• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very much appreciate the help as I can't get to Leffot easily and there's no NJ stores that carry them to try on.

I reworled the lacing on the inverness and took photis of the toe markings from trying them on.

I just tried the Harogates on again with thicker socks. Like, they're fitted but not too tight. Like ny left toe is grazing the toe box alittle but isn't tight or painful. My toes feel like they can't relax 100%, moreso at 90, so maybe it's a vertical issue. If the toebox was too small I'd imagine it would be painful instead of not 100% comfortable.

I actually only spent $360 on these so it's not like I spent $700+ luckily.

It mostly feels like too much volume on top of the shoe on the Inverness. My toe ends at the medallion swirl at the harrogate,
I think @jischwar is giving you the correct advice.

CWL317

Reaction score
I might try 82 next time. I have 202
I'm afraid I only have one pair of Edward Greens, so I can't compare them that much. As embarrassing as that is, when I went to get fitted before I purchased, they were like: oh, 82, that's what you want - your feet are just too wide for the other lasts.

So in that sense, I find them very comfortable!
Thanks - interesting to know. I have E-202 and it seems a bit tight in the toe box. I am waiting on a pair of F-202 which might suit my feet better, but if 82 is more accommodating then I think I’ll go for that next time.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - interesting to know. I have E-202 and it seems a bit tight in the toe box. I am waiting on a pair of F-202 which might suit my feet better, but if 82 is more accommodating then I think I’ll go for that next time.
The width of my feet is focused in the toe box. I have in some sense V shaped feet - my feet are widest at the toes, much narrower at the heels. My width requirement is near the toes as the most essential for me to feel I have a comfortable fit, as I do not like my toes cramped. As such, the 82 last twas recommended as it offered me that, and indeed, I felt no discomfort.

Amusingly, my shoes felt more cramped than the-in-store shoe when I purchased them and had to get them slightly stretched, which worked fine as EG's calfskin is beautiful and easy to stretch.

Nickd

Reaction score

82 is less accommodating in the toe box than 202.

The F width may be the solution - when going up a width fitting in EG you will gain at least as much width as you would going up a half size.

CWL317

Reaction score
The width of my feet is focused in the toe box. I have in some sense V shaped feet - my feet are widest at the toes, much narrower at the heels. My width requirement is near the toes as the most essential for me to feel I have a comfortable fit, as I do not like my toes cramped. As such, the 82 last twas recommended as it offered me that, and indeed, I felt no discomfort.

Amusingly, my shoes felt more cramped than the-in-store shoe when I purchased them and had to get them slightly stretched, which worked fine as EG's calfskin is beautiful and easy to stretch.
Same with me - the factory freshly made shoe is tighter than the in-store display shoe that I tried on in the same last and size. Is it because of the new leather being stiff and tight and they are compensating for natural stretch through normal wear, I wonder.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Same with me - the factory freshly made shoe is tighter than the in-store display shoe that I tried on in the same last and size. Is it because of the new leather being stiff and tight and they are compensating for natural stretch through normal wear, I wonder.
Highly doubt that they are making special shoes that are marginally larger just for in store.

Could have been that several customers have put their feet in. Also could have been the time of day and amount you walked before trying on the shoes.

There's also probably a little bit in terms of what leather they use and variance when they are lasting it.

Nickd

Reaction score
It’s almost certainly differences in materials and make. I’ve got several pairs on 202 and several pairs on 82 and they all fit very subtly differently. Even 2 pairs of the same model on the same last don’t fit exactly the same.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
R2 tapered rubber sole. The absolute best sole EG offers!
I have this sole on my Dovers and it's amazing indeed.
But don't you think you lose a bit of flexibility, breathability and suppleness compared to a leather sole?
For a boot or if it rains a lot, the tradeoff is obvious but for a summer or dress shoes, I think I still prefer a leather sole, don't you?

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I have this sole on my Dovers and it's amazing indeed.
But don't you think you lose a bit of flexibility, breathability and suppleness compared to a leather sole?
For a boot or if it rains a lot, the tradeoff is obvious but for a summer or dress shoes, I think I still prefer a leather sole, don't you?
In theory a rubber sole does mean less breathability, but how much difference does it make in practise when the rest of the shoe is leather? I have a pair of unlined suede Shanklins that I use quite a bit during summer and I can't really feel it being more sweaty compared to similar shoes with leather soles.

These days I tend to prefer rubber soles (of various thicknesses) for all my footwear except for nicer dress shoes (where leather simply looks better). Perhaps if I lived in a warmer city I would have more leather soles but in Stockholm a leather soled shoe is mostly restricted to summer and spring (not just because of the weather but because the city fills the pavement with gravel to reduce slippage which is not great for leather soles).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy