1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. FinerThingsInLife

FinerThingsInLife Active Member

I shop at Degand too. Fantastic place and their EG selection is well curated, as is the rest of their amazing store. Did Christophe help you with the EG? (He's amazing BTW).....

Enjoy the shoes!

2. Thomson

Thomson Well-Known Member

Will do, thanks. I unfortunately can’t remember the name of the person who sold me the shoes as I have only been to Degand twice both times leaving the shop being a happy customer.

I like the 202 last and they have a nice selection in that last (bought some Chelseas as well). They also have a good mixture of more traditional shoes and shoes which are a little more flamboyant - I often find that shops generally tend to lean towards one end of the scale.

3. jfclarky

jfclarky Senior Member

These keep growing on me every time I wear them. Far and away the best impulse purchase I've made in a while.

4. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

5. merv49

merv49 Senior Member

6. walker

walker Member

jfyi @fracanzano - vass does this style very well. I'd say it is one of their signature styles after the budapester.

7. walker

walker Member

mimimi

8. walker

walker Member

sure it is, it is just not attractive to some incl. me. never got a reply on my enquiry, where the burnishing derives from or is it just a fashion statement?

not even @bengal-stripe could give a proper answer and/or just ignored my research, who knows?

9. walker

walker Member

hmmh, which subtle finesse are you referring to?

10. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

11. nishant

nishant Senior Member

I DONT FEED TROLLS

12. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The Alt Wien is certainly a signature item, but except for the F last, I don’t care for the proportions of it. Cap down near the point of the toe, the quarters too high. Leaves the vamp about the same length as the cap, which seems wrong. EG gets the proportions better. And in spite of everything else, Gaziano nails those proportions.

13. slt

slt Well-Known Member

A slightly better picture of the Coniston

con2.jpg

These chelseas on the 82 last I got BN on eBay for GBP 310 back in 2011.
    They were allegedly from an EG sample collection, and although they look somewhat like the Newmarket I've never seen another pair quite like them.

chel.jpg

lbl.jpg

14. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

15. walker

walker Member

well, each to his own, I suppose.

of course, there are probably nuances in the aesthetics. it is just a fact that the concept and aesthetics works for almost two centuries in favor of the feet from people from central and eastern europe. btw, the model is called "Wiener" and it is a reminiscence when both capitals of shoemaking where rivaling for the crown. it is a draw and both styles - the "Budapester", which needs to be on the Budapester last to be genuine and the "Wiener" have their fans around the globe.

tbh, I'm not aware what G&G did in this field, sorry.