• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

djdanniedee

Reaction score

mina262

Reaction score
Hi guys. With 184 last, would vamp stretch over time? Just picked up a pair of Piccadillys. Fits a bit tight on one of my feet at the moment.

jischwar

Reaction score
Hi guys. With 184 last, would vamp stretch over time? Just picked up a pair of Piccadillys. Fits a bit tight on one of my feet at the moment.
I have a higher instep and had to get rid of two pairs due to it. They were both lined versions, so ymmv depending on how tight and whether they are lined or not.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
If anyone has EG Chelsea with rubber sole, would you mind to share how’s rubber sole feels? EG website describes as slim rubber sole, wondering whether it makes shoes little chunky compare to leather sole.

lazym

Reaction score
If anyone has EG Chelsea with rubber sole, would you mind to share how’s rubber sole feels? EG website describes as slim rubber sole, wondering whether it makes shoes little chunky compare to leather sole.
I have a pair of belgravia loafers with a rubber sole and don't really notice it, besides softer footfalls. If that makes sense.

BomTrady

Reaction score
These galways keep calling me. I’m a sucker for blue/navy with all clothing although not sure how versatile these will be. Anyone have them?
I have them. They are beautiful, but not very versatile. I don’t think of them as dressy because they are Utah all over and Utah doesn’t shine that well in my opinion. I have the brown suede on brown delapre and they seem much more versatile as the delapre leather shines well and easy and I feel they go with tailored clothing or weekend stuff, especially grey trousers - the color of most of my trousers.

Because I found the navy slightly limiting, I just got black (Utah on delapre) and feel like they are more versatile as you can dress them up or down and I have mostly grey odd trousers . Obviously, one man’s opinion.

jimney

Reaction score
Not what you asked, but I have the rubber sole on some Dovers and it’s super thin, durable, and comfortable. My favorite sole on any of my shoes and it lasts so well it’s unbelievable.

Iadbound

Reaction score
I have the Chelsea on the R-1. Unless you really look close, no can tell the difference. Very comfortable and easy to wear. Doesn’t feel clunky, obviously not exactly not leather in terms of feel.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for the R1

Have them on my unlined Duke’s. Great pairing. Love and wear them often.

Wouldn’t exactly call them ‘comfortable’ though, it is a 1/4” slab of rubber after all, but they’re not painful by any stretch. I do think the standard leather sole is slightly more comfortable by way of footbed settling over time...but at this point we’re delving into minutia.

George Red

Reaction score
+1 for the R1

Have them on my unlined Duke’s. Great pairing. Love and wear them often.

Wouldn’t exactly call them ‘comfortable’ though, it is a 1/4” slab of rubber after all, but they’re not painful by any stretch. I do think the standard leather sole is slightly more comfortable by way of footbed settling over time...but at this point we’re delving into minutia.
This comment is very interesting. Why don’t you think it’s comfortable? Not that it’s entirely comparable, but I own plenty of C&Js on their City Sole, a rubber sole made by Dainite that mirrors EGs R1 sole. It’s SUPER comfy. Is the R1 too thin, like, to the point where you can feet the ground?

George Red

Reaction score
EG loafers are perhaps the worst fitting loafers on the planet. LOW insteps, lots of heel slippage.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This comment is very interesting. Why don’t you think it’s comfortable? Not that it’s entirely comparable, but I own plenty of C&Js on their City Sole, a rubber sole made by Dainite that mirrors EGs R1 sole. It’s SUPER comfy. Is the R1 too thin, like, to the point where you can feet the ground?
That’s a fair question and to start my response I would preface that individual context plays a major role. For my experiences, outside of the office I’m a distance runner and spend a considerable about of time on feet. My feet are continually adapting to that stress stimuli and may be a bit ‘sensitive’ vs norm. I find that the cork footbed and leather sole to mold to my foot shape, offering more support, compared to the R1. I associate the perceived difference, based on my experiences, with the material in this case rubber vs. leather. Again, IMO, the differences are very marginal and would not deter my purchase on the basis of comfort alone.

smartbrother

Reaction score
I have a higher instep and had to get rid of two pairs due to it. They were both lined versions, so ymmv depending on how tight and whether they are lined or not.
Did you take your normal EG size?

George Red

Reaction score
That’s a fair question and to start my response I would preface that individual context plays a major role. For my experiences, outside of the office I’m a distance runner and spend a considerable about of time on feet. My feet are continually adapting to that stress stimuli and may be a bit ‘sensitive’ vs norm. I find that the cork footbed and leather sole to mold to my foot shape, offering more support, compared to the R1. I associate the perceived difference, based on my experiences, with the material in this case rubber vs. leather. Again, IMO, the differences are very marginal and would not deter my purchase on the basis of comfort alone.
Thank you. Totally understand your perspective.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.