1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. supern0va

supern0va Senior Member

Speaking of classic designs, especially Dover... here’s my shoe-of-the-day: the trusty Dover in rosewood country calf in 606 last!

D6B1DD6C-CF22-45E2-82E3-D0181F529DBA.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

2. sforum1

sforum1 Senior Member

No Carmina comes close to this. Sorry.

3. fracanzano

fracanzano Active Member

agree, but not a hard one. Still my favorite black captoes are my Alden bluchers in shell. 23 years old and still arresting. The whole point of a captoe is to be phlegmatic, if you will, or dowdy, if you prefer. The Alden achieves that perverse appeal richly. The EG is almost too elegant for the type.

4. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

While I enjoy wearing my Beaulieus, I'm afraid they'll be my last pair of EGs. Unfortunately, I just don't see the value proposition. I used to covet the Dovers but I'm getting these made for not much more $:

download.jpg

Unfortunately that's a poor example because on the same website, you can get a pair of shoes by Antonio Maccariello RTW for less than EG, all the while having far superior workmanship and coming from a small workshop in Italy. Sabot also sells shoes by Japanese shoemaker Joe Works, which is comparable quality to EG, if not higher, but sells for quite a bit less.

[​IMG]

You can also look at some shoes coming from Corno Blu, incredible craftsmanship for much less than EG.

[​IMG]

5. sforum1

sforum1 Senior Member

corno blue same as EG? I don't think so. Let's just put it this way. Your beaulieu is the best shoe you own, other similarly priced shoes excluded. Is that a marginal difference and possibly not worth the extra cost (which was your question)? Could be but it's still the best shoe. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

6. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

Haha you make me laugh. My EG's are no where near the best shoes I own, but okay.

7. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

B831, you’re asking a question here that has been debated on this thread ad infinitum. One that has been in the shoe game for a long while, will remember EG’s modest prices only a few years ago. But, it really is as simple as was pointed out in one of the earliest responses. All one has to do is look at the sales they achieve. Clearly, it is worth it to many; now while that fact may not say much in ones opinion. It is the measure, in the physical world, of that original question.

I own a few pairs myself, and think they are beautiful, well made shoes. However, I personally refuse to pay full price for them and only purchase them on sale. I’ve managed to get most every pair I want, and am willing to be patient to wait for the remaining few I still desire. That’s been a compromise that has worked to bridge their insanely overpriced, but awesome shoes, for me.

8. kalufsen

kalufsen Well-Known Member

Dover Dark Oak, 606 - 30 % off! Worth it!

IMG_0421.jpg

9. mockingboy

mockingboy Senior Member

@benjamin831

JoeWorks is not close to EG in terms of finish or uppers; I have a ton of EGs and two Joe Works and it really is different. Is it 500-750 difference, probably not but that’s not how these decisions are based as previously discussed.

10. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Well explained! I feel exactly the same.
    EG is indeed pinnacle of machine-made shoes but insanely overpriced (same as JL GG) with current mark-up factor approaching 6.

11. sforum1

sforum1 Senior Member

Let's hear it then. If EG is not your best pair among among all your shoes that are priced at a lower point, which one is it then? I don't know if you realized but you and I and everyone else here are effectively agreeing on everything. Well, possibly except the part where you tried to convince us that corno blu and joeworks are in the same league with EG. But that aside, why specifically talk about EG? Can you or anyone else name another insanely priced shoe that is worth 100% its ridiculous price? You want to talk about bespoke? $6000? Is that reasonable? Are those shoes worth their price tag? Again, $6000, for a pair of shoes? Pause for a second. $6000. For a pair of shoes? Can I assume they fly? $6000 can buy you a car. And you do understand that 99.99% of the population wears shoes that cost no more than $40 and they are perfectly good shoes and in most ways no different than the $6000 ones. No reasonable person will ever be able to explain a $6000 shoe, period. So what I'm saying is don't make your next question be 'are bespoke shoes worth it'? By now we should know the answer to that.

Again, we heard many opinions on this. And what I saw is that pretty much everyone is in agreement with you. And that is regardless of whether they own none, 1, 2, 3 or 23 pairs of EG. And that is regardless of whether they will continue to pay the $1400/pair or not.

12. JoeBlack0

JoeBlack0 Active Member

Hey, how would you compare edward green against carmina/crockett and jones? I know they’re very different pricepoints but i’m curius.
    Are EG more comfortable, or maybe they age better? Maybe the fit is much better? I have a lot of carminas althoug i prefer EG. Would you say it’s mainly a design difference with some small “quality” improvements?

13. fracanzano

fracanzano Active Member

As one reply noted, one can get EGs on sale. I got my Dovers for $800 from Mr. Porter. So it would be useful to talk about what people actually pay for their excellent shoes. Of course, no sales on bespoke, but I don't think $6k is insane if you've actually got the money to spare (lots of folks apparently do, but not I) and that's what you want. Back to EG: comparing them to my many other shoes, I would say they're definitely worth the 800, but I wouldn't pay 1600 for them. My Weston Demi-Chasse, which were 1000 retail at the time, but which I got from Leather Soul for $500, are, in terms of workmanship, somewhat better, and the leathers, top and bottom, are fantastic (these and the Dovers are both split-toe bluchers, of course, but that's where the resemblance ends -- two totally different aesthetics, but both really beautiful, I think). Not that EG calf is not outstanding. I haven't yet spent $1000 on a pair of shoes, though I'm frequently tempted. But then my real estate taxes and insurances and other little things come to mind and make me pause long enough not to do it.

14. fracanzano

fracanzano Active Member

I can't answer as I have neither Carmina nor C&J, but I would like to interject that, though not as elegant (elegance is not always the main criterion), over the course of quite a few years, I have found again and again that easily the best quality to price ratio is to be found in Tricker's shoes; I would take them over Church's any day, perhaps partially because they fit my feet better. I said before that I think their Marron antique leather is fantastic (besides lilac and electric blue Roberts, I have only marron antique, black, and gorse shade c from them, in multiples). They're best, I think, for full brogues and plain derbies, and of course for heavy country shoes, like the Woodstock or, even more so, the Keswick. And you can almost always get them (they generally retail for about 400-500 pounds) for under $400. They had a sale after Christmas, and I got two pairs, first quality of course and perfect, for $200 each, including shipping to the States!

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Whether you're buying AE, EG, or bespoke, these things are only worth it depending on how much a particular pair of shoes will bring you joy and your budget. It seems strange to me why someone would try to make what's an inherently very subjective decision into an objective science. You're not buying computer equipment, you're buying fashion. Comparing specs, to me, seems to miss the point.