a balmoral. Not a bad looking boot per se, but the Galways are more "booty" for lack of a better word.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

11. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Would you wear the dark oak Galway's with a navy/mid-grey suit?

The Galways in dark oak are my grail shoes, but for the moment I have to invest in shoes that I can easily wear with suits (I'm changing to a job where I have to wear a suit every day).

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

You have other options as well, other configurations which would work better with navy/mid-grey suits.. You could get the midnight blue calf with navy suede or berry suede/midnight shade Galways.

13. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Bizarre point of view.

14. Noonan

Noonan Active Member

I have two pairs of Galways on 82 (Dark Oak/calf and Midnight Blue/suede) and they both work with a suit. I have a pair of Shannon MTOs on order. Can't wait. But my fave is a balmoral in blue from G&G that absolutely kicks ass.

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]