• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Yep, that's what I thought given the lack of antiquing.

How does it compare in terms of hand and aesthetics to EG's country grain?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I thought given the lack of antiquing.

How does it compare in terms of hand and aesthetics to EG's country grain?
Not sure how @jischwar will answer this but I'll provide my impression (as I answered before haha).

The English grain has a medium firm hand feel. The grain is raised so it looks more rustic or country as its name. Somewhat glossy appearance.

The Zug is matte in appearance. Flatter grain so it looks more city, but I wouldn't call it dressy by any means. It is also heavier. You can feel the weight of the leather compared to the English grain.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never gained fat in my feet...
Have you ever seen an obese person's foot? Compared to say a very lean person?
From my own experience I can say that your feet do change noticably when gaining/loosing weight. I've lost 25 kilos myself (partly intended, partly corona related) and now lots of my shoes are too wide.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my own experience I can say that your feet do change noticably when gaining/loosing weight. I've lost 25 kilos myself (partly intended, partly corona related) and now lots of my shoes are too wide.
That's crazy. I never thought weight loss would effect the feet like that.

I mean, I have also not ever lost 25 kilograms. That's a lot of weight! I am sorry you were so sick. Hope you're feeling better.

Perhaps it's also because I have a fairly large bone structure and not especially fleshy feet, so even when I've lost say...30 pounds, my shoes have fit exactly as they always have.

DaAlSh

Reaction score
Did anyone have experience in the great 88 last?
Yes - I have half a dozen pairs of 88. I go up a half length and down a width (so from my ususal (UK) 7.5E to 8.0D). But I'd note these are old last sizes - my more recent EG (202) purchases have been too tight and I've had some problems breaking in my 7.5/E shoes, so this might have to be taken into account. Having said that, I think it's the nicest ofall the EG lasts if you can work out the sizing.

te0o

Reaction score
View attachment 1742648 View attachment 1742649

Crup Piccadilly. Almost too nice to wear.
The apron design and stitching looks a bit different from the calf version, doesn't it?

I've always wondered why they do a two-piece (?) design on the DOAK version:

1643029636182.png

I refer to that **** (hmm, apparently we can't say 'sl1t' anymore) that is visible. Clearly not present on the cordovan and I think on the suede versions as well.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
The apron design and stitching looks a bit different from the calf version, doesn't it?

View attachment 1742670

I refer to that **** (hmm, apparently we can't say 'sl1t' anymore) that is visible. Clearly not present on the cordovan and I think on the suede versions as well.
I think they only do it on the smooth calf version. Possibly to make it lay flatter?

The printed calf varieties and suede do not have the bisecting cut.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742670

The shell Duke has the same split rather than seamless design on the apron so I am not sure it's a material difference (even though it is a material difference in the construction - lol).

te0o

Reaction score
The shell Duke has the same split rather than seamless design on the apron so I am not sure it's a material difference (even though it is a material difference in the construction - lol).
I'll ask next time I go to the Jermyn St shop.

Need to finally order those DOAK Dovers.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members