• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skell6009

Reaction score
Lots of EG do this.
Not enough glue holding the midsole/outsole together so it separate.
Maybe spring on outsole stitcher also not enough tension.
No matter,
the stitching still holding it together.
No need for resole.
That's good to hear. Should I still take it to a local cobbler to glue it back together? And should I apply something like Saphir sole guard to do something about the dried out edges?

shoefan57

Reaction score
It looks like there are two matters to discuss here. One has been well dealt with by Son of Saphir, namely the slight separation of the midsole and outer sole, and FWIW I agree with his contribution.
However I suspect your more immediate concern is the separating of the leather flap that covers the sole sticking. To be honest I have never seen a flap separate so much. it is a cosmetic matter, but I would take it to a competent cobbler, if you know one, to glue it back down or even back to EG. It is not a big job.

Skell6009

Reaction score
It looks like there are two matters to discuss here. One has been well dealt with by Son of Saphir, namely the slight separation of the midsole and outer sole, and FWIW I agree with his contribution.
However I suspect your more immediate concern is the separating of the leather flap that covers the sole sticking. To be honest I have never seen a flap separate so much. it is a cosmetic matter, but I would take it to a competent cobbler, if you know one, to glue it back down or even back to EG. It is not a big job.
Yes, the separated leather flap is my biggest concern. Even when I just brush my finger along the edges, it's so dried out that it feels like it will flake off like a freshly baked croissant if I used enough force. So simply walking with them makes me feel like it will flake off immediately.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are a bit of a holy grail find for me: finally a smart Edward Green shell cordovan pair. Last 82, Dainite-soles, dark brown with a heavy layer of burgundy polish.

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com2.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com3.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com4.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com5.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com6.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com7.jpg

Edward_Green_shell_cordovan_at_Keikari_dot_com8.jpg

downunderdoc

Reaction score
Can anyone provide advice on 184 sizing? I wear a UK 8E in 202 and 82 so ordered a pair of Piccadillys in the same size from MatchesFashion. I can't even get them on my foot - the instep is extremely low and I don't think the strap is helping anything. I know EG's loafer lasts aren't the most popular but is it worth going up in size or width to try to make it work? TIA

Last edited:

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Can anyone provide advice on 184 sizing? I wear a UK 8E in 202 and 82 so ordered a pair of Piccadillys in the same size from MatchesFashion. I can't even get them on my foot - the instep is extremely low and I don't think the strap is helping anything. I know EG's loafer lasts aren't the most popular but is it worth going up in size or width to try to make it work? TIA

I had exactly the same issue. I think the best way (if possible) is to try them personally in different sizes and widths.

I did blindly try to go with the same size but F width. They were still quite tight in instep area, but are better now, sometimes they fit like a glove, sometimes they are little tight, but this depends on the condition of my feet that particular day I guess. The strap is not helping at all as you mentioned. Still not the most comfortable shoe I have though and I am wondering if half size up with the same width would be better solution.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am far from an expert on EG sizing but like you, I went with 8E on my first Piccadilly's and like you, could hardly get them on. I didn't know about an F width at the time so I exchanged them for an 8.5E. They were much better but still a little snug. Recently I grabbed an unlined Piccadilly in 8.5E and they are an absolute perfect fit.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue. I think the best way (if possible) is to try them personally in different sizes and widths.

I did blindly try to go with the same size but F width. They were still quite tight in instep area, but are better now, sometimes they fit like a glove, sometimes they are little tight, but this depends on the condition of my feet that particular day I guess. The strap is not helping at all as you mentioned. Still not the most comfortable shoe I have though and I am wondering if half size up with the same width would be better solution.
I am far from an expert on EG sizing but like you, I went with 8E on my first Piccadilly's and like you, could hardly get them on. I didn't know about an F width at the time so I exchanged them for an 8.5E. They were much better but still a little snug. Recently I grabbed an unlined Piccadilly in 8.5E and they are an absolute perfect fit.

Thank you both for the advice - the consensus seems to be to try the 8.5E. Sadly I can't try them on in person but might order a pair and give them a go. The Hand has some great unlined army green Piccadillys...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice - the consensus seems to be to try the 8.5E. Sadly I can't try them on in person but might order a pair and give them a go. The Hand has some great unlined army green Piccadillys...

Happy to assist. Never heard of The Hand before grabbing my unlined Piccadilly's around a month ago. Dennis was just great to deal with. A first-class owner and store that I recommend highly.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
Happy to assist. Never heard of The Hand before grabbing my unlined Piccadilly's around a month ago. Dennis was just great to deal with. A first-class owner and store that I recommend highly.

Yep I've done a couple of MTOs through him and he's always been great 👍

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Here's what EG themselves write about the matter.
Lotsa nitpicking going on - for something that literally none would think of once the shoes are worn once.
View attachment 1833687
I indeed think that's nitpicking, but it's fair to ask the question, sure. At what point to we stop appreciating the feats of a natural material? And at what point does the feats of a natural material become a fault?

Higher end footwear like Edward Green, Saint Crispin's and others obviously needs to hold a higher standard than the typical work-wear boot, but the more calmed finishing of EG is what I appreciate the most. Much more so than the overly polished state of many others.

I actually just got into a conversation with a family member (who is in the leather industry) about leather blemishes.

Figured the points spoken about with him are relevant here. It was also from a conversation from the CJ thread where corrected leather was mentioned so you all would have already read this.

Blemishes caused by age (neck wrinkles, creases), scars (barbed wire, insect bites, dung marks, pitch forks), and "holes" (fire brand, surgeries, process during slaughter) are to be expected.

In fact, only 5-7% of all hides (on older animals) do not have damage of some sort. That low % is the leather used as aniline leather.

Calf leather, by comparison, provides a considerably higher percentage of aniline leather as the younger animal has a shorter life span.

Interestingly enough, regardless of the animal's age, skin damage is not always apparent in its raw state. They (tannery) only detect issues after the initial processing stages.

Anywho, I just bring that up to say that imperfect leather isn't the worse thing in the world. Those blemishes or imperfections come part and parcel from the animal's interactions with its environment. The "correcting" of the leather is just to satisfy us fussy folks that examine our shoe's leather far too critically.

Last edited:

Sutefan

Reaction score
I actually just got into a conversation with a family member (who is in the leather industry) about leather blemishes.

Figured the points spoken about with him are relevant here. It was also from a conversation from the CJ thread where corrected leather was mentioned so you all would have already read this.

Blemishes caused by age (neck wrinkles, creases), scars (barbed wire, insect bites, dung marks, pitch forks), and "holes" (fire brand, surgeries, process during slaughter) are to be expected.

In fact, only 5-7% of all hides (on older animals) do not have damage of some sort. That low % is the leather used as aniline leather.

Calf leather, by comparison, provides a considerably higher percentage of aniline as the younger animal has a shorter life span.

Interestingly enough, regardless of the animal's age, skin damage is not always apparent in its raw state. They (tannery) only detect issues after the initial processing stages.

Anywho, I just bring that up to say that imperfect leather isn't the worse thing in the world. Those blemishes or imperfections come part and parcel from the animal's interactions with its environment. The "correcting" of the leather is just to satisfy us fussy folks that examine our shoe's leather far too critically.
That's a fountain of knowledge you've got there!
With an important message too.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a fountain of knowledge you've got there!
With an important message too.

Does it matter to some? I promise you that someone's next EG purchase will still be scrutinized as hypercritically.

Curious if price, or the amount paid, causes such meticulous inspection. 🤔

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads