• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
If I bought something from Borghini now to take advantage of the 20% off, and it's above $800--call it 1000USD--how much should I expect to pay in duty and other fees at delivery if shipped by DHL? Ayone has any recent experience ordering >$800 goods from the EU and delivered either by DHL or UPS? Thank you.

TokenMao

Reaction score
If I bought something from Borghini now to take advantage of the 20% off, and it's above $800--call it 1000USD--how much should I expect to pay in duty and other fees at delivery if shipped by DHL? Ayone has any recent experience ordering >$800 goods from the EU and delivered either by DHL or UPS? Thank you.

50-100? Not that much.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Alan, Axels in Colorado typically orders a D UK width.

-Mike

Mike-- I confirmed with Candice at Axel's that they will not be adding any more new stock of EG. She indicated that they can order any style they've stocked in the last year without an MTO charge (EG's rules.)

eyeheartny

Reaction score
@eyeheartny

I share your frustration. I’ve literally scoured every corner of the Internet for EG stockists of C and D fittings. No luck!

It’s basically an inventory carrying risk management strategy. These are pricey shoes and no retailer wants to be left holding unsold units or worse, offload them at a huge loss. So they play safe and stock “average” widths and sizes (whatever that means).

My problem is compounded by the fact that I’m a size UK 11.5 (US 12). Trying to find retailers that carry anything above size 10 UK is like Columbus first voyage to the new world.

My business background suggests to me there might be a real opportunity for someone willing to risk stocking only unusual widths and sizes in Edward Green.

Alan Bee

We could consider trying to put together a group MTO for a few makeups we might be interested in and run it through Gentlemen's Footwear or another shop like Axel's that might be amenable. I don't know if anyone here knows what the minimums are for an EG order before they aren't a special order. I live in San Diego so I could coordinate it through Steve at GF, meet with him, etc.

Any interest? We could post here, on Reddit, etc and see what kind of interest we could gin up. What are you interested in? I'm primarily on the trail of a few pairs of Galways on the 82 last but could be interested in a few other potential styles depending.

Reactions: AHS

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could consider trying to put together a group MTO for a few makeups we might be interested in and run it through Gentlemen's Footwear or another shop like Axel's that might be amenable. I don't know if anyone here knows what the minimums are for an EG order before they aren't a special order. I live in San Diego so I could coordinate it through Steve at GF, meet with him, etc.

Any interest? We could post here, on Reddit, etc and see what kind of interest we could gin up. What are you interested in? I'm primarily on the trail of a few pairs of Galways on the 82 last but could be interested in a few other potential styles depending.
It's actually easy to order up other widths. Just need to wait a few months (hand stitching is longer). Ordered up various widths like c, d and g before.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@eyeheartny

For a company as mature as EG, sourcing shoes in ones size has proved to be of a “sword fight with the devil” to put it mildly. I mean, they aren’t exactly a “boutique” maker and one would expect them to have a wider range of fits on offer in the RTW marketplace.

Regarding MTO, the upcharge and waiting time is what really kills it for me. One has to really want a specific pair for shoes to pay 250 pounds upcharge then wait 3/4 months to take delivery. Almost $2000 for a basic shoe, and more for hallmarks like the Dover, Shannon etc.

Personally, I decided that if I have to pay that kind on money and wait that long, I’d rather get something more unique and special. Especially since I have unusual feet (flat, long, narrow, low volume feet).

And so, I just began the semi-bespoke process with St. Crispin. They make you a modified personal last, make you a trial pair, then proceed to make you a hand-made, hand-welted pair of almost bespoke shoes.

All for the same cost as an EG MTO. Not rocket science in my books.

I will continue to take advantage of special sales run by the Jermyn St. Store to pick out C and D widths. But going MTO for what essentially is a Goodyear welted RTW, albeit one of the best in the market, right now doesn’t look like good value.

And this is from a guy who has worn EG almost exclusively since 2005. I had to trade off (for a pittance of fair value) a collection of almost 20 pair of EG’s cos I now wear orthotics. I’m rebuilding from ground zero now.

Alan Bee

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
@eyeheartny

For a company as mature as EG, sourcing shoes in ones size has proved to be of a “sword fight with the devil” to put it mildly. I mean, they aren’t exactly a “boutique” maker and one would expect them to have a wider range of fits on offer in the RTW marketplace.

Regarding MTO, the upcharge and waiting time is what really kills it for me. One has to really want a specific pair for shoes to pay 250 pounds upcharge then wait 3/4 months to take delivery. Almost $2000 for a basic shoe, and more for hallmarks like the Dover, Shannon etc.

Personally, I decided that if I have to pay that kind on money and wait that long, I’d rather get something more unique and special. Especially since I have unusual feet (flat, long, narrow, low volume feet).

And so, I just began the semi-bespoke process with St. Crispin. They make you a modified personal last, make you a trial pair, then proceed to make you a hand-made, hand-welted pair of almost bespoke shoes.

All for the same cost as an EG MTO. Not rocket science in my books.

I will continue to take advantage of special sales run by the Jermyn St. Store to pick out C and D widths. But going MTO for what essentially is a Goodyear welted RTW, albeit one of the best in the market, right now doesn’t look like good value.

And this is from a guy who has worn EG almost exclusively since 2005. I had to trade off (for a pittance of fair value) a collection of almost 20 pair of EG’s cos I now wear orthotics. I’m rebuilding from ground zero now.

Alan Bee

Where and how have you done this?

For a stock model, just call Steve at GF and he should be able to add it to their next run of that model. I have done this before with EG and do it all the time on stock models with Alden as well.

-Mike

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dovers on 202
04CA32D5-4FC8-4422-96DA-D7A55FE510CC.jpeg

sforum1

Reaction score
I guess I have to pose this question to all of you. Most of you own a gazillion pairs of shoes, and when we say shoes we are saying really the best of the absolute best. Now this is what I'm wondering: are any of you willing to join me in saying that the EG Chelsea on the 82 last in doak is your absolute favorite? It's something about its simplicity and its understated elegance. Whenever I wear my pair and come back home at night to take it off, I look at the other 30 pairs I own and go like 'I really could live without all of you'. The next morning I have another 30 choices (a very beautiful shoe collection after I got rid of many pairs I was not 100% happy with) but I still want to go back to the one I wore the day before.
EG5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads