1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Distinguished Member

3. GheeButtersnaps

GheeButtersnaps Well-Known Member

I’m thinking about MTO’ing a pair of Newmarket Chelseas in suede, intending on wearing them mostly with denim and mostly casual outfits.

Do you guys think the 82 last or 202 last best fits my purpose?

4. TtownMD

TtownMD Distinguished Member

Well this is purely a preference thing. I like 82 last to dress things up & not a huge fan of 202. So my vote is for 82 sir.

5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

6. gte872h

gte872h Senior Member

Long story short, I’m mostly on the streetwear/denim side of things. I have lots of Pacific Northwest stitchdown boots such as Viberg, Wesco, and White’s. Until recently I had the misconception that EG Galways were only Goodyear welted on sleek lasts. I never looked into EG any deeper because of the misconception. In hindsight I can’t believe I wasn’t aware of the 64 last Galway with Veldtschoen construction. :blush:

I see quite a few names I know from the other threads and was hoping someone could help me out with sizing for the F fit 64 last?

I’m just shy of 11E brannock with a high instep
    Various Viberg lasts- size 10 (2030 last is too snug on width but wider lasts are great fit)
    Alden Barrie and Trubalance- 10 E
    Wesco-11 E
    White’s semi dress- 10 E but half size up would be better for toe room
    New Balance/Nike- 11.5

Any help would be very much appreciated.

[EDIT] I’m thinking 10.5 UK. Does this sound right? Can anyone tell me how the F width is relative to Alden E width or Viberg 2030? Thank you

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:30 AM

7. CMT1

CMT1 Senior Member

Welcome to Flavor Country my man, the 64 lasted, Veldtschoen Rosewoods are gorgeous tanks and once you figure out your sizing you are going to love them. :D

Another addition to the Rosewood CC 82 last/Dainite club here. The color is amazing and I can't get enough of it. Without trying to lay it on too thick, these boots are the most exquisitely finished footwear I own and I'm really looking forward to breaking them in and making them truly mine this season.

All pics:

Some favorites:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have one question for longtime Rosewood CC owners - Did anyone else have an imprint on the throat from the shoe trees? It can be seen in my pics, and the outline is noticeable in the below wear shot:

[​IMG]

I assume it will diminish and ultimately fade completely with wear, but I'm curious about how long it will take.

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 12:05 AM

8. FinerThingsInLife

FinerThingsInLife Member

Looking Good! Are those on the 64 last? or 72? (I'm thinking it's the 64....)

9. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

Thank you! You are correct. E64 last.

10. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

11. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Hey fellow EG fans.
    I have a question which I hope the purists among you won't find offensive.
    I'm visiting Melbourne this weekend and decided to take the opportunity to pick up a something nice for myself. The website of the store I'm visiting said they stock EG and St Crispins. After much deliberation I decided to go with St Crispins cos I love that signature Adelaide with alligator patch (https://www.saintcrispins.com/product/oxford-plain-sewn-wing-tip-2/ but in brown).

Anyhow, I just called the store and found out A- they no longer stock St Crispins) BUT B- they're having an EG trunk show so there are some good deals to be had on MTO!

So my question is. Is it a reasonable idea to try and get an MTO EG similar to what I was planning to get ? If not, can anyone suggest some other interesting ideas for an MTO Oxford that's a little more unique and versatile than a plain captoe?

12. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Best to check with DM on what options EG top drawer can do, you still have to stick to EG patterns

13. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Jeez i hope not. Top Drawer is a huge markup right?
    Have you had much experience with EG MTO? What are tge restrictions on regulr mto v top drawer?

14. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

that was 3 to 4 years ago, a lot has changed since then, I only did regular mto. I picked an existing pattern, only works on certain lasts, and picked the leather and soles.

15. smoothie1

smoothie1 Distinguished Member

The Edward Green trunk show usually means that the store waives the MTO surcharge. It depends on your perspective on whether this constitutes a compelling deal. I suppose that adding the alligator facings will probably be fairly expensive, and as others have said, it could push you beyond the standard MTO, requiring top drawer. It would be worthwhile to inquire with the store about specifics in advance to avoid wasting your time and energy. Good luck.