• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found a pair that I liked and could afford - new old stock with just a small mark on the heels. Didn't want to settle for another brand's version of the Galways as they just look better in terms of proportions, at least in my opinion.

They are my first EGs on the 82 last (my Inverness are on the 888) and feel incredibly comfortable. I'm very excited and put them on as soon as they arrived... 😊 Looking forward to wearing them!
Awesome score!

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This what retardation looks like!
The term "retardation" is derogatory to insensitive to those who suffer from mental challenges.

Nickd

Reaction score
We probably shouldn’t feed the troll. I couldn’t give a fuck what he thinks anyway.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We probably shouldn’t feed the troll. I couldn’t give a fuck what he thinks anyway.
You’re spot on, bro. I just wish Styleforum moderators gave a flying fuck and perma-banned chode goblins like this guy.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I have a question for all you EG/JL experts. I noticed that many of you buy captoes, loafers and standard oxfords; and while EG/JL are among the best RTW shoes in the world, its hard for average people to distinguish between EG/JL captoes, loafers and $100 Florsheim.

I understand that you don't buy shoes to impress people on the street, and that we appreciate EG/JL for their excellence, but shouldn't we buy footwear that can be distinguished from average shoes? When I spend $800 for a pair of shoes, I want them to stand out to some extent.

I mean no disrespect to anyone. I'm just curious what all of you think about this subject.

sforum1

Reaction score
I have a question for all you EG/JL experts. I noticed that many of you buy captoes, loafers and standard oxfords; and while EG/JL are among the best RTW shoes in the world, its hard for average people to distinguish between EG/JL captoes, loafers and $100 Florsheim.

I understand that you don't buy shoes to impress people on the street, and that we appreciate EG/JL for their excellence, but shouldn't we buy footwear that can be distinguished from average shoes? When I spend $800 for a pair of shoes, I want them to stand out to some extent.

I mean no disrespect to anyone. I'm just curious what all of you think about this subject.
With all due respect, even the most average person out there can tell that your G&G captoes are of a different breed than those Florsheims the next guy is wearing. I often get compliments from the last people you would expect they would care or know anything about shoes. And I’m talking about men. Women, as you know, are different and they can spot nice shoes from a mike. The one thing you might be right about is that they might have no clue that in fact those nice shoes you have on are not just better and more expensive but that they actually cost $1500. That, most people don’t know and they could have a heart attack if they found out and think that you are stupid, selfish and irresponsible. Never tell an ordinary person how much you paid for your shoes, especially as a man.

Last edited:

Jmr928

Reaction score

I prefer my shoes to not stand out.

Jmr928

Reaction score
That too. Even though, to most, they will. And that’s honestly the part that I hate.
I suppose there’s a difference in my mind in subtly standing out because it’s a well made shoe on a proportional last that has a good leather and is shined and “standing out” because it has some logo embossed on it that people would recognize as expensive, a really aggressive last or maybe a bold patina/exotic leather.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.