• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Thanks mate! As you said, embrace the age, and I might alternate Saphir Mahogany and Cognac.
As a caution. Cream does get stuck in the valleys of the grain. I have some in grey country calf and end up using black because the grey colour ends up in there and doesn't get brushed out easily even with a boar bristle brush.

Nickd

Reaction score
I use cognac on my Rosewood Galways, but it does darken them ever so slightly. Really brings out the reds though.

Alex B

Reaction score
I use cognac on my Rosewood Galways, but it does darken them ever so slightly. Really brings out the reds though.
How old are your dover? Can I see some photos, please? I really thought that Mahogany would darken them instead of Cognac.

Alex B

Reaction score
I literally just polished my Rosewood Galway last night using: https://www.purepolishproducts.com/collections/water-resistant/products/burgundy-water-resistant-cream-polish

It gave them more of a matte shine and very slightly more reddish hue (both effects I wanted) with the added benefit of water-resistance for my all-weather boots. Very happy with the results.
Burgundy? Interesting - can I also see some photos? I want to see what my dover would look when it gets older if I choose the same path you did.

Ken1036

Reaction score
Burgundy? Interesting - can I also see some photos? I want to see what my dover would look when it gets older if I choose the same path you did.
Here's contrast. The one on the left was polished last night with their burgundy polish (one coat), the one on the right is not polished yet (and has never been polished). You can see the one one the left has less of an "orange" look to it - it's a touch more red and also a touch darker overall. It's exactly what I was looking for. Hope this helps!

Attachments

Last edited:

Alex B

Reaction score
Here's contrast. The one on the left was polished last night with their burgundy polish (one coat), the one on the right is not polished yet (and has never been polished). You can see the one one the left has less of an "orange" look to it - it's a touch more red and also a touch darker overall. It's exactly what I was looking for. Hope this helps!
That looks a very antiquing effect. Awesome! 😍

Ken1036

Reaction score
That looks a very antiquing effect. Awesome! 😍
Thanks! The rosewoods may have a unique aging effect where they get lighter in color with time (more toward the yellow spectrum). I've looked at online photos of older rosewood EGs and that seems to be what I've seen. It could have something to do with the factory polish not adhering well to the leather and rubbing off in due time? I don't know. I'm still new to all this. This is my guess from observation of others' shoes. Others in this forum may have better knowledge of this. In these shoes, I personally am probably an outlier who wants to shape the coloring and shade as it ages as opposed to the many who want a natural patina to develop without interference. All food for thought!

Nickd

Reaction score
How old are your dover? Can I see some photos, please? I really thought that Mahogany would darken them instead of Cognac.
Galways rather than Dovers. About 5-6 years old and worn a lot. I can’t remember what colour I used on the toe and heel - either dark brown or burgundy, but the rest of the boot is all with cognac. They were a shade lighter than this beforehand.
0DECB2F1-EB42-4354-AED4-0E1CC9891FE8.jpeg

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd say this is a bit of highway robbery on the price. I can get my shoes resoled from Minas shoe repair in NYC for 125 dollars or thereabouts. 250 pounds is extensive + they charge you 80 GBP for shipping both ways? Get out of town.
There are almost always cheaper ways to get things done. I'd compare this to getting your car serviced at the dealership vs an independent shop, the dealership/OEM will always be more expensive. EG's refurbishment cost seems reasonable given the retail price of their shoes - its similar to Allen Edmonds as far as % of the original cost of the shoe. But there's the cost of international shipping, which can't really be avoided.

That being said, I don't take my cars to the dealership for service and haven't sent any EG's back to the original factory for service. I do plan on paying around the same as EG's resole price (minus shipping) to a local shoemaker who's main business is actually shoe repair. There's only two shops I would trust to work on my EG's within a 50 mile radius, which is another reason why I'm willing to pay more than average.

Alex B

Reaction score
Galways rather than Dovers. About 5-6 years old and worn a lot. I can’t remember what colour I used on the toe and heel - either dark brown or burgundy, but the rest of the boot is all with cognac. They were a shade lighter than this beforehand.View attachment 1557062
Honestly, they don't look that old. They look fairly new. Is this how awesome the leather of EG? They don't age at all. How often do you put cream polish on them? And how often do you put leather conditioner? Sorry for too many questions.

Nickd

Reaction score
Honestly, they don't look that old. They look fairly new. Is this how awesome the leather of EG? They don't age at all. How often do you put cream polish on them? And how often do you put leather conditioner? Sorry for too many questions.
No problem. I don’t put cream or conditioner on as often as I should to be honest, probably 2/3 times a year.

I think the secret to them still looking fairly new is that I always put shoe trees in after every wear, and I keep them in their box when not being worn.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compare to my 5-6 year old pair that I conditioned and cleaned regularly (with Lexol conditioner), but didn't use shoe trees and never used any wax polish ever.

I'd say using polish on these is the number one thing to keeping them looking "new" as you can see how much color fades in the wear points.

These are (as of this past weekend) no longer mine as I've moved them along in favor of a much needed sizing change (went from 10.5/11F64 to 11/11.5E64 and no matter what anyone says those sizes are lightyears different). Nothing wears in as well as a good pair of these boots, and looking forward to showing off how the new pair looks in 5-6 years.
download.jpg

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compare to my 5-6 year old pair that I conditioned and cleaned regularly (with Lexol conditioner), but didn't use shoe trees and never used any wax polish ever.

I'd say using polish on these is the number one thing to keeping them looking "new" as you can see how much color fades in the wear points.

These are (as of this past weekend) no longer mine as I've moved them along in favor of a much needed sizing change (went from 10.5/11F64 to 11/11.5E64 and no matter what anyone says those sizes are lightyears different). Nothing wears in as well as a good pair of these boots, and looking forward to showing off how the new pair looks in 5-6 years.View attachment 1557721
I think the color variation looks great. Depends what one is after aesthetically, I suppose.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the color variation looks great. Depends what one is after aesthetically, I suppose.
Oh for sure. I can see both philosophies on these. On the one hand they are $1450 boots (I bought them through therake.com if anyone is trying to get that price) and a certain amount of value/care is totally appropriate.

On the other hand (and my preference) they get *gorgeous* with wear and I, like so many people, bought this model because of that amazing Westley Richards picture of how great these look really worn in. And they are amazing, rugged boots that are designed and built for heavy wear.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.