• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trial fitting my first pair of Galways. Perhaps just a hair snug just across the vamp but between sock adjustments, break-in, and the sole settling they will be perfect. As a general rule, what is the recommended method for polishing burnished dark oak like this? Just clear wax polish on the toes?

20200916_131221.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trial fitting my first pair of Galways. Perhaps just a hair snug just across the vamp but between sock adjustments, break-in, and the sole settling they will be perfect. As a general rule, what is the recommended method for polishing burnished dark oak like this? Just clear wax polish on the toes?

View attachment 1459680
I tend to just use clear. You can also touch it up with dark brown.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1459680
Use a neutral cream after you’ve broken th in. Work it into the leather and buff with a cloth or brush.

you can use color matched cream or polish for surface scratches.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use a neutral cream after you’ve broken th in. Work it into the leather and buff with a cloth or brush.

you can use color matched cream or polish for surface scratches.
Do I need to be concerned about stripping the burnishing with neutral polish? I've seen this happen before with other makers and I don't want to mess with the EGs burnishing. Obviously, this isn't necessary in the immediate future but figured it was best to check before playing.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I need to be concerned about stripping the burnishing with neutral polish? I've seen this happen before with other makers and I don't want to mess with the EGs burnishing. Obviously, this isn't necessary in the immediate future but figured it was best to check before playing.
If you over treat, yes. That’s why you should just let it break in. And I wouldn’t polish. Just use a cream and buff it. There will be some sloughing off of surface color but it shouldn’t affect the overall burnishing.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score

View attachment 1459680
Congrats! Excellent first pair, and classic combination of color and materials. I saw on Carmina thread you've also acquired a pair of Thorpe. The two ultimate boots IMHO.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not been my experience. My Westwood 's are probably my oldest current EG's (circa 2011) and I treat them exactly as @Phileas Fogg outlined.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Excellent first pair, and classic combination of color and materials. I saw on Carmina thread you've also acquired a pair of Thrope. The two ultimate boots IMHO.
Thanks! I did also buy a pair of Thorpes. Hopefully they aren't too tight.. should be here later this week.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I did also buy a pair of Thorpes. Hopefully they aren't too tight.. should be here later this week.
I find MH71 and 82 last to fit similarly with the MH71 being a hair tighter but not enough to change size. Assume the Thorpe's and Galway are same size?

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find MH71 and 82 last to fit similarly with the MH71 being a hair tighter but not enough to change size. Assume the Thorpe's and Galway are same size?
Yes, same size. The Galways actually fit pretty well. We'll see regarding the MH71. If they're narrower it might problematic but it will depend where, ie. more of a taper in the toe box will probably be fine but if they run narrower at the waist or ball it might be more of an issue.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, same size. The Galways actually fit pretty well. We'll see regarding the MH71. If they're narrower it might problematic but it will depend where, ie. more of a taper in the toe box will probably be fine but if they run narrower at the waist or ball it might be more of an issue.
I really think it should work for you then.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
MH71 last is slightly longer due to tapering at the toe. In my experience UK 8.5E MH71 = UK9 82 last (I sized up by 0.5 size due to narrow D width on this particular Galway)

CWL317

Reaction score
Hello 🙂
Is it worth buying EG shoe trees? Are they lasted or not? I’m awaiting an MTO in 202. If the trees are lasted for 202 then I might buy them, if not lasted then would C&J trees fit instead?

Scuppers

Reaction score
Hello 🙂
Is it worth buying EG shoe trees? Are they lasted or not? I’m awaiting an MTO in 202. If the trees are lasted for 202 then I might buy them, if not lasted then would C&J trees fit instead?
Though my EGs all have EG trees, my shoe shop has recommended C&J for EG shoes providing they are not F fitting.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.