• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I believe he is, though I can’t say I’ve been back to the store recently.
Ah. Is Sasha, of whom i never warmed up to, still running things up there?
He is not. Tom is now. I've always found Tom to be much more personable. My personal rule is that if it's less than 10 percent cheaper I'll go local since often times that just GST and I don't mind supporting local business. But when it crosses over 20 percent for the exact same product I'm going to go with the cheaper option.

Scuppers

Reaction score
He is not. Tom is now. I've always found Tom to be much more personable. My personal rule is that if it's less than 10 percent cheaper I'll go local since often times that just GST and I don't mind supporting local business. But when it crosses over 20 percent for the exact same product I'm going to go with the cheaper option.
Furniture Tom (from Melbourne), or the young blonde thing whom I forget if he is a Tom?

Scuppers

Reaction score
@JustPullHarder did you attend the December MTO event?
I missed it. Was wondering if they offered any interesting styles (well, displayed any interesting styles)?

CWL317

Reaction score
Is it usual for EG shoes to fit more tightly compared to other makers in the same size and fit?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Chelseas out for an inaugural walk around the block. These'll need time to break in. My heels always get irritated from new shoes.

Otherwise fit great now. Next up: a proper shine.

IMG_20210118_1730516.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it usual for EG shoes to fit more tightly compared to other makers in the same size and fit?
I was told by they are known to fit snugly around the foot as they are more closely oriented towards the foot's shape than most other RTW brands.

I would not say they fit tighter, though, because I strangely wear an 11.5/12 e (standard British) width on my chelseas on the 82 last, where I would normally need an 11.5 EEE American in Allen Edmonds or Aldens, with some models occasionally at 11.5 E, and with many at 12 EEE.

I was actually shocked I could wear a standard width EG with no problem outside normal irritations from breaking a shoe in.

Nickd

Reaction score
In my experience, yes. I still wear the same size as I would in other brands, but they are a little more snug.

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My new pair of 7E EG in 202 is tight to shoehorn in and snug around the foot. I did try on in store and the sales guy there was of the view that 7E was right for me, rather than 7.5 which I had initially asked for. It does feel more tight and less comfortable around the forefoot, but I am hoping that as the leather naturally loosens with wear it will become just right, and that the snugness will mean less creasing around the vamp.

In contrast my new pair of Crocketts in 7E are comfortable out of the box, neither tight nor loose. Although older pairs of 7E have become looser to the point I can almost slip a finger behind the heel, so I am guessing whether EG’s fit more tightly to compensate for the leather loosening with wear...?

Nickd

Reaction score
I have EGs in 8 and 8.5, the pairs in an 8 tend to be a little uncomfortable when breaking in, but comfortable afterwards, the 8.5 were comfortable immediately but are noticeably a slightly looser fit, which is fine for boots, but I had to add an insole for my smaller foot on a pair of Oxfords.

I’m an 8 in C&J, no chance of an 8.5 being a good fit.

It sounds like they will be ok in time, but be prepared for a little discomfort while breaking them in.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My new pair of 7E EG in 202 is tight to shoehorn in and snug around the foot. I did try on in store and the sales guy there was of the view that 7E was right for me, rather than 7.5 which I had initially asked for. It does feel more tight and less comfortable around the forefoot, but I am hoping that as the leather naturally loosens with wear it will become just right, and that the snugness will mean less creasing around the vamp.

In contrast my new pair of Crocketts in 7E are comfortable out of the box, neither tight nor loose. Although older pairs of 7E have become looser to the point I can almost slip a finger behind the heel, so I am guessing whether EG’s fit more tightly to compensate for the leather loosening with wear...?
Given how great the calf is on EG, you can get them stretched nicely without much problem. The leather is soft and supple. If you really feel uncomfortable, that might be the best approach.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I've been around these parts, but just got a brand new pair in today. The Rosewood Country Calf F64, from Westley Richards.

Attachments

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.