• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

FinerThingsInLife

Reaction score
Glad you like them - very happy myself.

I bought them from Degand in Brussels. A fab store by the way with a very nice selection of shoes and an impressive clothing section in an old Brussels townhouse.

The EG website only has them in cordovan. The last is the 202.
I shop at Degand too. Fantastic place and their EG selection is well curated, as is the rest of their amazing store. Did Christophe help you with the EG? (He's amazing BTW).....

Enjoy the shoes!

Thomson

Reaction score
Will do, thanks. I unfortunately can’t remember the name of the person who sold me the shoes as I have only been to Degand twice both times leaving the shop being a happy customer.

I like the 202 last and they have a nice selection in that last (bought some Chelseas as well). They also have a good mixture of more traditional shoes and shoes which are a little more flamboyant - I often find that shops generally tend to lean towards one end of the scale.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

walker

Reaction score
jfyi @fracanzano - vass does this style very well. I'd say it is one of their signature styles after the budapester.

THIS is seriously the most beautiful pair of EGs I’ve seen on this thread. That is one classic, super-fine pair of shoes. First ones that have made me truly envious.

walker

Reaction score
I don’t know what that means. There is no extra patina . It’s standard burnishing done by EG.
sure it is, it is just not attractive to some incl. me. never got a reply on my enquiry, where the burnishing derives from or is it just a fashion statement?

not even @bengal-stripe could give a proper answer and/or just ignored my research, who knows?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jfyi @fracanzano - vass does this style very well. I'd say it is one of their signature styles after the budapester.
The Alt Wien is certainly a signature item, but except for the F last, I don’t care for the proportions of it. Cap down near the point of the toe, the quarters too high. Leaves the vamp about the same length as the cap, which seems wrong. EG gets the proportions better. And in spite of everything else, Gaziano nails those proportions.

slt

Reaction score
A slightly better picture of the Coniston

con2.jpg

These chelseas on the 82 last I got BN on eBay for GBP 310 back in 2011.
They were allegedly from an EG sample collection, and although they look somewhat like the Newmarket I've never seen another pair quite like them.

chel.jpg

lbl.jpg

walker

Reaction score
well, each to his own, I suppose.

of course, there are probably nuances in the aesthetics. it is just a fact that the concept and aesthetics works for almost two centuries in favor of the feet from people from central and eastern europe. btw, the model is called "Wiener" and it is a reminiscence when both capitals of shoemaking where rivaling for the crown. it is a draw and both styles - the "Budapester", which needs to be on the Budapester last to be genuine and the "Wiener" have their fans around the globe.

tbh, I'm not aware what G&G did in this field, sorry.

The Alt Wien is certainly a signature item, but except for the F last, I don’t care for the proportions of it. Cap down near the point of the toe, the quarters too high. Leaves the vamp about the same length as the cap, which seems wrong. EG gets the proportions better. And in spite of everything else, Gaziano nails those proportions.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.