• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you guys like the Ridgeway over the R2. They’re the same thickness where it matters, but the R2 is just a flatter surface and easier to walk on for longer distances. I welcome all thoughts on this.
I think the theory with a boot on the 72 last is that you'd be walking around in "the country" where the traction provided by a Ridgeway sole would be superior to that of the R2. It's all about what you intend to do with it though. If you just like the last over all others, but will be using it in a "non-country" way, then sure, the R2 should be great.

Soixante

Reaction score
I hear ya. I was thinking of a Galway on the casual 72 last, but with a more refined look. What about this:

- 72 last
- R2 (no storm welt)
- Edwardian antique calf OR camel suede.

Thoughts?
Too basic if I may be honest, but I have no aversion to this. So like Flat welt?

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too basic if I may be honest, but I have no aversion to this. So like Flat welt?
It is kind of basic. You’re right. It’s more of a “city-slicker” boot on a casual last. Flat welt would be my vote, but others may easily outvote me.

P.S.; The more I walk around on the Ridgeway sole, the more I like it.

Ken1036

Reaction score
I feel the ridgeway offers maaaybe a little better traction on rain/snowish walkways then the R2. I have no empirical data to back this up, just a feeling.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel the ridgeway offers maaaybe a little better traction on rain/snowish walkways then the R2. I have no empirical data to back this up, just a feeling.
I have used my R2 on snow and have not slipped. Having said that, it’s snowing today. I literally wore my Ridgeways to test them. I’ll report back.

Ken1036

Reaction score
Had anyone ever seen a DOAK Galway on a 72? Somehow I think it would be pretty sweet.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had anyone ever seen a DOAK Galway on a 72? Somehow I think it would be pretty sweet.
I don't own a Galway in Doak, but I do own several other shoes in that color. If you ask me, not that anyone is asking, dark oak is the quintessential EG color. That combination of color, style, and last sounds like a head turner. ???

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love ridgeway and would prefer it over R2 but it's not a deal-breaker and I know how tough it is trying to herd cattle. A stronger preference is for a flat welt though I don't know what Veldt looks like (any chance some kind member can post an image)? And I love the idea of camel suede but again, I don't want to complicate things.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like single leather galways but I may be in the minority?
True. They're nice. But: 1) I already have an all-DOAK Galway; and 2) the walnut country calf and mink suede are WAY more comfortable at the shaft, especially the mink suede. It's like wearing a second sock around your ankle to support the boot.

Ken1036

Reaction score
True. They're nice. But: 1) I already have an all-DOAK Galway; and 2) the walnut country calf and mink suede are WAY more comfortable at the shaft, especially the mink suede. It's like wearing a second sock around your ankle to support the boot.
Good point

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaeDurand