• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

acconrad

Reaction score
For someone new to EG looking at the Chelsea - what last would work best for me? For reference, the Carmina Simpson last is too narrow and dainty on my more broad build while something like the AE Park Avenue (D width) is too round and soft. Based on that - I would imagine the 888 is more like the Simpson and 202 like the AE so 82 would be a nice last for me?

shoefan57

Reaction score
I think either the 202 or 82. I am above average height and have a broad build and wear both. The 202 is actually more shaped than you’d think. The 82 is the elegant round toed last that EG offer - and the 915 but I’ve not tried that last.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
For someone new to EG looking at the Chelsea - what last would work best for me? For reference, the Carmina Simpson last is too narrow and dainty on my more broad build while something like the AE Park Avenue (D width) is too round and soft. Based on that - I would imagine the 888 is more like the Simpson and 202 like the AE so 82 would be a nice last for me?
I have the AE Park Avenues in D width. They might be slightly wide in the toe box, but the 82 last fits me fine in E width. I tried the Chelsea in 202, but prefer the 82. If I remember correctly, the 202 was too wide, but I also preferred the look of the 82.

acconrad

Reaction score
I think either the 202 or 82. I am above average height and have a broad build and wear both. The 202 is actually more shaped than you’d think. The 82 is the elegant round toed last that EG offer - and the 915 but I’ve not tried that last.
I thought they didn’t make the 915 for the Chelsea?

acconrad

Reaction score
I have the AE Park Avenues in D width. They might be slightly wide in the toe box, but the 82 last fits me fine in E width. I tried the Chelsea in 202, but prefer the 82. If I remember correctly, the 202 was too wide, but I also preferred the look of the 82.
If you wear D in AE do you need to go up to an E in EG? Also I would assume if I’m somewhere between 10.5 and 11 in AE I would be the 10.5-11 in EG?

Is there a reason EG does dual sizes on their shoes? I notice many pictures of them have the ranges on the insoles

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I think 888 is square toe version of 82, something like 606 is to 202. 202 is definitely more refined than AE Park Avenue. For more broad build I would go with 202.

te0o

Reaction score
where does the 915 compare against the other three in terms of design?
It's closest to the 82 but it's a bit more pointy, with a longer and lower toe box plus a more pronounced side wall. I think it's a great looking last, very well suited to a black cap-toe oxford shoe.

acconrad

Reaction score
It's closest to the 82 but it's a bit more pointy, with a longer and lower toe box plus a more pronounced side wall.
I feel like I saw somewhere (maybe Sartorial Talks or The Armoury) that with longer, lower toe boxes you want a longer shoe and narrower width (I.e., if you’re normally an 11D try a 12C)

te0o

Reaction score
I feel like I saw somewhere (maybe Sartorial Talks or The Armoury) that with longer, lower toe boxes you want a longer shoe and narrower width (I.e., if you’re normally an 11D try a 12C)
Go with the same size as your 82 here (at least that's what I've done and it works) - there shouldn't be enough difference to warrant a longer and narrower shoe.

te0o

Reaction score
Also, should be said that while 915 is comparatively more pointy and fashion-forward, it's still very much on the conservative side IMO. Here's a picture.

acconrad

Reaction score
Also, should be said that while 915 is comparatively more pointy and fashion-forward, it's still very much on the conservative side IMO. Here's a picture.
wow those still look very round so definitely the 82 or 915, not the 202. The mirror shine on your relast is beautiful

te0o

Reaction score
wow those still look very round so definitely the 82 or 915, not the 202. The mirror shine on your relast is beautiful
Go for the 82 - I certainly would if I could choose again. 915 is great but 82 is a classic, perfectly balanced last, very much EG in my mind. I say that, yet I don't own a pair on 82, but I think for your purposes it will look great.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ymodi58