• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you try EG as they sell via email and are cheaper at £72 (£60 ex-VAT)? Not sure how much they charge for shipping shoe trees though

FYI I don't believe EG makes real lasted trees anymore. When I ordered for JS, they said that they only have standard trees (basically on the 202), which they use for all. They fit on my 82/888/33 so it was fine for me. I also receive "888" trees from EoM recently and they were exactly the same as JS' standard trees.

bamboo

Reaction score
Quote:
I believe you are right. I once was told 82/888 and 202/606 are different, but I checked with all my EG trees and found out they are all the same if the size and width the same. I think they even do not make half size trees?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know where can I buy an EG shoe tree online for last 888?

Thanks.
Leffot sells or used to sell Edward Green shoe trees, however I don't see them listed right now. They sold them in two configurations one for 82\888 and one for 202/606. I ordered a pair of 202/606 shoe trees a couple of weeks ago and as it turns out these did not workout for my 89 last as I had hoped. I returned them and I am currently waiting on a pair of 82/888 shoe trees. When I spoke with them they said they received some, but have not yet received my size.

Long story short, you could always give them a call.

Last edited:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded re: my question for their preferred last on the Dover. Mink Suede Dover on 606, here I come!!

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leffot sell or used to sell Edward Green shoe trees, however I don't see them listed right now. They sold them in two configurations one for 82\888 and one for 202/606. I ordered a pair of 202/606 shoe trees a couple of weeks ago and as it turns out these did not workout for my 89 last as I had hoped. I returned them and I am
currently waiting on a pair of 82/888 shoe trees. When I spoke with them they said they received some, but have not yet received my size.

Long story short, you could always give
them a call.

FWIW, I purchased 202 trees a couple of weeks ago at leffot. Along with a sweet polishing mitt.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I purchased 202 trees a couple of weeks ago at leffot. Along with a sweet polishing mitt.

From my discussions with EG, since most of the current (if not all) lasts are based from the 202, I think the trees are made from the 202 template. These trees fit my 888/82 shoes fine. I'm curious if they have lasted ones for the 64 (e.g., Galway)

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my discussions with EG, since most of the current (if not all) lasts are based from the 202, I think the trees are made from the 202 template. These trees fit my 888/82 shoes fine. I'm curious if they have lasted ones for the 64 (e.g., Galway)
This could very well be, however when comparing the ones 202/606 I received from Leffot to the ones I have for my Galway 82 Last, the 202/606 were definitely wider.

azumi

Reaction score
Thank all of you kind guys about information about EG shoe tree, since I'm living in VN, I can't go to their store to ask, so I'll email EG people or Leffot about shoe tree for my new EG monk shoes.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All but one set of my EG trees are the same. For a set of MTO squared toed loafers (newlyn/Leffot), they came with an EG last that had a squared toe, to my surprise, that fits more snugly than any of the trees that came with my 888s.

So it seems that EG may have some level of diversity in their shoe tree lasts, but probably not much (not a tree for each last), and not much discipline in matching them up.

That said, none of these shoe trees are doing much/anything for your shoes at the toe, since there is a stiff toe box there. (Unless someone is crushing your toe boxes). And apart from the toe area, the shoes basically have the same shape (width aside), so I wouldn't worry at all about which EG shoe tree I was using.

Reaction score
Can you confirm if they are on a 'D' or 'E' last? Thanks!
You have room to pick up a pair in 6.5/7E don't you? Small shoes do have benefits! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes. Been trying to convince my fiance to have our honeymoon there...
laugh.gif

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
It will be a smaller miracle if I do manage to convince my wife to tag along for the day trip up there

JulianL

Reaction score

That said, none of these shoe trees are doing much/anything for your shoes at the toe, since there is a stiff toe box there. (Unless someone is crushing your toe boxes). And apart from the toe area, the shoes basically have the same shape (width aside), so I wouldn't worry at all about which EG shoe tree I was using.

I had the same discussion as DpprDr when I asked about lasted trees in the EG London store. The rationale that I was given for this is pretty much as archetypal_yuppie stated, that if the main body of the foot was similar there isn't much point in having different versions of the last for different toe boxes. I'm lucky that my preferred lasts are the 888 and 82 which are, as I understand it, directly derived from the 202 so the standard 202-based last should fit my shoes pretty well when I get them (5 months since order but there could still be another 5 months to wait).

Having said that, G&G offer individual last-specific trees at about the same price points as EG so it seems a shame that EG don't, if only to remove any nagging doubts in customers' minds. Does anyone know how the lasts are made? Are the blocks of wood cut on some fancy computer-controlled lathe using data generated by a laser scan of a production last? I find it hard to imagine that the shoe trees are carved by hand since that would seem to be too inaccurate and way too expensive.

- Julian

Chowkin

Reaction score
Having said that, G&G offer individual last-specific trees at about the same price points as EG so it seems a shame that EG don't, if only to remove any nagging doubts in customers' minds.

- Julian

G&G shoe trees are almost twice as expensive at £138.00 per pair vs Edward Green's £72

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics