• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jon 1981

Reaction score
Thanks. The 202 is my favourite last so it would be on that last. I just begrudge paying the MTO extra but I can see me wearing these 100 days a year for the next 15 years.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to do a double take as I'm so used to seeing you in boots?

I know.. but Dovers are close in the love they deserve :)

84A1F489-FDDB-4BBF-9B2D-56E72DFFEBC7.jpeg

big_sky_1830

Reaction score
Dark brown Utah and Rosewood CC are beautiful colors imo

I have Galways in both these leathers on the 82 last and love them both. I haven’t seen or worn Galways on other lasts but the 82 is in my opinion perfect. Still pretty rugged but refined enough that it turns heads and can be dressed up or down. Perfect for about town with a pair of jeans.

JASONBLOOD

Reaction score
I thought it might be nice to run a thread for Edward Green enthusiasts. I am particularly interested in where people go to buy EG shoes. Now, to be sure, there is no doubt a thriving MTO culture, but if you know your size and are just starting to build your collection , RTW is a more economical option. (And as an instant gratification buyer, there is no wait!) I am surprised how few options there appear to be for RTW sales. I thought we could all share what we have found, particularly with an eye to online sales. It would be great to do this with a range of brands.

Sky Valet in Washington DC. A nice selection of styles and a good price point at just under $1000. Have on line sales.

Suit Yourself (aka Fairfield Clothiers in CT.) Similar to above. A half dozen styles, just under $1000. A few styles in the shop that aren't online. Have on line sales.

Aside from the occasional sales, the above have been the best prices I have found for EG.

Leather Soul. Nice selection. Around $1100 ( don't know if that includes trees). They don't really push on line sales, so you have to contact them for size and availability. Tom is great to deal with.

Leffot. Similar to Leather Soul. Nice selection. Just recently developed an on line store so you can check for availability.

Stanley Korshak. a few styles available. On line sales.

Brooks Brothers. Have added a few styles to their catalog. On line sales.

There have been others that have come and gone. J. L. Powell had a nice collection, particularly of boots, but the fact that they ended up discounting them into the 600-700 dollar range suggests they weren't moving at the 1,300 they originally asked. They have not apparently restocked.

And to get the EG pron underway:

Falkirk Spectator

I have a lot of EG these came today and are superlative

Attachments

• 20200903_170757.jpg
    20200903_170757.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200903_173657.jpg
    20200903_173657.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 96

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Halifax boots in burgundy Utah, on the 202 last and Dainite soles. I've had them several years and they are comfortable and wear, well, just like Dovers only in a boot. So, is there any point in picking up a pair of Cranleighs...in burgundy Utah, on the 202 last, with Dainite soles? I keep looking at them on the EG website and one part of me goes "Ooooooo", and the more sensible part of me goes "those are exactly like your Halifaxes".

Help me out here!

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Halifax boots in burgundy Utah, on the 202 last and Dainite soles. I've had them several years and they are comfortable and wear, well, just like Dovers only in a boot. So, is there any point in picking up a pair of Cranleighs...in burgundy Utah, on the 202 last, with Dainite soles? I keep looking at them on the EG website and one part of me goes "Ooooooo", and the more sensible part of me goes "those are exactly like your Halifaxes".

Help me out here!

1599190590297.gif

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Help me out here!
If it were me, I'd probably get them in a different leather, but can definitely see a use case for both.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the day off today so decided to do a full cleaning on my Edward Green monks.

The shoes didn't look bad at all before, in fact I think they look amazing from distance but not so quite when I am closer.
Just doing it as a project to entertaining myself, and wanted to share the whole process here

Ken1036

Reaction score
Curious on people's opinions: Given EG boots like the Galway, Kentmere and Cranleigh, which utah leather looks best with denim - navy or dark brown? I'm stuck between the two.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy leather with denim? Assuming the denim too is some shade of blue, that’s a no go. I’d stick to brown.

This is regardless of the material or grain. I don’t think navy shoes would go with blue denim.

Ken1036

Reaction score
Thanks, I think you're right. I remember seeing a photo of what I thought was navy with denim and it looking good... but I think maybe it was black in hindsight.

patekman

Reaction score
I think that it depends on the shade of blue....light no...dark yes

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Contemplating a galway purchase and I am not able to get sized currently on the 82 last at present. Hoping one of you might be able to field a rather specific sizing compare. My only other EGs are a pair of shanklins on the 202 and are a 9.5/10e. I love them but also very cognizant of the fact that they are unlined and chukkas and therefore probably suboptimal for comparing fitment with other EG lasts. I find that they fit well - perhaps a hair loose at the ball/toe although that is in part because I try not to wear excessively bulky socks since I don't want to stretch them.

Generally, I tend to veer a bit wide at the outer midfoot and have a high instep. Asymmetrical lasts tend to work a little better for me. In carmina, I tend to stick with the wider lasts (detroit, soller, and oscar -- which is actually average width IMO). I also recently purchased a pair on simpson +1/2 size, per normal, and they seem to fit very well even though I've yet to wear them. I'm in the 10D/E brannock range.

Any advice would be very much welcomed and appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads