• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this sole on my Dovers and it's amazing indeed.
But don't you think you lose a bit of flexibility, breathability and suppleness compared to a leather sole?
For a boot or if it rains a lot, the tradeoff is obvious but for a summer or dress shoes, I think I still prefer a leather sole, don't you?
The R2 has a leather midsole so does provide stiffness. The R1 not as much but I’ve found no issues with too much flexibility or breathability.

I think the R1 looks better with loafers but with boots, the R2 is definitely the way to go.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this sole on my Dovers and it's amazing indeed.
But don't you think you lose a bit of flexibility, breathability and suppleness compared to a leather sole?
For a boot or if it rains a lot, the tradeoff is obvious but for a summer or dress shoes, I think I still prefer a leather sole, don't you?
You raise valid points, sir. I guess it’s more of a subjective point, but I find the R2 rubber sole to be more flexible and cushion-like than the HAF sole and the single leather sole. Not as breathable, sure. That doesn’t really bother me, though.

smuj

Reaction score
Compare to my 5-6 year old pair that I conditioned and cleaned regularly (with Lexol conditioner), but didn't use shoe trees and never used any wax polish ever.

I'd say using polish on these is the number one thing to keeping them looking "new" as you can see how much color fades in the wear points.

These are (as of this past weekend) no longer mine as I've moved them along in favor of a much needed sizing change (went from 10.5/11F64 to 11/11.5E64 and no matter what anyone says those sizes are lightyears different). Nothing wears in as well as a good pair of these boots, and looking forward to showing off how the new pair looks in 5-6 years.View attachment 1557721
These look phenom. Just perfect. Seriously considering a pair. I think the lightening on the wear points absolutely make the boot. The only thing I don't like is the burnishing EG do to the toe. If I would be seeking to lessen it or remove it (presume that can be done). Can I ask if these are the Country Grain Rosewoods that have lightened up?? Much prefer this colour to the new Rosewood.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look phenom. Just perfect. Seriously considering a pair. I think the lightening on the wear points absolutely make the boot. The only thing I don't like is the burnishing EG do to the toe. If I would be seeking to lessen it or remove it (presume that can be done). Can I ask if these are the Country Grain Rosewoods that have lightened up?? Much prefer this colour to the new Rosewood.
Those were rosewood country calf and they lightened up significantly. However they were not nearly as burnished as the pairs EG was producing about 2-3 years ago. A few years ago, Galways were super-duper burnished the way you describe, and I agree it was wayyyy too much. I've been in the process of getting a new pair from EG, and the new ones are back to normal light burnishing that adds rather than detracts.

I'm currently in the process of a return of a problem pair of these to EG. I had a new pair, great sizing, for about a month, and the welt on both boots has been coming apart. The welts became sponge-like and started separating severely and roughly from the midsole (on one pair you can see clear through to the stitching). Of course, EG (and Therake.com) customer support is fantastic, and they're arranging to take them back for a replacement pair. Hopefully the replacement pair is more perfect.

sforum1

Reaction score
Thank you. I will.

They fit me comfortably now, but I'd agree another width up would be ideal.
I'm only saying it because I used to wear the wrong size for years and I never realized or no one told me, and I see a similar pattern here. They need to fit more like this, and I'm confident you can achieve this with RTW, it's just a matter of experimenting with sizes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only saying it because I used to wear the wrong size for years and I never realized or no one told me, and I see a similar pattern here. They need to fit more like this, and I'm confident you can achieve this with RTW, it's just a matter with experimenting with sizes.

I absolutely greatly appreciate it.

The good thing is: they are not bowing out at the ankles. But I can definitely see my feet are pushing the leather out at the toes some.

sforum1

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing, I remember that I used to think that if I went with wide that the shoes would not look as sleek and beautiful anymore. That could not be further from the truth though. Wide is as sleek and sometimes even better-looking than a medium width.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy